The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Dog just cut his paw-pad; first aid questions

Poor dog just came back in with a bleeding paw...which of course I didn't notice right away, so now I've just done a quick floor wash.

So, it's a Sunday, vet clinics are all closed, and I don't think it's an emergency.

The cut is maybe 1/8" deep, a very clean cut (like it was sliced), bleeds a little when he gets off the dog bed and walks around, and he's licking it occasionally, although it doesn't seem to be sore, and there isn't any dirt, residue, etc.

It's on the edge of the inside of the outside "bulb," if that makes sense. So that, every step he takes, it squidges...

Other than sticking band-aids on it, what's the best way to manage this? Wrap it with vetrap (which I think he'll probably lick off - he's a keen licker)? Anything underneath? Topical otc meds?

To cap it all, I'm going away tomorrow for 10 days, and he's going to stay with our neighbours (who fortunately have wooden floors, so no carpets to bleed on). If I wasn't going away, I'd probably just leave alone but keep an eye on it, but...

Open to all thoughtful suggestions: TIA!

My dog injured her pad a few days ago on a run. More of a scrape than a cut. It's on the edge of the main pad and on the paw just next to it. It bled quite a bit when she first got it, and bled a little the next day.
    My vet said to thoroughly wash and disinfect it and apply betadine after every time she goes outside. He said that it should be fine, but if it's not healing and significantly improved after a week, or seems infected, to bring her in. It is healing already though.

Like I said though, my dog looks more like she tripped and skinned her paw, it is not a clean slice and is not deep at all. From what I have heard, cuts on the pad can be difficult to heal. I would give your vet a call on Monday to at least see what he/she thinks.

I would wash it as much as you can, stick some neosporin on gauze pads, and vet wrap it pretty thoroughly. You can try putting duct tape over top as that can be harder to chew off.

Thanks both!

I was also just reading about using Super-Glue, which was apparently first developed to help wounds heal.

On people, though, not dogs.

Do you think it'd be OK for the dog, so long as I then vet-rapped the paw?

Oy, vey, what a pallaver, poor dog.

I've been through this before. Cleaned it gently, gauze pad + Vetwrap - but NOT TOO TIGHT!!!! (I can't overstress this). Covering it with an old sock Vetwrapped on (again - not too tight) can also keep a licker/chewer busy long enough for the bleeding to at least stop.

However, it should be unwrapped tomorrow & checked. If it looks ugly & if your neighbors are amenable, I'd have them take the dog to the vet. Ten days is a long time to wait if infection sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Romany View Post
    Thanks both!

I was also just reading about using Super-Glue, which was apparently first developed to help wounds heal.

On people, though, not dogs.

Do you think it'd be OK for the dog, so long as I then vet-rapped the paw?

Oy, vey, what a pallaver, poor dog.
    I've used super glue several times on my dog and it has always worked great. Last year he had a cut on his paw that kept getting re-opened, some super glue was all it took to heal. I've always just cleaned the cut as well as I could and then let it try (otherwise the glue won't stick) before applying the super glue. I've never wrapped it after
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Had to share - chatting with my hilarious friend about it, and she suggest slipping a condom (non-flavoured) over the wrap, etc.

I think I'll get the vetwrap and ask them to wrap it during the day as long as it's still bleeding, and leave it nekkid at night (in his crate).

I've got an Elizabethan collar, so he can wear that if necessary.

Off to the pharmacy to ask for the extra-tough variety.

I came out of the shower one day to be greeted by blood on the floor and my boxer/pit looking at me wagging her tail with a steak knife in her mouth! I had no idea she could reach into the sink! Happened on a Sat eve, cut the length of her large pad on front foot and quite deep. bled all over! Had my tech friend come out and she packed it with cornstarch and wrapped in vet wrap. Took doggie to vet on Mon and he cleaned it up and glued it back together. Healed perfectly!

Vetwrap and gauze is probably better than superglue - the only reason I say this is if there is a small foreignbody or infection. Change the bandage daily and watch for any odour and any non-blood discharge. If you notice anything other than a few drops of blood, a quick trip to the vet may prevent a nasty infection. Hopefully it was a clean slice and she will heal on her own!!

Good grief - definitely do NOT "SuperGlue" this. Honestly. You could easily be locking in an infection. If it doesn't look like it's healing on its own, spend the bucks & go to the vet. I know you're leaving tomorrow, but give your neighbors carte blanche. I would.

"Super/Crazy Glue" - the resource of the home vet. Good grief.

Not giving advice here at all, at all. But when our dogs have something like this, they get by on loving neglect. My greyhound just licked it and licked it clean and eventually it healed up. I did keep her in, did limit her outings to go and do her chores, but she basically took care of it. Depending on how bad it looked, that is.

I want to know more about super glue - that is new to me!!! From an authoritative source, tho.

My boss's lab pup nearly severed one of his pads on Thanksgiving. It's not one of the "walking pads", but the vestigial one that sort of looks like a doggy fetlock.

$500 at the emergency clinic - it bled like mad and she said the inside of the car looked like an abbatoir when they got there. The vet did stitch it back on and pup had to wear the Cone Of Shame (which he found enormously entertaining once he figured out he could bash people and other dogs with it. Boss's legs are covered with crescent-shaped bruises). I don't know why it was stitched back on, since it serves no purpose - I guess there's just not enough extra skin there to stitch up.

I'd pass on the Super Glue. There is a product on the market (forget what it's called, but it is specifically for skin), but unless you're 100% sure there's no nasty stuff trapped inside, best to let it heal itself if dog will cooperate.

My vet told me to pour superglue in a similar wound once. It was her kind way of saving me a hundred bucks, and she said it was very similar, chemically, to the veterinary adhesive. Another time, my midwife advised the same treatment for a wound on my own hand that I couldn't afford to get stitched. This is, of course, assuming that the wound is fresh and sterile.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

It's OK, we can all breathe again...I won't be using the superglue! I had the same thought; what if I blocked some dirt in there. So I bought lots of vet-wrap, fancy band-aids (!), and some calendula cream that the pharmacist (who's into homeopathic stuff; and I checked, it's ok for dogs) recommended, and took the Elizabethan collar and the betadine (sp?) all over to the neighbour when I dropped the dogs off this evening.

Paw was uncomfortable enough by this time that the dog was favouring it slightly, ie not putting tooo much weight on it, although not licking it, and not running around on three legs, and it hasn't bled since mid-afternoon. The wound/paw was cool (it's cold and snowy here), and neighbours are kind and knowledgeable farming types, and will whisk him off to the vet if there's any significant changes.

Did cause some giggles in the pharmacy by asking for the XL, extra-strong condoms...of course they suggested the ones with, uh, nubs and ridges, for traction in the snow - no finesse, these rural pharmacists!

Thank you all SO much for your inputs - I really appreciated the quick and thoughtful responses.

How much do I love this particular forum on COTH? Whole lots!

oh - and, everafterfarm: that would have done me in for sure!!!

Who would have thought - super glue and extra large condoms (with nubs on) in our first aid kits!

Default Enjoy your trip.

Sounds like you've covered your bases and I'm sure your neighbor will handle things just fine.
    As an aside, I'd hate to see someone mix up the superglue with the condom... A whole 'nother thread... (hehe)!

TNR (Trap-neuter-release) clinic used to use superglue, too - all the spays were done with internal sutures, and the superglue was used to "tighten up" the outside of the incision. (Per the vets there, the big difference between super/crazy glue and dermabond was that the dermabond had purple dye added so you could see it better.)

That said, as I recall from days gone by, when I spent a lot of time working with superglue... while I don't remember it being particularly painful if it got into a cut, if it got pulled on once in a cut - OUCH!

Romany, it sounds like you've got everything under control, pup is handling it fine (bet there won't be any limping at all by the time you get home!) and that you have some pretty good neighbors on top of it all! Have a great trip!