The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Holiday gift giving for horse people: need help!

I'd like to get a holiday gift for the barn manager who has been very helpful in working with me and my horse. Yes I am paying this person, but they've gone above and beyond by always being available even last minute or late in the evening when I've had a crazy schedule at work.

I'm toying between getting this person a gift certificate say to Dovers or Bevals so they can get whatever they want. Then part of me feels like that's not very personal and it might be fun to put together a horse-themed gift basket. If I did the latter I'm not sure what to put in it though since I don't know why they need.

Any suggestions??

If it were me, I'd rather a personal gift than a gift certificate. It's the thought that counts! And when I worked as barn manager, I think the big thing for me is just knowing I was valued. I would definitely include a card with a nice personal note inside telling them how much you appreciate X Y Z that she does.

Do they own their own horse? If so, why not do a themed grooming tool basket? One can never have too many grooming items. Bonus points for buying it all in their favorite color.

How about a movie night themed basket: several really good horse-themed DVDs? And as employer, would you consider including a certificate for a "paid night off"? The idea being they get to stay home, watch movies, & relax?

Do they have a favorite food? Why not a chocolate or wine themed basket?