The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default UPDATE II/Invitation to all COTHers: "Party with a Purpose"in NYC!

As a result of the exciting ideas and very generous offers on the current thread "My experience with the NYC carriage horses", posted by COTHer TotheMAX, I have conferred with folks in the industry, and we are very eager to offer the following:

COTH Day With the NYC Carriage Horses

• ALL COTHers -- carriage industry supporters AND skeptics alike -- are invited to NYC to spend the weekend with the NYC carriage industry

• The weekend would include stable tours, with a meet-and-greet with our farriers, our industry vet, equine nutritionist Renee Eck, our Teamster leader, reps from Blue Star Equiculture of Palmer, MA (the official retirement venue for the Assoc' horses), NYC Council members, reps from the NY State Horse Council, and others. We would also offer COTHers free carriage rides, and plan an evening shindig at a local hotel!

• We can also facilitate visits to the stables of our urban brethren, the riding horses of NYC! Perhaps an organized ride with Kensington Stables of Brooklyn, through beautiful Prospect Park!

• As suggested by COTHers in the aforementioned thread, there would be a support-the-carriage-industry demonstration at Central Park for anyone who would like to participate, to educate the public and to counter-protest the ever-present RARAs!

• This weekend will be a media event! We will send out a press release to all of our media contacts to get as much exposure as possible.

It seems that April is the month so far that people are aiming for....I am floating this now to see how much interest there is, how many people think they can come, and when is good for everybody. Please, would love to hear all thoughts and suggestions!!
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Dec. 29, 2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: update
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Sounds like a super fun weekend and would be there in a heart beat if i was in North America. Since that would give me an excuse to go to NYC for the first time!

Best of luck with it!

P.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sounds like a fantastic excuse to get to NYC!
    And meet other COTHers

If you can keep it inexpensive (COTH discount?) I'd be very interested.
    I have friends in NYC & NJ who might also want to join the fun.
    Please keep posting details as they develop!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

There is a group on FB .. Stopping the Lies about Carriage Horses. It may be of interest to post there too. http://www.facebook.com/groups/254202421264445/
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Count us in! Maybe we can coordinate tix to Warhorse as well....
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I'll be there with bells on! Sounds absolutely great!!! Maybe Eva can give us advice on decent inexpensive hotels? I'll be coming in from Western Mass.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by thathorse View Post
    Count us in! Maybe we can coordinate tix to Warhorse as well....
    We'd need to go make sure they're taking good care of our armor at the Met, too :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    There is a group on FB .. Stopping the Lies about Carriage Horses. It may be of interest to post there too. http://www.facebook.com/groups/254202421264445/
    Thank you for the plug - there are others - Carriage Horse Facts (https://www.facebook.com/carriagehorsefacts) being the main one, as well as Carriage Horse Cruelty - The Facts & Truth (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carri...64550006933684) and NYC carriage horse cruelty~open discussion (https://www.facebook.com/friesianluv1012).

The main anti page is Carriage Horse Cruelty (https://www.facebook.com/CarriageHorseCruelty), but you won't be allowed to post - they don't like facts!

I also have a LinkedIn group - This Business of Horses. If you are on LinkedIn, please join us. No carriage horse discussions yet, but I am working on starting one.

I am waaaaay overdue for a NYC visit - count me in!
    Last edited by TheBarnRules; Dec. 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: add links
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Count me in too plus daughter and future hubby! Willing to carpool even. I'm so excited! This tops planning my wedding even. Oh dear lord that sounds horrible but true!

Dang! I wish I lived closer. That would be a fun, informative weekend, even for an Old Fart!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Count me in! But can we do early to mid-April so we don't conflict with Rolex?
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Oh, I'll be there!

Excellent! I'm definitely in, and I guarantee at least 2-3 companions. Maybe more - I will be talking it up among my barnmates & friends!

Settle on a date soon as you can!

What a fantastic plan!!! Keep us up to date!

I'm in Philly and would definitely be interested in this if costs allow it!

It sounds like an excellent idea! I'm driving distance, so I could definitely be there.

I think that everyone who's planning to come should pass along this information to someone who could be a convert to saving the carriage industry. Visits by the CotH folks is preaching to the choir, we'll be most effective if we can reach someone who's unaware of the far reaching effects of the carriage horse opposition.

I live in Arizona (but am a NY native), if I can swing it, I will be there as well!!!
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Never been to NYC and would like to go. April is hard (we have a long-standing date with a music festival over the tax-day weekend)....

We'll see, though... would be nice to come, see everything, and then write an article for some magazine about the carriage horses!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

oh count me in!
    april works for me as well. oh please can we see warhorse as a group?

i'll drive down from northern vermont and would love to carpool.

hopefully you guys can find a hotel cheap enough. that kind of worries me, so i'm happy to split a room with a couple of fellow cothers.

Dunno if I can get there (work, money, and a con I'm vending at in May) but even if I can't I'll see if I can get my brother interested...at least I'll have a place to stay if I can get there.

would it be unreasonable to wonder if coth powers that be might support us a wee bit?