The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by cuonxc View Post
    That's interesting Hamptomn Bay -I was told a Lauriche probably would not work for his very short back as they tend to be longer???

It is interesting to find what works for horse and rider -so different for each of us! And also a huge PITA
    Not my experience at all, and I've owned 2 of them and ridden in a few more. They ride very big so you can go down a seat size or 2. But even my 18.5" still fit this same Arab when he was younger. It fit him length-wise anyway, was too curved for his flat back.

@Arabiandressage -what panels do you have? Corto or Alto?

And thanks for the kind offer -I am sadly freezing in the Midwest -nowhere near Arizona!

If you see one of these around it might be worth a try also.

http://www.kentandmasters.co.uk/dressage.html

I've just had to replace my KN Symphony which was too long and flat for the horse and too narrow for me.

The 17.5inch K&M dressage seems to be fitting the bill at this time.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Anyone try the new Passier built specifically for short back horses? (It's on their website, I haven't seen it in a store.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Cool Pds alto aldea showtime

Quote Originally Posted by cuonxc View Post
    @Arabiandressage -what panels do you have? Corto or Alto?

And thanks for the kind offer -I am sadly freezing in the Midwest -nowhere near Arizona!
    I have the Alto and it's plenty short in the panel, shorter than my reflex, I can measure it if you like. I got the Alto because my mares back slopes ever so slightly down in to her withers, but is not butt high so the recommendation was the alto as is thicker up front in the panel to give the withers more clearance. The corto is for a flatter back, it's also I think a half an inch shorter but having never measured it don't hold me to it, just what I was told. Anyway this mare needs a hoop tree and I don't think my gelding I use it on is going to get any better so if you know of anyone wanting a used one it's a 17.5 aldea Showtime with the upgraded leather and stitching and external knee blocks. Will sadly put it on eBay...just killing me I love that saddle.

i know this is an older thread but i had a question for those that have the saddle - how wide is the gullet all the way from front to back? i have a horse that will most likely need the alto panels (huge withers with a rather significant slope down to his back) but needs a wide gullet - 4 fingers or so which would come out to ~4" or so, maybe a little more depending on how the panels sit. thanks!

How does the PDS fit on a TB? Both my girls have big withers and BIG shoulders but have normal TB backs...so wide up front and medium in the back.

I just bought a PDS showtime for my TB Mare. It has a very open pommel so it might well be a good fit for a big shoulder'd horse. The gullet is very generous as is the seat width, panels are wide and tend to be on the flatter side if your horse has a wide flat back it's a good fit. Changing the gullet is a breeze. My TB actually took the XW in the gullet, she has no wither and a fairly straight, flat back. I got the PDS on closeout so it was deeply discounted (I believe they are coming out with a new model).