The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is Dover finally starting to get the picture?

I'm sure it's only temporary, but I went to the Dover website this morning to check on something, and I see on the home page that through their partner, freeshipping.com, you can save up to $20 on shipping (full details at checkout). They are also offering a free upgrade to FedEx 3-day shipping from their regular shipping. Anyone have the scoop on the freeshipping.com thing? I know there has to be some catch - it *is* Dover, after all!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Trying googling "freeshipping.com"...I fell in a trap with a well known online shoe store that was supposedly offering this same thing. BE CAREFUL !!!

Thumbs up I just ordered a few things

for me and for a gift from Bit O Britain and they DID have free shipping.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Already got my gift from Smartpak. In a few days I might add, and it was free shipping.

Lil too late Dover. Dover needs to be more competitive. And shipping is the such a key point for buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    I'm sure it's only temporary, but I went to the Dover website this morning to check on something, and I see on the home page that through their partner, freeshipping.com, you can save up to $20 on shipping (full details at checkout). They are also offering a free upgrade to FedEx 3-day shipping from their regular shipping. Anyone have the scoop on the freeshipping.com thing? I know there has to be some catch - it *is* Dover, after all!
    If this is the scam I think it is -- to suck you into an inadvantageous relationship with "freeshipping.com" -- then I will be seriously mad at Dover. I hate it when companies use these tactics!

I currently don't order from the Dover catalog anymore, but I do go to their retail shop. If they are pulling this type of crap, I may stop shopping there all together.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I found this explaination doing a google search. After reading this, it seems pretty clear to me it is more trouble than it is worth.
    ----------------------------------------------
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/960928/
    Gimmick. No earnings during trial period. Cancel during trial period, you get nothing and company keeps affiliate rewards that you had generated.

Review from the web:

FreeShipping.com is a newer program that a lot of bloggers are promoting. As a former eBay seller, I thought the idea of “Free Shipping” sounded pretty good and decided to do a little research –
    If you Google search “FreeShipping.com” you’ll likely find close to 2 million results – and if you start reading those results you’ll be persuaded to think that FreeShipping.com is an excellent program. But deeper digging may prove otherwise -

WHAT IS FREESHIPPING.COM?
    FreeShipping.com is a company that is like BigCrumbs in a way – they offer “Cash Back” for online purchases you make – BUT, instead of giving you the cash they give you “bonuses” that turn into “free shipping rewards” . The overall idea *seems* as if it may be beneficial to those who do a ton of shipping, but there is a lot of “glitches” in the program that are making FreeShipping.com seem more like FreeScamming.com.
    PROBLEM #1 – The membership cost. If you do a Google Search for “FreeShipping.com Scam” you will find numerous reports being made by people that state their credit cards were billed between $79 - $89 “for no reason”. Let me clarify; there is indeed a reason why the credit cards are being billed this amount; it’s the membership fee. FreeShipping.com charges approximately $80 a year to be a member. Many times, like with MyLifeStylePerks.com, you are auto-enrolled into the program through another merchant (with MyLifeStylePerks the most common merchant is Victoria’s Secret). There are many companies that are promoting FreeShipping.com, including some very popular online florists. The florist will ask you when you are making your purchase if you are interested in getting “free shipping”. If you agree to get it you are agreeing to be enrolled in the FreeShipping.com program, which will be billed to your same credit card which you ordered the flowers through.

PROBLEM #2 – “Free Trial Membership”. FreeShipping.com has a big promotion for it’s “free trial membership” which leads you to believe that for 30 days straight you will have full access to 100% of the membership benefits without being charged a penny. The TRUTH is that while you do have “access” to the membership benefits during the 30 day period, you are unable to “qualify” for any rebates. If you do not extend your free 30-day trial to a full membership and pay the yearly membership fee, your shipping costs accumulated during the free trial are invalid for rebates; meaning you can use the program as much as you’d like but unless you pay the $80 you won’t get a penny back!

PROBLEM #3 – FINANCIAL GAIN AT YOUR LOSS. As mentioned above, during the 30 day free trial you will be using the links provided by FreeShipping.com to do your shopping and accumulate your “free shipping bonuses”. Every link provided to you is an affiliate company that FreeShipping.com works with. FreeShiipping.com is able to provide you with “earnings” because each time you use their links to make a purchase the company pays them a percentage of the purchase you make. So lets say during your 30 day “free trial” you place three orders and accumulate $15 in “free shipping bonuses” – at this point FreeShipping.com has made $45 in cash and although you may *think* you have earned $15, you have actually earned $0 since you have not yet extended your membership and paid the $80 membership fee. Now, if you decide to cancel your “free trial” as to avoid the membership fee, FreeShipping.com has walked away with a free $45 in affiliate income and you’re left with nothing. So while you’re attempting to save a few bucks FreeShipping.com is cashing in!

PROBLEM #4 – Redeeming “Rebates”. If you DO decide to stick out the program and pay the $80 membership fee and you DO decide to earn “free shipping” by shopping using FreeShipping.com affiliate links you will eventually earn enough points to get your free shipping rebate. Here comes the hassle –
    When you want to redeem you will need to do the following:
    a.) Photocopy your original receipt or invoice
    b.) Download the rebates form
    c.) Print rebate form
    d.) Fill out rebate form
    e.) Get an envelope
    f.) Place all required items in the envelope (be sure to double check and see if any UPC / Barcodes are needed)
    g.) Address Envelope
    h.) Stamp Envelope
    i.) Ship Envelope
    j.) Wait for rebate
    So requesting a single rebate is going to cost you a minimum of 2 pieces of paper, an envelope, a stamp, ink required to print said materials and about 15 minutes of your time. That may not sound like a lot, but the cost adds up! If you’re spending $2.00 to request a $10 rebate, you’re losing 20% of your earnings right out the gate!
    PROBLEM #5 – The amount of “Free Shipping” you can get is not “limitless”. You can only earn a max of $500 per year. Take into consideration that you have to deduct the $80 you spend on you membership, which knocks your total “profit” down to $420.
    If you really do a lot of shipping and you want to give FreeShipping.com a try, you can check it out here. However, I would suggest using a program like Mr.Rebates instead. Mr.Rebates allows you to earn cash money for your purchase. You can then spend your cash on shipping costs or whatever you'd like. BigCrumbs is also a great site for Cash Back shopping. I use them both on a regular basis. You can use my search box to find all of my articles about both companies as well as screenshots of my payments.

There are so many other horse companies that sell the same things Dover does. I just don't bother with Dover anymore. Haven't bought anything from them at all this year.

i don't order through dover anymore. back in the '90s i was a big dover buyer but after having a few less than stellar experiences in the last few years and being disgruntled with their customer service... i'm all about the smartpak or rick's heritage saddlery these days. both companies offer great customer service, competitive prices, and flat rate to free shipping.

Good grief. I can't imagine entangling my company with a program like that.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I never order from Dover since a friend made and order for us and it was a total mess with several items missing and HUGE shipping costs and it was slow slow slow. On a few occassions I have been on a road trip and been able to stop at a store. I was very satisfied with these trips (except for the Dansko half chaps that were for the same leg...always try both on) but will never order from Dover again. So many uncomplicated places to order from. This shipping scam ploy would perhaps make me drive right on past Dover the next time. Obviously no concern for their customers.

I quit buying from Dover years ago too, there are so many better options now, and companies that don't send 500 catalogs a year
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

I just received an e-mail from Dover about the freeshipping.com offer
    As an introduction to try FreeShipping.com you can receive a cash-back rebate, up to $20 on any shipping charge at Dover Saddlery!*
    Full details of this offer are available upon completion of your order through the Dover Saddlery website or call center.
    *Introductory Offer. Some restrictions apply. Offer not available in Iowa.
    I CAN receive a rebate? Dover, tell me more! Oh, wait, I don't find out the details of this offer until after I place my order? No thanks!

Even better- I went through checkout just to see if it would give me any info before I placed my order. I clicked log-in as guest and the billing and shipping info were prepopulated with the info for Sandra in Owensboro It didn't show her email but it did show her address and telephone number. That's scary! I hope that it's placeholder info and not an actual customer.

I try to buy from any company but Dover.
    But sometimes what I want is sold at Dover.

I have a Dover card. It stays at home and I only use it for Dover orders. It's standard 5 bucks shipping.

But I just had to send an item back to Dover and they return label costs 10 bucks!!! So I stuck the item in a 4 dollar USPS envelop and sent it that way.

$9.95 for return shipping is blastphemy.

stinky Dover.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

wow.. heck with that. $10 for return shipping?! yet another reason to love the 'pak and rick's!

Dover's shipping sucks moose balls, I refuse to have anything to do with them anymore. SmartPak, VTO, etc all have fast, inexpensive shipping with customer service that blows Dover into the weeds. I can't really figure out how Dover survives.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by magienoire View Post
    Dover's shipping sucks moose balls
    You owe me a new keyboard.
    Dreaming in Color

funny thing is that they're a publically traded company. you would think if they're market share is being taken by a better customer model, they would get it figured out...
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Good grief. I can't imagine entangling my company with a program like that.
    I agree! Sounds like a perfect way to lose customers.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!