The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Riding Vests?

So I'm looking for a vest to ride in that is lightweight, quilted, and is lower in the back than in the front - not sure if there's a name for that style, I'd just assumed most riding vests were like that?.

I get hot really easily while I ride, even when its in the 30s in the arena, so I'd just be wearing it over a shirt in the winter. I can't seem to find any online that fit the bill.
    Any recommendations?

I have several of these. Very comfortable, side snaps for a fitted look.
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=63661
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.".....Dr. Seuss

I have an Arista vest that I LOVE. Mine is super lightweight but they have quilted ones as well. The cut is gorgeous and In The Stirrup has some on sale for ridiculous deals right now:

http://www.inthestirrup.com/#!bargain-bin

I have a quilted down one from Cabelas that was cheap in their Bargain Cave. It's quite warm and I really like it.

I have another quilted one that was cheap from either TJ Max or Burlington Coat Factory. I don't remember which at this point. Its not down, just some kind of synthetic fill.

I also have one from Old Navy that is fleece inside and outside a canvas type material I ride in spring and fall when its too warm for either of the other two.

I have an Ariat one that I LOVE! I normally don't go for Ariat because I think it's a bit overpriced, but I got it on TOTD last year and it's wonderful. Not heavy, but quilted enough and nice and long. I don't know the style though.

I found one at Kohls that I love.. I'm not sure if it's this same one but it looks pretty similar http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/wome...Suede+Vest.jsp
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

I like some of those, but I don't see any pictures of what the backs look like, so I'm afraid they aren't what I'm looking for. More like this with the curved back http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...subcat_id=8327

When I last purchased a vest from the Horse Studio, it was longer in the back. You just need to call any of the vendors of vests that look appealing to you, and ask about back length.
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

I have this jacket - the sleeves zip off to turn it into a vest, and I'm 95% sure the back is lower than the front, though the description doesn't say so:

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=JP80027

I have a bit of a addiction to vests....I admit. My favorite, hands down, are Golden Dress. I have two and heart them to pieces!!! They fit so clean and elegant. As soon as I put one on I am sure that I will be riding 1 tempies all day even if I am just working on trot transitions. lol. Try them if you can. I think Golden Dress is out of business but not sure. I would check Ebay if they are.
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Quote Originally Posted by good booie View Post
    I have a bit of a addiction to vests....I admit. My favorite, hands down, are Golden Dress. I have two and heart them to pieces!!! They fit so clean and elegant. As soon as I put one on I am sure that I will be riding 1 tempies all day even if I am just working on trot transitions. lol. Try them if you can. I think Golden Dress is out of business but not sure. I would check Ebay if they are.
    LOL, I also love vests and have resolved to not purchase any more. However I do want one in burgundy. I do love the Eous vest mentioned above. Unfortunately mine is in moss green, a discontinued color and I CAN'T FIND MATCHING POLO'S
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I love my Land's End vests.
    I am quite tall so I just get the men's small.

Depending on if you find them on sale they can be a low as $25-30, too.

I agree about the Golden Dress vests. I have one with the lower back and it always looks so elegant. I wear it to work quite a bit and always get compliments on it.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I love my Land's End vests…
    Me too.
    I have all kinds.
    The down vests with the square quilt (last year's style) have a curved back, as do the fleece ones w/the two-way zipper.

You can see the front and back online.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

Those dressage extension vets look nice and reasonably priced. For me, a 2-way zipper is essential. I have a great fleece vest from Pacific Trails that is light, warm and wind proof, and longer in back, but it doesn't have a 2-way zipper so not ideal for riding, unfortunately.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

thanks for the tips! I'm going to go on Ebay and check it out, so far there have only been 2 from Golden Dress, but even used they're pretty pricey! I'll check out Ariat as well (unless the vest zippers are as bad as the boot zippers).

Barbour and Orvis both have some nice ones I've come across as well.

Maybe I should hold off until the end of Jan for the WDM? Even though its in FL, I'd imagine vendors would have vests or 'winter wear' for all the people coming in to spectate from elsewhere(?)

Quote Originally Posted by merry mayhem View Post
    I have several of these. Very comfortable, side snaps for a fitted look.
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=63661
    How would you say they run, sizing-wise? Big, small, true to size?
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Think they run pretty true to size. I need the large (usually wear 8-10) because I have broader shoulders. The snaps on the size help adjust for a tapered look.
    I've ordered one from this company, and there is a size chart listed:

http://www.smartipony.com/windsor-riding-vest

Also, just wanted to add, the vest from Smartipony fit me better and seemed better quality than dressage extensions. Same brand, maybe different product vendors?
    Last edited by merry mayhem; Jan. 6, 2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: additional info
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.".....Dr. Seuss

Thank you!
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website