The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is a 30 day notice?

It is the date you give notice plus 30 days? or the date you give notice to the exact next day the following month (example give notice on the 19th - pay until the following 19th).

Contract is a month to month contract. States 30 day notice is required.

Serve your written 30 day notice with your last payment (if paying in advance).

Serve your written 30 day notice with your next to last payment (if paying in arrears).

That way there is no confusion about you leaving while still owing a month's board. This worked for me every time I gave notice while renting a home.

Notifying Dec 19 means you'll pay for the entire month of January and be out of the barn on or before the last day of January. Yes, January has 31 days.

You might find a barn willing to prorate so you only pay for January 1-19th, but I doubt it. It really means 'next month is my last month.'

Every place I've boarded, 30 days means 30 days (or 1 month). Meaning, if I give notice on December 19, I'm letting my BO know that I'm taking my horse out on January 19. Now, I prefer giving more than 30 days as I've kept a good relationship with all my past BOs (never know if you'll need them again sometime) and there was only once that I gave 30 days, paid for that 30 days and took my horse on day 20 of that notice. They had the money, but no more horse to take care of - it worked out for all involved.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

The only person who can answer that is the other party to your contact. Straight 30 day notice is "30 days" ... but most people tend to default to one month. So notice today means you pay through end of January. People often refer to rental agreements as a definition of 30 days but every rental agreement/lease I've had has specifically spelled out that it is one calendar month notice - notice by the end of the month prior to your leaving - eg notice must be given by Dec 31 if you are moving out before Feb 1. Most "30 day" notices aren't that detailed.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Notifying Dec 19 means you'll pay for the entire month of January and be out of the barn on or before the last day of January. Yes, January has 31 days.

You might find a barn willing to prorate so you only pay for January 1-19th, but I doubt it. It really means 'next month is my last month.'
    This, and mildot, are exactly right. There is no 30 day notice ending on the 11th or 19th or 23rd. If you give notice today, it means you have the stall all of January. What ever day you move your horse (prior to the end of January) doesn't matter; since you will have paid the full board amount for January.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

It depends on what your boarding agreement says - I've written them where 30 days means 30 days from the end of the current month (so if you give notice on January 19, 30 days is from the last day of January), or 30 days means 30 days from the date of notice.

If your boarding agreement doesn't specify, can you ask what is common at your barn? Some barns have a 30 day policy but will sometimes let a boarder go sooner.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

I would say it depends on your agreement.

At one place, where I paid in arrears, 30 days was 30 days - I left on the 8th and paid to the 8th.

Most places, where I pay in advance, I just assume it is until the end of the next month. So, if I give notice on the 19th, I assume I have until the end of the next month to get out. I usually give an exact day as soon as I know, but it also gives a little cushion if, say, my ride can't pick my horse up that day or I need to wait an extra day or two for the new place, etc.

I consider it a bonus if I get any board money back if I leave before the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    There is no 30 day notice ending on the 11th or 19th or 23rd.
    There is, but it is unusual. That is why I set my answer up the way I did.

If a contract says "30 days" it means "30 days." If it says "one month" it means "one month." While some folks interpret "30 days" to mean "one month" (and vice versa) that's not technically correct.

Laws can vary from place to place, but in general language means what it says.

Unless, I guess, you want to engage in "Humpty Dumpty Logic." Google it for laughs.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    This, and mildot, are exactly right. There is no 30 day notice ending on the 11th or 19th or 23rd. If you give notice today, it means you have the stall all of January. What ever day you move your horse (prior to the end of January) doesn't matter; since you will have paid the full board amount for January.
    Totally, totally contract dependent.

I have boarded many places and all the contracts read the same.

"30 day written notice is required when removing your horse from the boarding facility"

Apparently this can be taken many ways by how everyone responded.

I always paid my board a month ahead - when giving written notice I date the letter, add 30 days to that date and give it to the BO. Not a problem.

If I were to give notice on the 15th of the month - and then stay until the end of the following month that would be a 45 day notice.