The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any saddles that fit close to a county innovation?

I was wondering what other brand names might fit my horse if he fits in a county innovation. He is a MW in the county innovation. Any advice would be appreciated!

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

CWD pro fit, County medium wide and Tad Coffin original tree all sat beautifully on my mare with a broad back.

I have a County Innovation XTR and LOVE IT!!!

Warning though - the Innovation (and only THAT model with County) runs VERY VERY WIDE.

So a MW Innovation is really like a generous WIDE or nearly an XW in other models of County and definitely in other brands.

My mare is in the XW County Innovation, and it is truly more like a XXW in any other brand saddle.

And the XW County Stabilizer is too narrow for her. So just remember the Innovation runs VERY WIDE. At least one size wide, if not 1.5 sizes wider.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Okay thanks. I have a county innovation XTR and love it but would like to have another saddle that is brown because mine is black. I don't want to fork out another 4k for a new county.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganLuvr848 View Post
    Okay thanks. I have a county innovation XTR and love it but would like to have another saddle that is brown because mine is black. I don't want to fork out another 4k for a new county.
    Well you can find a brown used one for closer to $2K I love mine so much, I can't imagine riding in any other saddle now
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Check with County, I think it might be "demo sale" time.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy That View Post
    Well you can find a brown used one for closer to $2K I love mine so much, I can't imagine riding in any other saddle now
    I have been looking for a used XW Innovation in any color and can't find one! I guess there aren't many people with horses as wide as ours! My rep has been checking the demo list each time a new one comes out, but XWs just don't come up very often
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I have been looking for a used XW Innovation in any color and can't find one! I guess there aren't many people with horses as wide as ours! My rep has been checking the demo list each time a new one comes out, but XWs just don't come up very often
    Yeah. There aren't like any MW innovations on the market.

Fine Used Saddles seems to get more Counties than most ... she has both MW & XW CI's but that's only the beginning of course

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Fine Used Saddles seems to get more Counties than most ... she has both MW & XW CI's but that's only the beginning of course
    Yea they do seem to get some in stock. Some of their saddles are mis-stamped and what I would consider overpriced. Like one of their innovations said would cost close to 5,000 new and they priced it at 3,500. That is very overpriced. That particular saddle would cost 4,000 new and it is not marked correctly. I wouldn't pay more than 3k for that saddle.

The world of consignment saddles is always open to offers.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    The world of consignment saddles is always open to offers.
    Will they really? I thought it was a no-haggle website.

I agree that the XW County Innovation XTR is like finding a needle in a haystack. I LUCKED OUT that I got mine from a Private Seller who bought it directly from a County Rep (it was the County Reps' personal riding saddle for a couple years)

I also lucked-out because XW size in the Innovation is sooo wide, that there isn't a large market out there for them, and she was willing to come down on price. I truly did get mine for just over $2K, in gorgeous condition!

Keep looking! Agree that any consignment place is open to offers. I just made an offer on a used ThinLine I saw on a website....it being used, and what I would consider overpriced - I emailed and said I'd buy it for X price. They asked the owner (consigner) and it was a done deal within hours
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

I agree that the XW County Innovation XTR is like finding a needle in a haystack. I LUCKED OUT that I got mine from a Private Seller who bought it directly from a County Rep (it was the County Reps' personal riding saddle for a couple years)

I also lucked-out because XW size in the Innovation is sooo wide, that there isn't a large market out there for them, and she was willing to come down on price. I truly did get mine for just over $2K, in gorgeous condition!

Keep looking! Agree that any consignment place is open to offers. I just made an offer on a used ThinLine I saw on a website....it being used, and what I would consider overpriced - I emailed and said I'd buy it for X price. They asked the owner (consigner) and it was a done deal within hours
    WOW! Congrats! I do have a saddle to use while im waiting so I will just sit back and wait for one. Thanks for the info about giving an offer that doesn't meet their price.

I am so insanely jealous! If you even come across another one, keep me in mind!!
    www.southcross.com

For those looking for that needle in a haystack. Remember to do the following:

- Google regularly
    - Go to all the good tack sites/consignment sites regularly (I have a really comprehensive list if anyone wants it)
    - Use AllofCraigs.com or SearchTempest.com (because some folks just post things to CL, and they are all usually willing to ship)
    - And of course, ebay....

I found mine on just a regular Google search for: "XW County Innovation"

(and BTW, if you try that particular search, all my "Chocolate Hippo" threads show up... Too funny! That is my mares' nickname)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

The County reps always have a huge inventory of demos they're moving out. When I was looking at them, I was considering purchasing an Innovation demo in their upgraded leather for around $3K (it was over $1000 off). So definitely check with your local rep to see what is available. They might also know of ones for sale by private owners.

For those looking for that needle in a haystack. Remember to do the following:

- Google regularly
    - Go to all the good tack sites/consignment sites regularly (I have a really comprehensive list if anyone wants it)
    - Use AllofCraigs.com or SearchTempest.com (because some folks just post things to CL, and they are all usually willing to ship)
    - And of course, ebay....

I found mine on just a regular Google search for: "XW County Innovation"

(and BTW, if you try that particular search, all my "Chocolate Hippo" threads show up... Too funny! That is my mares' nickname)
    I've seen that thread!! I google it every day from work and your thread always comes up.
    www.southcross.com

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I've seen that thread!! I google it every day from work and your thread always comes up.
    Too funny! I guess because I have "XW County Innovation" so many times on those threads, they keep coming up at the top of the Google search? Maybe this thread will start popping up too, since we've written that phrase so many times.

Good luck on the search!

BTW - the other saddle I tried, when I was saddle shopping, that seems to fit pretty well - but didn't fit ME - was the Black Country QuantumX in size XW. There's one for sale on ebay right now....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**