The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Dressage at Devon-Thorncroft no longer beneficiary?

I heard over the weekend that Thorncroft has "resigned" (for lack of a better word) as beneficiary of Dresage at Devon. Has anyone else heard this? I am wondering who the new beneficiary will be and if they have the volunteer base that Thorncroft does. DAD has been a tradition for years and I hope it will continue.

Default very interesting

This would be big news; wonder why no one has had anything to say - either admitting or denying.....

Oh yeah, Jon Bon Jovi isn't dead either...........

TEC & DAD have had a love/hate relationship for almost 20 yrs so it wouldn't shock me if they went their seperate ways.

Unhappy Bene-blues

Quote Originally Posted by wineberrywillie View Post
    TEC & DAD have had a love/hate relationship for almost 20 yrs so it wouldn't shock me if they went their seperate ways.
    Given the labor intensive nature of TEC's involvement I'd be curious to know how it breaks down monitarily. Number of TEC volunteers, hours spent pre/during and post show divided by actual gift donation. TV news the other day was giving guidelines on what to look for when donating to or for a charity. One suggestion was to compare ratio of organizations budget & expenditures vs. actual dollars ending up in the coffers of the benefit. Good advice for all. Meanwhile I did see Elvis at the mall.

Dressage at Devon currently has a fundraiser for new footing in the warmup area - to the tune of $300,000.
    Cynical me wonders if the donation to Thorncroft was cut because of this.

I do know that Thorncroft spends an enormous amount of time and energy to get the volunteers & supplies to staff the various booths - beer garden, pita palace, wine & cheese, sweet shop & coffee, kids' corner, souvenirs, ushers & program sales, etc, etc, etc.

Sad. Thorncroft does an amazing job in therapeutic riding for people with all sorts of disabilities, in the most supportive ways. I'm sure this decision was not made lightly, especially in this tight economy.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Interesting.

When these types of things happen, they generally end up being about the money- after the smoke clears. Thorncroft undoubtably needs all funding that they can wrangle- so, walking away would be interesting. OTOH, as mentioned, it is astounding the amount of effort they put in, every year, manning the booths, in order to make the $$ for food sales, etc.

I understand that at least one person has been drawing a salary for the past couple of years, on the DAD end. I'm not sure how this would affect the situation, but, obviously, it draws down the pot.

This has been an interesting trip- from seperating from DVCTA, to this. Hmmm...
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Back "in the day" when Dressage at Devon was a "committee" of DVCTA, (1998-2005 or so) DaD used to have gross revenues of ~$400-600,000. Haven't looked at things recently...so discussions about money could certainly be in play.

Here are the players
    http://dressageatdevon.org/cms/index...=133&Itemid=66

DAD Board of Directors
    • Chairman of the Board - Phelps T. "Mike" Riley – Wyomissing, PA
    • President/CEO - Lori Kaminski – North East, MD
    • Alison Head – Hamilton, VA
    • John Henderson – Drexel Hill, PA
    • Johnny Robb – Loxahatchee, FL
    Officers of Dressage at Devon
    • Sr. Vice President - Melanie Sloyer – Downingtown, PA
    • Treasurer - Glen Robinson – Lincoln University, PA
    • Secretary - Ann Calligan – West Chester, PA

I have seen nothing official or unofficial about this except from the OP. After donating a horse to them this year I have some contact and nothing has been said.
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/

Nothing 'official' has been said. This is certainly a rumor until proven true or false. However, the OP did put it up here and it's now in the public domain; and open to discussion.

ASB Stars: there are a "few" more salaries being paid.

Nelzeagle: I think I read that DAD was only going to cough up $30,000 towards the total cost to redo the footing in the Dixon Oval. The Devon Horse Show was doing the rest.

Thorncroft has put in so many uncounted hours, dollars, help, etc, etc, over the years; maybe they're just TIRED!!!! They are listed as the main beneficiary - but that does not mean the ONLY beneficiary. It must be gut-wrenching to see money they helped raise be given to other groups. The statement was made: "It's DAD's money, and we choose who to give it to.."

The "exempt purpose" of "New DaD" is:
    "Dresage at Devon promotes the sport of dressage and the provision of dressage education. The majority of the net proceeds are donated to the benefit of Thorncroft Therapeautic Horseback Riding, Inc." (Form 990 Part III, Par. 4a)

PT- thanks for that- when DAD was under the auspices of DVCTA, I was under the impression rightly or wrongly- that no one pulled a salary. That all changed after **they** took control.

I recall one year, when there was some discussion about the proceeds being divided in some fashion between more than one beneficiary. I believe that Thorncroft was a bit concerned about that-- and, rightfully so.

Fascinating...carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post
    PT- thanks for that- when DAD was under the auspices of DVCTA, I was under the impression rightly or wrongly- that no one pulled a salary. That all changed after **they** took control.

I recall one year, when there was some discussion about the proceeds being divided in some fashion between more than one beneficiary. I believe that Thorncroft was a bit concerned about that-- and, rightfully so.

Fascinating...carry on!

Honestly....one of the reasons for the split from DVCTA is that the running of DAD had gotten to be a HUGE responsibility and was taxing/overwhelming on a volunteer organization. Most large shows and HTs are now run professionally. Most have paid positions...hire secretaries and managers. There are huge issues with volunteer burn out.... and have been for a long time. I think even if DAD hadn't split from DVCTA...you would have certainly seen paid positions with certain management of that show contracted out to professionals.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Honestly....one of the reasons for the split from DVCTA is that the running of DAD had gotten to be a HUGE responsibility and was taxing/overwhelming on a volunteer organization. Most large shows and HTs are now run professionally. Most have paid positions...hire secretaries and managers. There are huge issues with volunteer burn out.... and have been for a long time. I think even if DAD hadn't split from DVCTA...you would have certainly seen paid positions with certain management of that show contracted out to professionals.
    I was under the impression that liability was the number one issue. Of course, it did take over 25 years for them to figure out that this was overwhelming from a labor standpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post
    I was under the impression that liability was the number one issue. Of course, it did take over 25 years for them to figure out that this was overwhelming from a labor standpoint?

Yes that was also a major factor. The liability issues also factor into why you contract out some of the work to professionals as well.

The overwhelming labor point also really comes to a head when certain "key" volunteers start to burn out. Happens to a lot to major shows and volunteer organizations....especially these days.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by puddytat View Post

Nelzeagle: I think I read that DAD was only going to cough up $30,000 towards the total cost to redo the footing in the Dixon Oval. The Devon Horse Show was doing the rest.

"
    The Devon Horse show and Fair Foundation runs the Capital Improvements campaign, not DAD.

http://www.devonhorseshow.net/docs/D...l_Campaign.pdf
    According to the Devon Horse show footing in the Dixon Oval is on the list of completed projects.
    New footing in the schooling area ($300,000) is on the 'to do' list.

If DAD is going to contribute towards the Capital Improvements that's great.

A major reason for the split was the DAD committee chafing under the DVCTA By-Laws, which required the committe to toe the line regarding the hiring of officials, review of the budget, and keeping DVCTA in the loop as to what DAD was up to. DAD felt it was "too big" to have to adhere to the requirements of the bylaws. It was the ($$)tail wagging the dog, since their $600,000 budget completely overshadowed the club's $40,000 budget, and they wanted a bigger "say" in how the club was run. Hence, the DAD'ers stacked the DVCTA Board with their own members for a few years. Then, when the split happened, they just drifted off and now have very little to do with the club.
    DAD's legacy to DVCTA is the huge pledge to the USDF's Building Fund, made by DAD (without the knowledge of the DVCTA Board). DVCTA was left holding the bag on the pledge, and is now trying to scrape together the funds to pay the yearly pledge amount.
    There have always been salaries paid - yes some are to professionals; but some have been to committee members for doing jobs that could just as well have been done by professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Yes that was also a major factor. The liability issues also factor into why you contract out some of the work to professionals as well.

The overwhelming labor point also really comes to a head when certain "key" volunteers start to burn out. Happens to a lot to major shows and volunteer organizations....especially these days.
    It seems to me that many of those volunteers became the nucleus of the **new** DAD, and are some of those folks drawing salaries, now.

Also, hiring professional help is WHY they had liability issues-- bad contract, bad biz= prospective lawsuit.

A major reason for the split was the DAD committee chafing under the DVCTA By-Laws, which required the committe to toe the line regarding the hiring of officials, review of the budget, and keeping DVCTA in the loop as to what DAD was up to. DAD felt it was "too big" to have to adhere to the requirements of the bylaws. It was the ($$)tail wagging the dog, since their $600,000 budget completely overshadowed the club's $40,000 budget, and they wanted a bigger "say" in how the club was run. Hence, the DAD'ers stacked the DVCTA Board with their own members for a few years. Then, when the split happened, they just drifted off and now have very little to do with the club.
    DAD's legacy to DVCTA is the huge pledge to the USDF's Building Fund, made by DAD (without the knowledge of the DVCTA Board). DVCTA was left holding the bag on the pledge, and is now trying to scrape together the funds to pay the yearly pledge amount.
    There have always been salaries paid - yes some are to professionals; but some have been to committee members for doing jobs that could just as well have been done by professionals.

All true- but, Jim Hall did get a great photo op out of it!!

The point is still that DaD was a Committee of DVCTA. When DVCTA club members asked about how the funds were being expended, the DVCTA board shut them down. A DVCTA member DONATED $500 to have their solicitor educate the board of their fiduciary responsibilities. The check was made out to both DVCTA and their solicitor (so DVCTA needed his signature). This was when Barbara Bonk was Prez.

The check was returned to the donor.... uncashed.

Based on the last 990, DaD grossed over $800,000 in revenue.

Even if a prof show management entity had to be brought in, think about what benefit these funds could have brought to DVCTA members in terms of private clinics, subsidies, scholarships....etc.

Default Thorncroft confirmed

www.thorncroft.org. Thorncroft's homepage has the announcement that they are stepping down as beneficiary of DAD. Very sad and the end of an era.