The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What type of back do Black Country saddles usually fit?

Curious, as I ran across a steal of a deal on an Eloquence locally...
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I think it will depend on whether it has their standard or freedom tree in it. I have an Eloquence (that I love!) for a Thoroughbred on the narrow side with a bit of withers and not much topline. My Eloquence has wither gussets to accomodate that dip after his withers. I *think* mine has the freedom tree in it.

They tend to fit a flatter back (the Eloquence model - the Eden fits a curvier back). My Trakehner has a flatter back with a high, sloping wither - the MW Eloquence fits him with wither gussets like it was made for him. I love my Eloquence (it was sold to me as a Bellissima, but I think it's an Eloquence), as it really helps open up my hips and let my leg just hang down - I have a bad habit of gripping with my thigh. If your Eloquence has that "vintage leather" you will have the plus of having extra grip without having to use super-sticky fullseats.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Hmm...

In looking at the picture again, and comparing to BC's website...

It looks like an Eden.

If you decide to pass, would you mind sending me the info on it? Have been looking for a used Eden, and yes, they normally fit a curvier back.

Eden would normally fit a curvy back with withers, but you truly can't count on anything with a BC saddle. They will customize from the tree up, so for example, a customer who's already got an Eden might order a second Eden for her draft horse with the Eloquence tree in it. You can ask if the seller bought the saddle off the rack or customized (and hope they give you a straight answer), or if you can get the serial number Black Country might be able to tell you more.

As for a "steal," Black Country saddles tend to be a tough resell. People either know of the brand or they don't, the high customization creates the very customer hesitation that you are experiencing right now, etc. That makes them a huge bargain for the buyer but not for the seller. The point being, keep doing the homework you're doing right now!

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    As for a "steal," Black Country saddles tend to be a tough resell. People either know of the brand or they don't, the high customization creates the very customer hesitation that you are experiencing right now, etc. That makes them a huge bargain for the buyer but not for the seller. The point being, keep doing the homework you're doing right now!
    By steal I mean it's advertised at $850 OBO and appears to be in super condition. I'm hesitating because I'm buying a farm this spring, and my wallet says I have a Passier GG and a Delgrange, why do I need a Black Country?! BUT, I could certainly sell the GG and end up near even anyway.