The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default washing machines for horse blankets

Hey folks, I'm looking into getting a washer specifically for horse blankets (think heavyweight turnouts.) What is the minimum size I should be looking for? Mandatory features?

I searched previous threads. A few folks recommended the Whirlpool Cabrio 4.6 cu ft. Our Best Buy has it on sale right now with awesome financing. Thoughts? Any bad experiences?

Thanks so much!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

For washing horse blankets, I'd go with a commercial washer, such as Speed
    Queen. And you might look for used as they are big really big bucks.

A local laundromat let us wash horse gear and I use their biggest washer
    for one blanket--my guys wear 82 and 84. They don't come clean if I put
    two in one of their big ones. It costs $5.50 there to do one blanket, if that
    helps any on your pricing.

We have a Samsung front loader but I don't know the size--think the red one
    that was in the Lowe's commercials for a long time. You can stuff one blanket in but it will not come clean. Their sheets, coolers, saddle pads
    all work fine in the Samsung but not their medium and heavy weight blankets.

I agree with previous post - if you are serious about washing your own heavy blankets, a "normal" machine won't do it. Go to your local laundramat and ask them about their machines. It will have to be a front loader. Good Luck!

I wash horse blankets in my washing machine.

I did buy a knock off cabrio...a sears kenmore type and hated it. I hate the energy efficient washing machines.
    there was a pretty extensive thread about washing machines while back.

Problem with the he types(those without an agitator) they don't put enough water in to clean the blanket.

I seriously think washing clothes is in a crisis situation...really.

I am using a cabrio type here in a rental and have noticed my own clothes just don't come clean. Give me an old fashion agitator that uses water.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Thanks so much for your insghts! After much consideration and reading old threads on making HE machines work(CotH is the best!) I jumped on a screaming deal from best buy- an open box 5.2 cu ft Cabrio. I have 30 days to test it and if at any point I don't like it they'll take it back.

Our Clydesdale's Rambo highneck lightweight was in the machine within moments of hookup....

I'll keep y'all posted!

I bought a Whirlpool Duet front load just to be able to wash the heavyweight Rambo turnouts. I have the original Rambo's, no Wugs etc. What I do is to try to get the mud off the lightweights before washing. Usually don't have mud on the mid or heavyweights thankfully.

I use a SOAK cycle first, followed by a RINSE and SPIN cycle, then another SOAK, followed by another RINSE and SPIN. Then I wash with Rambo Blanket Wash using the heavy duty cycle and extra rinse. All of this is done with cold water. Then I line dry. I don't think I've ever had to redo a turnout, even the heavyweights.

After all this I do another RINSE and SPIN cycle just to make sure the washer is clean enough to put my clothes in.

While I'd love to have been able to get a commercial washer, I don't think it would have been able to be put in the laundry room area without taking down some of the wall and door.
    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

OK, savvy horse-apparel washers...Which of these two would you choose? It would be used for pads, sheets, etc., but not medium/heavy blankets.

KENMORE FRONTLOAD WASHER HE2T LARGE CAPACITY

or

WHIRLPOOL CABRIO WASHER NO AGITATOR 4.7 CU.FT SUPER CAPACITY HE
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    OK, savvy horse-apparel washers...Which of these two would you choose? It would be used for pads, sheets, etc., but not medium/heavy blankets.

KENMORE FRONTLOAD WASHER HE2T LARGE CAPACITY

or

WHIRLPOOL CABRIO WASHER NO AGITATOR 4.7 CU.FT SUPER CAPACITY HE
    Go for the one with the largest capacity!
    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I've found that I almost always use a second rinse with my Samsung. Clothes get clean but just not convinced they get as well rinsed as in the
    old style washers. We also have a softer water and hair needs lots of rinsing in the shower, don't have to use half the soap the washer calls for, etc.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by joyful View Post
    I agree with previous post - if you are serious about washing your own heavy blankets, a "normal" machine won't do it. Go to your local laundramat and ask them about their machines. It will have to be a front loader. Good Luck!
    Nuh Uh.
    I wash my size 82 heavy T/O in my antique (came with the circa 1976 house) top-loader.
    Comes out clean.
    I have well water, heavy on the iron, but washer is hooked up to the softener.
    The only caveat is I do one T/O at a time.
    Unless I'm doing the pony size 52, then I can add some towels or a fleece cooler to the load.

I have used my equally elderly electric dryer to get them nearly completely dry, but it takes almost an hour so I usually just hang to dry.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Current Update: Went to bed waaaaaay too late last night, ready to send the $%^*ing machine back after it kept firing cryptic codes at me. DH sent me blueprints and directions to dissect the d!@#M thing in the morning.... but I went outside, heeded current pop-music wisdom-wigglewigglewigglewiggle-on the output hose and things gushed forth and all was well. (take it as you will, I'm just reporting the facts, ma'am)

after a "presoak" in a muck bucket followed by a good spray with the hose to remove hair and loose dirt, a single cycle on "burly"(or the technospeak equivalent) with any possible soak time additions resulted in a spiffy clean blanket.

Need to replace the faucet on the hot line before I can waterproof as per directions so... til then....

I'm thinking about safe, effective things to add to the muck-bucket presoak that might clean, deodorize, sterilize, etc without threatening waterproofing procedures later on (I will wash and waterproof with nikwax, unless I get a great endorsement for another product): vinegar? borax? tie-dye (just checking if you're still awake!)

thoughts and experiences? many thanks to those who have already weighed in as well as the thoughts to come!

I'm not sure if this is the exact model you have, but NONE of the Whirlpool Cabrio machines have good reviews on amazon.com. Here's a 5.2 cu ft machine:

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-WTW7...4655166&sr=8-8

Just wanted to mention this since a) you've already had an issue, and b) you can still take it back!

I used to wash & repair blankets for a tack shop. I'll post on your other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by thathorse View Post
    Current Update: Went to bed waaaaaay too late last night, ready to send the $%^*ing machine back after it kept firing cryptic codes at me. DH sent me blueprints and directions to dissect the d!@#M thing in the morning.... but I went outside, heeded current pop-music wisdom-wigglewigglewigglewiggle-on the output hose and things gushed forth and all was well. (take it as you will, I'm just reporting the facts, ma'am)

after a "presoak" in a muck bucket followed by a good spray with the hose to remove hair and loose dirt, a single cycle on "burly"(or the technospeak equivalent) with any possible soak time additions resulted in a spiffy clean blanket.

Need to replace the faucet on the hot line before I can waterproof as per directions so... til then....

I'm thinking about safe, effective things to add to the muck-bucket presoak that might clean, deodorize, sterilize, etc without threatening waterproofing procedures later on (I will wash and waterproof with nikwax, unless I get a great endorsement for another product): vinegar? borax? tie-dye (just checking if you're still awake!)

thoughts and experiences? many thanks to those who have already weighed in as well as the thoughts to come!
    I don't know how it protects waterproofing, but I use Simple Green (always call is Soylent green, heh heh heh) especially wiht cold water, and dang, everything comes out so incredibly clean its bizzarre. Its supposed to be an environmentally friendly product, too - get it at Home DePot.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Simple Green is great stuff! (lofl at "soylent green!") I'm nervous about using unknown stuff on pricey blankets... Maybe I'll try it as a presoak on one of my old ones... Thanks for the tip!

I found that the HE no agiatator washing machines just don't get the blankets wet enough to get them clean.

I bought a machine with an agitator and sent the new HE one back...I hated it. I like washing clothes and found I hated this new machine.

Mine isn't fancy, but I can also open the lid whenever I want.
    It might not be energy efficient, but I need clean clothes. I will never go with a HE unless they make some major changes, such as using water to clean clothes!
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld