The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,369

    Default Tasers, sprays. . .dangerous dog deterrent?

    (This is NOT the dog I posted about a few weeks ago, who mine scuffled with).

    We've got an aggressive dog on the street and I am honestly concerned about walking mine now. I'd never seen this dog before, though I'd heard him barking and knew someone had a large dog.

    This morning he was out. Thankfully I noticed him before taking mine out for their morning constitutional; it scares me to death to think what might have happened.

    He charged two neighbors who went out to pick up their newspapers; one woman barely got through her door. Chased another neighbor's car down the street. Went after someone else's dog. And the kicker: a new neighbor and her son were moving in a couple of doors away from Aggressive Dog; Aggressive Dog had trapped them in their car in the driveway, a la Cujo. She called Animal Control. Dog looks sort of like what you'd get from crossing a SharPei with a Mastiff.

    My husband went down to see what he could do (armed with Louisville Slugger); he got the full story from everyone else. Apparently everyone knew where the dog lived, but could NOT get the owner to come to the door. AC arrived, got the (furious) dog on a catch pole and into the truck. They couldn't rouse the owner either but said they'd cite him. DH says, "hang on", POUNDED the door, and finally woke the owner up. Words were exchanged, papers signed, and he got the dog back. (I really wish DH hadn't bothered - at least then Aggressive Dog would have spent a couple of days in the pound).

    The dog is "not his"; he says he's been keeping it for a friend, not that it really matters. He said he's got a "shored-up electric fence". They haven't lived here long and of course, now the dog has figured a way out.

    I'm terrified. I've planned out an alternate walk route, but would really like a suggestion on something I can carry and that I can manage accurately with two leashed dogs. A Taser is not, at $400, really in the budget at the moment.

    This dog's a nasty piece of work and I have a feeling he won't stick around long; the immediate neighbors were complaining that they were kept up all night by barking, for one thing. (We suspect the owner was sleeping off a drunk, based both on the fact that he didn't hear the dog barking all night, didn't hear the people knocking on his door, and the huge pile of beer cans in his recycle bin).

    Any ideas? Mace is a thought, but that could get bad for us if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. There's a shock baton that's about $75. . .



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,536

    Default

    yep, load up your dogs in the car, and walk them somewhere else until Aggressive Dog is gone.

    Seriously.....I'm all about being as safe as you can and the best way to avoid getting hurt is to avoid this for the time being.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,271

    Default

    Bear mace...has a range of 35 feet, and sprays in a cloud.
    Cattle prod.
    Stun gun (just turning it on makes most dogs scatter).



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    yep, load up your dogs in the car, and walk them somewhere else until Aggressive Dog is gone.

    Seriously.....I'm all about being as safe as you can and the best way to avoid getting hurt is to avoid this for the time being.
    I had been considering this already; I may head over to my mom's neck of the woods, about a mile away.
    Aggressive Dog seems to be very territorial, as he wasn't roaming. But he's claimed an entire end of the street as his territory. Sigh. Why do people keep dogs like this? I'm sure he had little training or socialization as a puppy. Don't know if he still has his nuts, as I wasn't going to get close enough to check. But I'd bet on it.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    16,875

    Default

    Will Animal Control work with you? They take a dim view of loose dogs (especially bothering livestock) in my county. We've had a problem with a neighbor...I caught her dogs in my horse pasture. We can shoot them if they're harassing livestock (I won't), but AC comes out immediately.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I had been considering this already; I may head over to my mom's neck of the woods, about a mile away.
    Aggressive Dog seems to be very territorial, as he wasn't roaming. But he's claimed an entire end of the street as his territory. Sigh. Why do people keep dogs like this? I'm sure he had little training or socialization as a puppy. Don't know if he still has his nuts, as I wasn't going to get close enough to check. But I'd bet on it.
    I have no idea why people keep dogs like this, it baffles me too. The liability of having such an aggressive dog is nuts....about the time this dogs puts his mouth on someone, it won't matter if Dude claims it's not his dog.....

    Last year we investigated a car crash where three horses got out, one ran in front of a car. Horse died, passenger was badly injured. We were called back to the same residence recently for a different issue and the 70+ year old home owner who didn't own the horse that was involved, is being sued for $50k . That's right, $50k. It wasn't his horse but he was still liable because it was being kept on his property.

    Can't see where it would be that different for a dog bite.

    Which, of course, does you no good right now.....but with a recent history of trapping people in their vehicles and threatening others, it's probably just a matter of time till this dog actually bites someone or their pet.

    That's why I suggested you go elsewhere for a bit and stay safe.

    People like this guy make me angry as well....it's not fair to the neighborhood, this dog and the pets in the neighborhood. Dogs like this reflect badly on all dog owners.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 21, 2011
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Aggressive Dog seems to be very territorial, as he wasn't roaming. But he's claimed an entire end of the street as his territory.
    That'd be the effing end of it right there.

    If animal control won't impound the damned dog, I'd be liable to take a walk around where he is and let him rush me. Mr Glock will speak. The aggressive dog will be no more. And the law will be on my side.

    I will not cower in fear on my own street.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    There is spray meant for dogs, I really wouldn't get the bear spray tempting as it is! The bear spray sprays in a big spread and the odds of you being able to handle your dog on a leash and run the can of bear spray would be not in your favor. You want something that is much easier to carry, grab, and spray without having to worry about getting yourself and your dog in it, remember by they time you see the dog and he's around to spray your dog is going to be freaking out, you're going to be scared, and that bear spray is going to be everywhere. I would absolutely get some spray but get something much easier to handle and direct with one hand. Go hold some bear spray and feel how it handles, it's really not that user friendly, IMO. I've sprayed it for practice and it's not something I would want to do in a pinch. I'd rather shoot our bear gun but of course that is not always the right tool for the job.

    The dog spray would be a lot easier to handle and it's the same ingredients, just packaged differently: http://www.defensedevices.com/anrepbymac.html

    I'm glad where I walk my dogs I could carry a pistol and just be done with the whole thing and no witnesses!

    Stay safe!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,369

    Default

    Common sense has me leaning towards just carting the dogs off to another 'hood for walking. It'll be fun for them, at any rate.

    Aggressive Dog does live in a fenced yard, just to be clear. "Owner" says the fence is electric, but I'm not sure if it's true electric or a perimeter fence with an invisible fence within the border. I did NOT see the invisible fence collar on the dog, though.

    Regardless, he obviously figured out an escape route, making me think he's likely to try it again. I believe they are renters, and I'm going to try to see if I can't track the landlord down. I'm betting the property owner wants nothing to do with that liability.

    As for a gun, I don't think I am a good enough shot to hit a moving target while simultaneously trying to control my TWO leashed dogs. I'm afraid I'd hit one of my own, or a neighbor's house or car.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    May. 21, 2011
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    As for a gun, I don't think I am a good enough shot to hit a moving target while simultaneously trying to control my TWO leashed dogs. I'm afraid I'd hit one of my own, or a neighbor's house or car.
    This would be a quiet walk all by myself.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    11,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Common sense has me leaning towards just carting the dogs off to another 'hood for walking. It'll be fun for them, at any rate.

    Aggressive Dog does live in a fenced yard, just to be clear. "Owner" says the fence is electric, but I'm not sure if it's true electric or a perimeter fence with an invisible fence within the border. I did NOT see the invisible fence collar on the dog, though.

    Regardless, he obviously figured out an escape route, making me think he's likely to try it again. I believe they are renters, and I'm going to try to see if I can't track the landlord down. I'm betting the property owner wants nothing to do with that liability.

    As for a gun, I don't think I am a good enough shot to hit a moving target while simultaneously trying to control my TWO leashed dogs. I'm afraid I'd hit one of my own, or a neighbor's house or car.
    You need to check your local laws before you do anything. You'd be surprised that some of the things suggested in this thread, which you might seriously consider, are in fact illegal in quite a few places.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,271

    Default

    Your local tax office should have a website with the property owner's name and mailing address. Sometimes neighbors of the person have contact info. I know that I give the neighbors of the properties I own/rent out my business card, so they can contact me if there are any problems with my rentals.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    8,201

    Default

    Mara-to find the owner either try googling the county name and "real estate assessor" and put in the address. And in some states the person who has possession of the dog has to admit ownership of the animal to be charged by animal control. Some places you have to go to the courthouse to find out the owner of a property, but usually they have the mailing address also. And if it's a rental see if any of the neighbors remember what the company name is that manages it. Probably you will have to talk to the owner of the real estate company, because many rental managers seem to give too many chances to people that break the rules and endanger others.

    Be careful about what sprays or devices you buy, since some states restrict ownership of mace, tasers, and other defensive devices. However, I like the cattle prod idea, and I doubt anyone restricts that. It is inconceivable to me why someone should have to live in fear of someone's roaming, aggressive animal. If you and the other neighbors can file multiple complaints with animal control I would, since the chance of retaliation are slight when there are a number of people.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    16,875

    Default

    Yes, while in MY county it's legal to shoot dogs harassing livestock (note the harassing livestock qualification) in many areas it's not.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 21, 2011
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Yes, while in MY county it's legal to shoot dogs harassing livestock (note the harassing livestock qualification) in many areas it's not.
    That's why, when the issue of aggressive dogs come up, I always link to my state statute that permits dispatching such aggressive animals when they are threatening or attacking humans or livestock.

    It's a statewide law, and since it is a self defense law, it also overrides local ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    You need to check your local laws before you do anything. You'd be surprised that some of the things suggested in this thread, which you might seriously consider, are in fact illegal in quite a few places.
    Yep.

    I live in town and discharging a firearm in the city limits is illegal here.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    May. 21, 2011
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    Yep.

    I live in town and discharging a firearm in the city limits is illegal here.
    I guarantee you there is an exception in your state law for self defense (either within or outside your home).

    And in my state such an exception includes aggressive dogs.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec. 28, 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    Have every neighbor call AC every instance that the dog is aggressive or breaking any county/town laws. Make sure each and every time it is cited as a complaint. It is harder to do anything if there isn't a paper trail.

    We had this problem with a rental property next door to us. We filed complaints with AC and the property owner. Not much was done until we told the property owner that we would contact the bank he had a loan on the house with and would contact his home owners insurance as well to let them know about the problem dog.

    The tenant was evicted shortly there after.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,369

    Default

    Got the property owner's name off the tax records and composed a rather lengthy letter explaining what happened yesterday and what liabilities he may face if the dog escapes again and bites someone. It's going off via certified mail tomorrow.

    We went a few blocks over and had a nice long walk. Doggies were thrilled - a car ride AND a new place to explore.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    I guarantee you there is an exception in your state law for self defense (either within or outside your home).

    And in my state such an exception includes aggressive dogs.
    you have at it mildot. I'm not going to get arrested (even if found not guilty) over a dog when there are easier ways to solve it.



Similar Threads

  1. How about a chipmunk deterrent?
    By mickeydoodle in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May. 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
  2. Deer deterrent for garden?
    By prudence in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May. 13, 2012, 11:16 PM
  3. Trespassing deterrent
    By CVPeg in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Apr. 26, 2012, 10:36 PM
  4. Cat deterrent?
    By Mara in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr. 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
  5. NEW deer deterrent!!!
    By CatOnLap in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jun. 15, 2009, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness