The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spinoff: Weird things your horse does

Ok, so far there's been a thread on a horse that crosses it's leg, and another that finds the muck bucket and tries to put her back hoof into it! So, as I'm bored today, I figured we all must have a horse with some kind of weird quirk that we'd like to share!

Mine? well she likes to take her back hoof and scratch behind her ear like a dog does.....not sure how she doesn't fall down though, and it shocked the crap out of me when she tried to do it with me still on her back!!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I'll play

My Big Guy - 17h+ WB - must lick my hand after I feed him a treat.
    His eyes roll back and he gives every appearance of horsy ecstasy while he licks.

The pony - who was a Wild Thing when I got him 1-1/2 years ago - will now stand like a perfect gentleman in his stall to be haltered.
    Stall door is always open to the paddock, so escape (which used to be his first choice) is available.
    But outside the stall you'd think I was trying to put a flaming hoop on his head.
    He gets all
    We're working on changing this....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

My horse eats his carrots horizontally, like a cob of corn. When I first got him, he woudn't take a carrot out of my hand - he was too confused about how to eat it. I had to put it in his bucket so that he could eat it.
    **Member of the Ocularly Challenged Equine Support Group**

I've posted this before, but when our 4 were loose in our yard, the Perchx stood by the side door for 1/2 hour, twisting the doorknob with her lips to see if she could get in. That was rather spooky!
    We have a 10x20' outbuilding with double doors that is the outside dog kennel. One day the dogs were out, the fence was open, and when I came around the corner the pony had moved in!

My horse is obsessed with jelly curry. He will dig them out of my box, drop it and then rubs his lips and teeth all over it. I'm left with a very slimy curry when he's had enough. If I leave brushes or boots on the ground he will move them
    If I'm not looking.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Woody constantly unties himself if you leave him unattended for a few minutes. He doesn't go anywhere, just over to where the grass is for a little grazing. Especially interesting on overnight trail rides. He'd untie himself during the night and come morning I'd find him tied to other trailers, trees, signposts, etc. The big goober.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I've got one who has invented a tongue game- and gets very mad if you don't play it with him. Most of the time, he'll repeatedly stick it out and pull it back in waiting for you to try to grab it. Once you succeed in grabbing it, he will close his eyes, sigh, and wait for you to let go- at which point the game is over and he keeps it in his mouth.

When he's feeling really goofy, he'll stick it out and not pull it back in. You can grab and let go- and nothing changes- until you scratch it. Once you start scratching, he will stick it farther and farther out until his mouth is wide open.

My daughter's horse chews his chestnuts when he is being shod. (and maybe other times) Here he is chewing away.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bazkwKLtFwE
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Lets see..

Mogwai plays peekaboo while I'm in the feed room. He'll peer in the window to check my progress, catch me looking at him and hide behind the wall. Then peer into the window again. Repeat.

Picaro won't lay down to sleep unless he's built himself a nest out of his hay. I call him my little Pegasus pony.

Laddie shares his grain with my dog (he eats from a ground feeder. They'll sit there and lick the bowl together forever when the grain's gone. Quite adorable..but weird on both parts)

Whin....oh gawd what doesn't she do that's weird....
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

My gelding has all kinds of quirks! He is way too clever for his own good.

He LOVES to lick. He will lick anybody, anytime. My trimmer buzzes his hair off in the summer and my gelding will lick his head while his front feet are being trimmed.

He once took a mouthful of water, slowly crossed the pasture at a walk, and spit the water all over the head of another horse.

He likes to nod when he wants something, so I have taught him to say "Yes."

Whenever he feels he is being abused (bath time, not getting his snack fast enough, etc.) He will lift his right front leg, and then curl his head towards it and just stand there looking pitiful. I think he probably used to paw, and someone trained that out of him, and this is his way of pawing without actually pawing.

He LOVES to untie himself when I am not paying attention. I don't really mind because he never moves once he is untied and is actually easier to work with untied. Once when he could not untie himself, he picked up the rope in his teeth, moved it along the hitching post and then up and over the end of the post so it dropped to the ground!

My mare has no amusing habits, but she likes to wait until I am done cleaning her paddock, out of sight and on my way to the manure pile with the cart, and then she deposits a fresh pile. Every single day... She never does it while I am still there.

My mare adores having her belly rubbed and gently curried, and the best thing in the world is me cleaning her udders. I swear. When I gently wipe the dirt off there with my hands or a warm wet rag, she stretches and arranges herself so that I can reach everything. And arches her neck and works her lips and wants me to "keep doing that, mom"!!

Before I figured out her belly thing, I would sometimes see her in turnout, on her belly, trying to use her legs to drag her belly on the ground to scratch herself. I thought she was going to hurt herself, and soon after that I figured out she was trying to scratch her own belly.

Most other mares I know only barely tolerate having their belly handled or udders cleaned.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

One of my Riles' many quirks is that he LOVES having his ears messed with.
    He likes having ear plugs put in, stretches his neck out and leans into me when I roll them in. He loves having his ears clipped, drops his head, closes his eyes and is just in heaven. So funny. A good thing, though.

Sometimes in the morning when I am about to turn my mare out, she will do a huge cat stretch. She will put her front legs out in front of her and stretch her back. But the funny thing is my old gelding used to do that sometimes too so maybe it's not so unusual.

The other gelding plays with his tongue and always sticking his tongue out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    My mare adores having her belly rubbed and gently curried, and the best thing in the world is me cleaning her udders. I swear. When I gently wipe the dirt off there with my hands or a warm wet rag, she stretches and arranges herself so that I can reach everything. And arches her neck and works her lips and wants me to "keep doing that, mom"!!

Before I figured out her belly thing, I would sometimes see her in turnout, on her belly, trying to use her legs to drag her belly on the ground to scratch herself. I thought she was going to hurt herself, and soon after that I figured out she was trying to scratch her own belly.

Most other mares I know only barely tolerate having their belly handled or udders cleaned.
    I have a mare like this. She loves a good belly scratch and is in heaven when I clean her udder. She will even lift her hind leg so I can reach it better. She also will lay on her belly and rub it on the ground.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

My mare pretends to drink to get out of doing something - she'll go to the water tank, put her nose in, have her mouth open... but she never swallows.

She'll contort herself in amusing ways to get under the bottom rail of the fence to reach that little sprig of grass on the other side (which usually ends with her throwing her back out and a call to the chiropractor).

When it's dinner time, she'll fetch her stablemate. She'll run out to the other mare and neigh at her and herd her back to the barn.

She love "chewing" on my fingers, but she never bites down. She is also very "lippy" and grabs anything/everything in her lips. Her top lip is practically prehensile.
    Enjoying the scenery out on the trails with my 1993 American Quarter Horse mare, Mollys Baby Pearls.

Megs used to pee on the round bale the second anyone put it out in the field . It was a dominance thing and she doesn't do it any more, but she does still pee when you bring her food in her stall. Great for drug testing .
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

My old mare loves to stand her hind legs in an empty bucket. When I am out cleaning the pasture, she follows me and if I turn away, she will try to put her hind leg in the wheel barrow. She also likes to shake hands with her tongue. If you say, 'Shake,' she will stick her tongue out of the corner of her mouth so you can shake it. She also does it as a greeting . Very cute!

We also had a pony who would roll his tongue after eating a treat.

My mare is queen of the trick where she takes a drink of water, but doesn't swallow, holds it in her mouth and waits for the best time to drool it all over you

She's mouthy when she's bored, and finds great amusement in using her lips to flip the clips of her stall guard so they *clang* against the metal o-rings and swing the stall-guard a bit. She will do this for 20 minutes or more at a time...

And finally, she LOVES to rub (her chest and face mostly) on her stall guard, she gets REALLY into it and her bottom lip hangs down inches like she's all doped up from the vet

My gelding has this really odd habit of standing crooked in the x-ties so that he can itch his leg/butt on tack boxes, or in door-ways, haha. I frequently find him with his butt in the tack room door... goober.

He also is obsessed with licking, people mostly. I swear he's just as happy to lick your hand as he is to get a treat.

My oldest OTTB has many nicknames, the most common of which is Captain Comedy. Antics include:
    • limbo-ing silently under his stall guard when your back is turned and his racetrack-style gate is open - that led to my friend who fed him one morning screaming in terror - Boo followed him to the main barn; friend turns around and comes face to face with Boo, who promptly starts cantering in circles in response
    • holding onto the blacksmith's belt with his teeth
    • gently breathing on the back of the blacksmith's neck
    • giving kisses for treats or attention

My youngest gelding is a 16.3, 1375 lb OTTB (according to my BO, who is a former butcher and can judge weight on the hoof very well ; his favourite is hugging your finger with his upper lip - he was orphaned the day he was foaled and was a bottle baby, so I am imagining there might be a tie there .
    LittleMan, who has one eye will tilt his head when he is interested in something.
    Silly turkeys!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I didn't think my horse had that many quirks, but reading through these, I recognize some that he loves to do too... he does the big cat stretch, usually in crossties, and I think it's the most adorable thing ever--neck stretched waaaaaay up, nose tucked in, front legs stretched way out--and then he stretches out one back leg at a time. He looks just like me when I'm trying to wake up.

He's also a drooler--he loves to take a big mouthful of water and wander over and spit it out on me. When we're drinking at the creek, he fills his mouth and turns around and drools it out over the toe of my boot.

He loves having his ears scratched--total ecstasy. I have to actually reach in there and scratch the inside. Also, he knows not to scratch on me or on his leg when he's got the bridle still on, but as soon as I take the bridle off I hold up his "loofah" (cactus cloth) and he rubs his face all over it. When he's done, he bites it, shakes it a few times, and flings it to the ground.

When he's relaxed or sleepy, he stands with his lower lip jutted out and hanging open. I like to play with it, or tuck treats into it and watch him slowly become aware that they're there.