The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog with arthritis

My BC cross was diagnosed with severe arthritis yesterday. The x-rays were really bad with a lot of furring around the joints.

For now she is on pain meds and we'll give her Glucosamine. He did suggest a course of Adequan. I've heard of it with horses but never on dogs. Apparently $15/shot and a course of 8 shots. Anyone used it. Any other suggestions?

Sorry to hear about your pup's condition. I used the Adequan shots in my senior Lab mix this past spring. I stopped by the vet every 4 days for 8 shots and they'd give it to her in the big muscle down the back of her hind leg (alternating sides for each shot). Fortunately my vet didn't charge anything for the visit - one of the techs would meet me in the lobby, give her the shot, and I paid for it and left.

I can't give a reliable report on how well the shots worked for us. My dog passed away shortly after finishing her loading dose due to undiagnosed cancer (a large mass ruptured in her abdomen) so now we're not sure how much of her discomfort was due to her hips and how much was due to that huge mass in her belly. She did seem to do better during the early part of the loading dose (more playful) and then suddenly wasn't doing as well towards the end of the loading dose. Looking back now, I'm sure it was because of the cancer.

After seeing how well it worked in my horse, I would certainly be willing to give the Adequan shots another try if one of my other dogs seemed to be a good candidate. I would also suggest putting your dog on a joint supplement that has MSM in it, since it can act as a natural anti-inflammatory, and might reduce the amount of pain meds that you need to give her to be comfortable.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

It is used for dogs. If however you have deep pockets, they are now doing stem cell treatments with very encouraging results.
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/...hritis/1204605
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

SkipHi, sorry about your Lab, how very hard to watch her being so sick. I hadn't even thought that I might have to pay for a visit for the Adequan. I think it must be the tech too, as he said $15/shot and 8 shots.

ponygirl, interesting on the stem cell therapy.

For now the pain meds seems to be making a huge difference, she was herding me and running around like crazy again. Maybe just this colder turn in the weather is impacting her a bit more.

I have a cat with extremely severe arthritis, & a coonhound with moderate arthritis. This is what I give them with my vet's blessing:

http://www.synflexforpets.com/

I buy it from the following folks because it's around $4 cheaper, plus they ship free & shipping is super-fast:

http://www.positive-works.com/synflex/pricing.html

In just a couple of weeks, my cat - who looked like she'd broken a hip - was bouncing around like her normal self, & only has occasional bad days when it's very cold/damp/rainy out (but I'm a bit wonky on those days as well!), & my dog NEVER has any wonky days anymore. Both animals are in their mid to late teens.

Can't recommend this product strongly enough. Definitely worth a try. If you do decide to try it, make sure you order the "beef-flavored for pets" - even the cat wolfs it down in her food. The regular variety is orange flavored.

Thanks - it all went down within 24 hours so for her sake we were glad it happened very quickly. Very traumatic for the people though!

Forgot to mention - if she doesn't have one already, get your pup a really supportive orthopedic type bed to lay on. I can tell a big difference in my old ones while getting up and down when they've been laying on one of those beds versus on the floor or on a less supportive bed.

Do you have any facilities nearby that could offer swimming therapy for her? We have a couple of places near Raleigh but not close enough for us. I would've considered trying this to help my girl gain/maintain muscle tone without the stress on her hips. I was also going to try accupuncture to help manage pain/discomfort but just never got an appointment scheduled with the vet.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

So sorry to hear about your dog Skip, but glad she went quickly. What kind of orthopedic bed would you recommend? I've been wondering about getting one for my lab.

I have a middle-aged lab with arthritis along with some other health issues. We started him on Adequan in the spring and it has helped quite a bit. He still isn't 100% at all, but he's significantly more comfortable than he used to be and is able to go for much longer hikes and walks. At this point when he's not feeling well I think it's related to his other health issues- not the arthritis. Anyway, I'd definitely recommend the Adequan, I'm really glad we have my lab on it!

I give my dog the injections myself, if you're comfortable doing that you might ask your vet about it. It's much cheaper and easier for me. I hope your dog starts feeling better!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Lone - I ended up making my own! The cheaper ones I bought that claimed to be "orthopedic" kept deflating And I couldn't bring myself to spend $200 on a dog bed I used an orthopedic foam mattress topper for a single bed. I cut the topper into 3 pieces, then layered them on top of each other, and used the cover off of one of our rectangular dog beds. Worked great and after much use it's still thick and supportive.