The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The new Triple Crown TLC feed

What are people's thoughts on this? Was a little surprised to see this considering TC Senior and Complete already can satisfy a wide range of needs, but they say this one can be fed from foals to seniors (it is a complete feed). 12.5% protein, 8% fat, 18% fiber. I'd be curious to see what the NSC is, and if it would easily turn to mush for the old guys with few teeth Love that it has probiotics. The only thing I'm not wild about is it says if you feed less than 5 pounds per day, then supplement with their 30% supp (or any RB) to make sure the horse receives adequate intake of vits, mins, etc. That seems high.. other senior feeds require as little as 3 pounds of feed per day to meet that intake requirement. This is the situation with my older gelding missing teeth.. he is on 3 pounds per day with a little soaked pulp (the recommended minimum intake for his weight/activity level to meet his vit/min requirements) and he looks superb.

Thoughts?
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/feeds...horsenutrition

Probably well over 50% of the fortified feeds out there have a 5lb minimum requirement for nutritional reasons Nutrena Life Design Sr does, for the 1000lb horse.

It looks like a suitable feed. I don't understand though, like you, why they felt the need to create a new one of this nature

I would think maybe to have a pellet instead of textured like most of their high fiber grains. Because some people still see that and scream sweet feed!

Huh, that looks like a neat feed. I currently feed TC Low Starch, TC 30% and Beet Pulp.

I'll have to see if I can get a sample from my dealer....

I received an email from TC stating the it was for the horse owners who wanted to feed a pelleted feed to avoid the bricks that the SR and Growth sometimes turn into.

My feed store doesn't have it stocked yet. I am curious to know if the price will be similar to the SR and Growth. Does anyone know?

As long as it could easily turn into mush after a soak I'd definitely be game to try it.. the TC senior bricks drive me nuts! My southern states said they'd order it as soon as it's available to them.. they don't know a price yet, but I'll post when I do get a #.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it if you would post the price, as the Senior "bricks" are no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It looks like a suitable feed. I don't understand though, like you, why they felt the need to create a new one of this nature
    I don't get it either. Blue Seal put out a few recently that I don't get, the SBP line. Poulin put out their Holistic, which I totally don't get. Carrots and cranberries? Why?

I so very badly want to start my own line of feeds because no one seems to address feeding horses like I want to. I even have a very rough draft fake website explaining what it's about and how it addresses feeding issues. I just can't sell the idea! In particular I want to sell it to Blue Seal Sentinel. *sigh*

TC probably came out with this feed to compete with Purina's Strategy Healthy Edge product (which, by the way, is a WONDERFUL feed, can't believe the difference in my horse, behavior and looks, after just 2 months on this stuff.) I bet the TC product is more $$$, though. I've never had any luck with TC products......they've never been consistent, despite the "fixed" ingredients.

The store I work for has it priced the same as Senior. The 5 lb. feeding rate is fairly common like JB said. The only feeds I can think of with a less than 5 lb. feeding rate are "light" feeds with a typical rate of 3 lbs. per day and ration balancers with a 1-2 lb. feeding rate.

This feed is a high fat pellet, which is not all that common. Pellets usually do not hold their integrity well with high fat formulation resulting in a higher amount of "fines", which is not considered good. To make a higher fat pellet, it takes special equipment to apply the fat differently.

The product information from TC does not state an NSC percentage but I BELIEVE I was told it should be in the low 20s.

Blue Seal came out with the SBP line last year to duplicate the TC line when they lost the ability to sell it.

The TLC was designed to offer a pelleted feed option that is "similar" to our TC Senior feed. We are hoping this will be a great option for people that like pelleted feeds or for those that want to avoid bricking issues with the "TC Senior feed" or flies in the summer. TLC is slightly lower in fat than the Senior feed but this feed (just as the senior has been used) can be fed to babies all the way to the senior horses in your barn. TLC will be priced similar to the TC Senior/Complete and Growth feeds. The NSC of this feed is just under 17%. We are are really excited about this feed option and hope some of you will give it a try. TC Growth/Senior and Complete are still available as options for those of you who like the textured feeds and want the higher fat content.

Check out the TLC guaranteed analysis, feed ingredients and directions if you have not seen them yet: http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/feeds...horsenutrition
    Triple Crown feed fan?
    Join Triple Crown Nutrition, Inc. on facebook at:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...6908807?ref=mf

How many calories/lb does the TLC have? The pellet is a great idea!

My feed store has it priced at $18.99/bag. Owner says it's been selling some; don't think a lot of people have heard about it yet. He did some basic advertising about it, has it listed on the sign out front, but people just haven't really tried it out yet.

On the other hand, (and I promise I'm not trying to change the subject) the "new" Legends Senior has been selling very well. It's completely pelleted with molasses, but it doesn't have the beet pulp shreds in it like the TC Senior does, and the pellets themselves look like they'd take longer to soak when water is added.

Quote Originally Posted by tcnhorsefeed View Post
    TC Growth/Senior and Complete are still available as options for those of you who like the textured feeds and want the higher fat content.

Check out the TLC guaranteed analysis, feed ingredients and directions if you have not seen them yet: http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/feeds...horsenutrition
    Thanks for the link and I did check it out. As soon as I saw soy hulls, I closed the sight. Not good for me.....
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

Eh... looks like a decent feed but I'll stick with the TC Senior. It's not so bad if you lay it on the floor put your knee in it and bend the bag around and then drop it on it's ends a couple of times I only have one horse to feed so 4 bags a month to deal with isn't so bad
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I must be in the minority, but I kind of like the bags that turn into bricks.... makes them neat and easy to stack
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Ha! Me too, naters, and I live in frozen country. Mine are never so hard that you can't loosen them up by dropping them on the floor or the edge of the feed bin a few times before dumping them. Good for the ol' biceps.

I am thinking of adding TC Lite to my repertoire, since 3 out of 4 of mine need vitamin supplementation on TC Senior. That would get me down to 1.

It scared me the other day when I went to the feed store and asked for the TC ration balancer, and the dude had no clue what I was talking about though!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Eh, most feed store folks know very little about nutrition, much less what each type of feed is know as LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Mine are never so hard that you can't loosen them up by dropping them on the floor or the edge of the feed bin a few times before dumping them.
    Just don't try to drop the trash can to break up the brick after already in the can for a few days. Trust me, it doesn't turn out well for the trash can