The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which two-wheel wheelbarrow?

I know the big two-wheel wheelbarrows are useful around the farm, but I'm not sure which one I want.

Home Depot has a big Rubbermaid wheelbarrow with bicycle-type wheels for about $150. For some reason I was expecting a 'good' one to cost more like $250, so I'm wondering if this is not the right one.

Which two-wheel cart do you have that's working well?
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Smart carts are the bomb!!

http://www.mullerscarts.com/

Love them!
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Our Rubbermaid is the big one but has the wheelbarrow tires on it. It does well in the snow (might be better to have those tires for snow)...we've beat the snot out of it (it was a hand-me-down when we bought the farm), had to repair a crack my hubby somehow put near the handle (used a piece of metal hinge and screwed it over the crack perpendicular)....it's great. $150 sounds like a good price.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I love our larger size "big wheel utility cart" from rubbermaid. I have had it for 20 years. It has taken a real beating. Great in snow. Well balanced and easy, easy to pull or push. We got a second one about ten years ago and it's also been used hard, but still looks new.

What exactly are you needing it for? I have the $100-ish one from Lowes that is a true wheelbarrow, just 2 wheels, 8cuf capacity. It's not a dump cart, it's not the big Rubbermaid thing, but it does what I need it to do, which is haul enough loose hay for 4 horses twice a day, haul large enough loads of mulch and compost around, etc.

Hubby actually got me a "smart cart" type barrow one year, and while it was awesome on flat surfaces, trying to push it up hills was AWFUL

This is the one I have, I have two of them actually and they are fantastic!

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-41126/Detail
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Amwrider, yep, that's the one hubby got me that year, and it had to go back - couldn't push it up hill with stuff in it

Really? I find it easier to push than other large wheelbarrows.

If you are pushing it uphill into the manure pile, the tires will sink, you have to use a ramp or throw some boards on the manure pile, but I have no issues with it and love the act that it is all molded plastic....no metal handles to corrode, no wooden handles to break.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I was just trying to wheel hay out LOL I was just hard, for me, to get the right leverage to PUSH it rather than have it start to tip down in front. Pushing down enough on the handle to not have that happen often led to it tipping down in back too far. The position of my hands was also quite uncomfortable to push against for a distance

JB, I PULL them up hills (or manure piles) like a work mule Works way better for me and I actually prefer to pull it when it's heavy.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I'm on a similar quest, but what I want is the 'dump cart' idea that the cart actually lifts up on a hinge to dump, but doesn't have the 'long steel hookup arm' underneath that attaches to a cart (looks like it would always be in the way when not attached)...AND that doesn't have a 'wagon pull' handle. I want a wheelbarrow handle/drive action, but a hinged ability for dumping. Anyone? Bueller?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

LOL Melelio! That would have been an option, sure. But one of the reasons I wanted a 2-wheeler was so I could dump hay piles out on the go, to shorten my time. Can't do that if I'm pulling LOL

I have an earlier version of this,
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/groundw...cu-ft--1006402

mine has the wood handles. It was $90 new, I can fit 3 50# bales of hay in it, or enough loose flakes for 2 horses for 24 hours, or 100# of manure, or 400# of sand. I do have to put some effort into moving heavier stuff, but I can reposition it fully loaded with one hand.

I also use it as my wash tub each morning (well the non freezing ones anyhow ), I bale out my stock tank daily and use the water as my wash water for buckets and brushes before dumping it far away from muddy places.

I stand in it, use it as a mounting block, flip it over and stand on the feet to reach things. I leave it out in the weather with the ponies and they flip it around like a toy once in a while. I seriously abuse this wheelbarrow on a daily basis and the only problem I've had is the original tires were crap and didn't want to hold air. I've had it 3 years now and when it gets rained on it looks pretty close to new.

I keep lusting after a rubbermaid one because they are self balancing, but I used a friends to muck a stall and I found it to be a pain to flip over and completely empty. My wheelbarrow I can run up on top of a manure pile and dump wherever I want, I can flip it over with one hand if need be. And I can get mine really well balanced too if I stack stuff just so.

I'm really happy with mine for my uses and purposes. If I had to move big bales of hay/shavings every day to and fro on fairly flat easy ground and didn't need to dump or move water too, I'd want one of those exquisitely balanced garden carts.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    Smart carts are the bomb!!

http://www.mullerscarts.com/

Love them!
    We have one of these carts on the farm and it's the preferred wheelbarrow of choice. It has got to be at least 30 years old.

Highly recommend.
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

What do you all think about the thinner, larger spoked wheels vs the thicker, smaller filled-in wheels?

I have both the Rubbermaid BIG wheelbarrow with big wheels and one like Buck22, and prefer the one like Buck22 has. Rubber tires roll easier on hard ground, wet ground, has much better balance when loaded. The Rubbermaid skinny wheels just cut into the wet ground, balance is hard to move about. Lifting those legs high enough to quit snagging makes things fall out of the front in deep snow.

If I could only have one, it would be the 2-wheel, tradtional shaped wheelbarrow. The plastic tub has taken a lot of abuse over almost 20 years, still holds water, no cracked edges. Any tire problems get hauled to the tire man and he fixes them so they don't go flat.

The Rubbermaid has had the handle broken after serious cracking with abuse by son, dropping bales down into it. NOT made for that. Husband replaced handle, but for the money, this was seriously overpriced. Does hold a lot, 4 bales or tonnage loading the trailer for a show. I put 2 muck tubs inside for cleaning stalls at shows, Never would consider trying to manage it with a full load of manure! Back to tonnage again!! Mostly I use it for a garden cart now, holds a LOT of bagged leaves, bags of garden fertilizer etc.

I wouldn't buy another Rubbermaid cart or wheelbarrow if mine died. Guess we just use them too hard, solid plastic doesn't take that kind of abuse. Slightly flexible plastic of the other one does take abuse better. Could be that I am too tall, proportions just are wrong to use the Rubbermaids in an efficient manner. I do LOVE other Rubbermaid products, which is why I bought that wheelbarrow in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    That 8cf one is pretty much the same as the one I have from Lowes. But OMG, they have a TEN cuf one too! That will be my next one, now that I have 4 horses to wheel out hay for

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    The Rubbermaid skinny wheels just cut into the wet ground, balance is hard to move about. Lifting those legs high enough to quit snagging makes things fall out of the front in deep snow.
    Exactly, and pulling one uphill would be just as problematic for me

If I could only have one, it would be the 2-wheel, tradtional shaped wheelbarrow. The plastic tub has taken a lot of abuse over almost 20 years, still holds water, no cracked edges.
    The only problem I have with the one we have, which has since been fixed because it WAS a problem, is the washers for the bolts which connect the plastic body to the handles are really too small, and over time, the constant dumping and pulling and twisting ended up tearing through the plastic. Easily repaired with bigger washers, but with the next one, that's the first thing I'll do.

JB, I would recommend you stay with the the 8ft model, because the 10ft ones tempt you to overload yourself with all that space. I bought the 8ft model precisely for that reason. I DON'T NEED to be fighting with an extra 100 pounds and only make one trip. Better to have the smaller load, make two trips and be able to manage loaded wheelbarrow easily thru any bad conditions of mud, uphills, deep snow.

People get more hurt wrestling big loads than you would ever think. Then you add in bad footing, being in a hurry, fighting the big loaded weight, and you are set up for injury if you slip or load moves unexpectedly. We had the use of some 10ft wheelbarrows at Fair and they were awkward to use. The 4-H kids, even adult sized ones, had a hard time with them loaded full of manure on FLAT ground, getting them emptied onto the pile. These are muscular kids, used to wheelbarrows. These were just too big and usually overloaded just because they held more. Made me glad for my smaller 8ft model.

When you do get the new wheelbarrow, you may want to look into plastic washers for the bolts to the handles. Sometimes you can find heavy plastic and cut some, like those flexible notebook covers. Even get a couple layers of the plastic washers for each bolt. The idea is for plastic to plastic contact, with washers taking the abuse from your metal washers under the bolt heads. When the plastic washers wear down, you replace them with more. SHOULD help prevent wear of metal on plastic tub of the wheelbarrow itself, so the tub doesn't get worn.

Not sure if addition of plastic washers under larger metal washers, in present wheelbarrow would help or not. Might prevent more rip out of the tub plastic with use. Just an idea for you. I have trouble getting rid of a "trained" wheelbarrow!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    That 8cf one is pretty much the same as the one I have from Lowes. But OMG, they have a TEN cuf one too! That will be my next one, now that I have 4 horses to wheel out hay for

Exactly, and pulling one uphill would be just as problematic for me

The only problem I have with the one we have, which has since been fixed because it WAS a problem, is the washers for the bolts which connect the plastic body to the handles are really too small, and over time, the constant dumping and pulling and twisting ended up tearing through the plastic. Easily repaired with bigger washers, but with the next one, that's the first thing I'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    JB, I would recommend you stay with the the 8ft model, because the 10ft ones tempt you to overload yourself with all that space. I bought the 8ft model precisely for that reason. I DON'T NEED to be fighting with an extra 100 pounds and only make one trip. Better to have the smaller load, make two trips and be able to manage loaded wheelbarrow easily thru any bad conditions of mud, uphills, deep snow.
    Oh, but the 10ft one would be to hold more hay. I do very well right now with a very loaded (from a round bale, so peeled off) 8ft model, but for 3 horses in the cold of Winter, it's piled high and I have to use a bungee to hold it all down when windy until I can pop off a few piles. Now with 4 horses, I would love to be able to put more in - it won't be too heavy, talking 50-55lb of hay at a time vs 40-45 or so

But oh gawd no, I have a hard enough time with the 8ft model full of mulch and can't EVEN fill it with compost LOL

When you do get the new wheelbarrow, you may want to look into plastic washers for the bolts to the handles. Sometimes you can find heavy plastic and cut some, like those flexible notebook covers. Even get a couple layers of the plastic washers for each bolt. The idea is for plastic to plastic contact, with washers taking the abuse from your metal washers under the bolt heads. When the plastic washers wear down, you replace them with more. SHOULD help prevent wear of metal on plastic tub of the wheelbarrow itself, so the tub doesn't get worn.
    What a fantastic idea, thanks!

These are the best; http://www.ezhaulcart.com/pdf/EZ_HAUL_BROCHURE_BACK.pdf (jumbo with no flat tyres)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._