The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Decent Second Saddle (Fun/trail)

So I spent a lot more money on my current saddle then I care to ever admit to my husband. I love this saddle and have it fitted regularly to my young growing filly. But my filly is just that...young. Accidents can happen and of course we currently do mostly trails. I want to find a decent cheap saddle that I'm not afraid to have roughed up a little. Any opinions? Or ideas?

I have done the same thing... love my CWD and my Albion Dressage saddles but don't want to do casual riding in them... so I bought this saddle and LOVE IT -

http://www.actionridertack.com/c-21-...s-saddles.aspx

It rides like a tree saddle with a nice twist, fits all horses, very comfortable, and it's good quality leather made in Italy.... You can order it in what color you want and they have a trial policy too.

One thing I did have to purchase a good breast collar for trail - it will slip a bit on my horse with a round figure. (he's built like a rain barrel.)

Edited to add - if I were to order this saddle again one thing I would do since I like riding in a shorter stirrup is order this model vs the one in the above link (without the big knee/thigh block)

http://www.actionridertack.com/p-130...ss-saddle.aspx
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Wintec or Thorowgood

My trail saddle is a Stubben Siegfried. It has a nice deep seat, and they're really tough. There are also some older Courbettes out there that have that nice, heavy cowhide that holds up to rain & scratches. Or there's always a Western Saddle

A western saddle. Hmmm...its been awhile since I got in touch with my cowgirl side. Use to barrel race when I was a kid. That would def. make my hubby happy and might actually make the getting a second saddle idea more tolerable for him. Again...hmmm.

Look and see what your area tack store has used. You might find something comfy and reasonable. FWIW, when we used to field trial, I rode in a lot of Aussie saddles and they were pretty comfortable.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I have a Stubben Siegfried II and an Aramis (like the old Tristans) that I trail ride/condition for endurance/do endurance rides in. I have a 6yo Arab. He's fallen on the Siegfried 3 times and has bashed it into things several times over the past 3 years. I've soaked it in the rain a couple dozen times. I just put a little Hammanol (Stubben's conditioner) on it after I abuse it and still looks good enough to show in. More importantly, a few different people who know this sort of thing have told me the tree is still just fine.

I haven't put the Aramis through any abuse yet because I've only had it about 6mo, but I will be since I find it more comfortable to do longer rides in.

FWIW, the Siegfried II was $350 on Craigslist and the Aramis was $300 on eBay.

I had a Crosby AP saddle once that I sold and I wish I hadn't. It was comfortable comfortable comfortable and really nicely made. If I was doing trails and just hacking around I would want it back! You can find them in near-new condition for < $500.

Collegiates are pretty cheap used, and are pretty comfortable for the price (if you are looking for CC or dressage)

I *really* prefer the German all-purpose saddles. Kieffer or Passier. They fit a wide variety of horses, I bet you a million it will NOT slip, and the deeper seat is great going up and down hills.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief