The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Great Rapid Redux column with great idea for his future

I hadn't thought of it but he would be a great representative of OTTB's if he was able to go somewhere and make appearances.

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2011/de...eoples-choice/

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Old Friends and Kentucky Horse Park have campaigned for him to retire at their facilities

No word yet on those decisions.

David and the horses connections are still planning strategy for his racing career....a couple weeks left in this year yet!

Rapid Redux has a couple of his own Facebook pages.
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php?re...28263300553600
    You can stay posted to all his activities here

One awesome horse!
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

"Wells said he is “flattered” by the fan-generated campaign to get Rapid Redux on the Horse of the Year ballot, but has focused on winning the “Vox Populi” (Voice of the People) award, which recognizes the racehorse whose “popularity and racing excellence resounded most with the American public.”"

you can vote for him here:
    http://www.secretariat.com/fan-club/vox-populi-award/

What is the story about Penn National refusing to let him run? that is on his FB page? I just hope he can retired without injury and I truly think he has proven what he can do, he does not need another race!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Technically, they arent refusing to let him run.

They are not writing a starter allowance race (just) for him.
    *The reasons for that are a tricky answer in itself.

IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    What is the story about Penn National refusing to let him run? that is on his FB page? I just hope he can retired without injury and I truly think he has proven what he can do, he does not need another race!
    The article state he's pretty sound. They're not running him over his head. Why NOT run him? Yeah he's proven what he can do, which is make money. Racing is a business, not a hobby, for most people. The horse is running great and the article implies a conscientious trainer who isn't running him into the ground.

Yeah, Penn National can choose not to write a race for him, or write him out of a race, if they choose, but I'm surprised because he sounds like a bit of a hero; you'd think they'd want him to run if he'll draw a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tag View Post
    The article state he's pretty sound. They're not running him over his head. Why NOT run him? Yeah he's proven what he can do, which is make money. Racing is a business, not a hobby, for most people. The horse is running great and the article implies a conscientious trainer who isn't running him into the ground.
    Seriously. If and when, God willing, I have enough to get into racehorses, I am not buying one so I can run it a couple times and then stick it out in a pasture because heaven forbid it work for a living. He's sound, he's winning, keep running him.

I wonder if Penn's more making a point that perhaps he is winning because he's getting VERY specific starter allowances written for him rather than any comment on how often one should run a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Seriously. If and when, God willing, I have enough to get into racehorses, I am not buying one so I can run it a couple times and then stick it out in a pasture because heaven forbid it work for a living. He's sound, he's winning, keep running him.

I wonder if Penn's more making a point that perhaps he is winning because he's getting VERY specific starter allowances written for him rather than any comment on how often one should run a horse.
    Granted, I don't know exactly how TB race conditions work exactly but there's clearly overlay from STB in that there's condition races ("allowances") and claimers. Really, this guy is a glorified claimer (and I'm not saying this to belittle the horse; but the article states, he is what he is and he isn't a world beater) bc he's maxed out, so to speak, his allowances. i.e., Penn National needs to write a specific condition/allowance for him to fit. Otherwise he's either got to race over his head and get beat (and this is the part I'm not clear of; I'd imagine this either means enter stakes company or go to a different venue with stiffer competition and allownace/conditions he actually fits) OR run in a claimer, and the guy probably loses him.

Example: They write a non-winners of $13,500 or NW 9 lifetime starts OR claiming $30k race here. In this example, Rapid Redux (who I guess has magically become a standardbred) maxes out on the money, maxes out on the wins, BUT he could enter the race and NOT have to fit the "conditions" if he goes in as a claimer. But the next step is the open/preferred, in my example, and Rapid Redux isn't Open/Preferred stock.

So basically the trainer wants to keep his record intact by racing the horse within himself, without losing him (claim), and Penn National won't write an exorbitant condition for him. You'll every so often see a race run here where they pretty clearly wrote a class for a specific horse so it's assumed the trainer went to the race secretary, pleaded his case, blah blah. Or maybe they just reallly needed to fill that race. Maybe this trainer's pleaded his case a time too many, I'm not sure.