The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default fei competition drug rules(long, sorry!!)

hey all =]

so im looking to start up with young riders next year, and the inspections are per fei rules. from what i can gather, horses are not allowed pretty much anything except for adequan and legend, and for good reason. im the type who cold hoses/ice packs/poultices, etc before i even use bute(or anything else) so ive never thought this would be a problem..

recently my mare has broken out in hives and im talking with my vet near daily about what we are doing to help her. she is started up on some immunotherapy allergy medications(shots) formulated just for her (had an allergen panel done) and hydroxyzine. until her system learns to tolerate her allergens, we are using dex (just 3cc oral every few days, which i hate having to do..) to keep those hives under control.

problem: clearly dex and hydroxyzine arent allowed per fei rules, but i wonder if there are ever special circumstances where it may be allowed? our hopes are that she will be all cleared up and set to go (around may) so that we wont have to worry about this problem, but if anyone could shed some more light on this, id be most grateful...

does anyone else have experience with hives/allergies in horses? if so, what did you and your vet do to help your horse? my horse recently moved to a new barn and the shavings are really dusty so ill be removing her from that situation asap.

also, could ayone direct me to the link for the fei drug rules? either im not finding the right page, or my computer wont pull it up... thanks!

No exceptions. Sorry, ask some of the WEG and Olympic riders off various teams who got booted over some cream or other for a skin condition weeks earler. Test thresholds are miniscule and withdrawal times must be carefully thought out.

Legend and Adequan are considered nutraceuticals, not drugs, IIRC mares can have Regumate-dont know about geldings or studs. Testosterone from an external source is a no no, even in a skin cream.

Also, IIRC, they were moving to lighten up just a little bit when indicated for therapeutic reasons and well in advace with a low threshold. No idea where that went, if anywhere.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinagirl17 View Post
    hey all =]

so im looking to start up with young riders next year, and the inspections are per fei rules. from what i can gather, horses are not allowed pretty much anything except for adequan and legend, and for good reason. im the type who cold hoses/ice packs/poultices, etc before i even use bute(or anything else) so ive never thought this would be a problem..

recently my mare has broken out in hives and im talking with my vet near daily about what we are doing to help her. she is started up on some immunotherapy allergy medications(shots) formulated just for her (had an allergen panel done) and hydroxyzine. until her system learns to tolerate her allergens, we are using dex (just 3cc oral every few days, which i hate having to do..) to keep those hives under control.

problem: clearly dex and hydroxyzine arent allowed per fei rules, but i wonder if there are ever special circumstances where it may be allowed? our hopes are that she will be all cleared up and set to go (around may) so that we wont have to worry about this problem, but if anyone could shed some more light on this, id be most grateful...

does anyone else have experience with hives/allergies in horses? if so, what did you and your vet do to help your horse? my horse recently moved to a new barn and the shavings are really dusty so ill be removing her from that situation asap.

also, could ayone direct me to the link for the fei drug rules? either im not finding the right page, or my computer wont pull it up... thanks!
    My horse has the same issues. I found this "natural" treatment for horses online and it has replaced the use of hydroxyzine. It works that same but it isn't banned in the USEF drug rules. It really works for my gelding. It is not cheap though. It is called AllergySaver by Figuerola. My horse is getting allergy shots and this due to the fact he is allergic to hay+grass+weeds. GOOD LUCK!

USEF drug rules are MUCH less restrictive then the FEI rules and OP asked about FEI rules. Several of the highest profile (ie Olympic riders)FEI drug positives and DQs have been for skin creams that "didn't test" and probably would not have under USEF thresholds.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

You might call or email the USEF for the current list of FEI prohibited medications. Even feeding two peppermints can cause a positive test for capsaicin.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

There is a reason that the FEI drug rules are known as the "no foreign substance" rules. They are *much* more restrictive than the "therapeutic substance rule" used for most USEF activities.

You can find the FEI rules here: http://www.feicleansport.org/prohibited.html

Note that the FEI rules now carry with them much stiffer penalties than in the past - med violations can mean a $15,000.00 fine and a two year suspension.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

No, you are not going to get an exception to the FEI rules. You need to work with a vet that is very familiar with the FEI rules and withdrawal times, and you need to have careful control procedures in the barn to prevent cross-contamination in the weeks before competition.

thanks fo rthe link lucassb! and everyone else too i didnt think i was going to get an exception i was just wondering since i havent gone through fei yet

make sure you read the enitre label on any product you use on your horse and yourself.. unintentional transfer is a pita.
    Stupid stuff can transfer from anyting from wraps to your handcreme... it's a wonder the horses don't just live in a bubble..
    Get in the habit of knowing what is in everything you use... and get things out of your box that will "test". Get out of the habit of using any of it.. no matter how small it seems because, for sure, you dont want to forget and accidentally use the wrong thing.
    I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you

Download the list and how many days to be clean list.. study it..know it.. be paranoid.. Make sure you Vet is up on all current rules too. remember it's usually the little guys that get the big slap for a mistake.

Good Luck on the YR next year
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".