The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default eventing barns

Hey everyone,

Over Christmas break I am planning on visiting some barns around Auburn, AL. AU is one of my options for college, and was wondering if anyone knew of some great eventing barns in that area.

Thanks in Advance!

I do not personally know the area, but you can look here: http://usea3.org/links/Eventing%20Barns%20and%20Farms
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Hey!
    I run a boarding facility in Auburn and would love for you to stop by. :-) we have a dressage ring and a jump field with a full course of jumps. There aren't any big name evening trainers in Auburn, but we have several eventers at my place and we travel and compete regularly. Check out our website at www.silverliningequestrian.sports.officelive.com and let me know if you'd like to come by!

Awesome, thank you Foxygrl, I will be in contact with you soon

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post

Do you know if they do eventing too, or just the hunter/jumpers?

Giving an extra thumbs up for Foxygrl! I half-lease a horse at her place, and I love it. Relaxing atmosphere and a great group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by maggie32 View Post
    Do you know if they do eventing too, or just the hunter/jumpers?
    Yes, it is an eventing barn. Owner/Trainer Susan Wainwright was long-listed for the 96 Olympics as an eventer. Jimmy Wofford is her mentor and comes once a year for a 2-day clinic. Barn Manager Annie Aul has competed through CCI**. Her BS in Equine Science is from Auburn. More info at the link I provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post
    Yes, it is an eventing barn. Owner/Trainer Susan Wainwright was long-listed for the 96 Olympics as an eventer. Jimmy Wofford is her mentor and comes once a year for a 2-day clinic. Barn Manager Annie Aul has competed through CCI**. Her BS in Equine Science is from Auburn. More info at the link I provided.
    oh sorry, I didn't mean to ask that about Foxwood. I was thinking of Southern Springs Equine where Annie Aul used to be.

I actually board and train with Susan at Foxwood. She's fabulous!! She's great with all levels of horses and riders and is especially talented on the flat. She's currently competing her homebred gelding at 4th level. We have a great group of people at the barn and have fun everywhere we go. Susan really encourages a "team" spirit and doesn't put up with the typical barn drama. Even if you didn't board at Foxwood, it would be worth coming down for some lessons. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any more info.

Thanks so much for the info, I was looking at the website and it looks like an awesome place an exactly what I'm looking for. I love that Susan is so talented at dressage, my horse and I need all the help we can get in the category
    If only it weren't 40 min. from auburn...

Unfortunately, Foxwood is a pretty solid hour away from Auburn. (50 miles, one way.) As a student, my recommendation is to find a barn close in, and trailer/hitch a ride out to lessons and clinics at Susan's. We have several barns within a 15 minute drive.

As a freshman, you're going to be spending a lot of time meeting new people and studying for your classes. At another university, I spent my freshman year going out to a barn that was 40 minutes one way. It was doable (all highway), but I had to set aside at least 3-4 hours of my day to make it worth it. Not to mention gas money! I did it again when I transferred to Auburn and rode out in Shorter (another 35 miles away). I can't tell you how nice it is to have the barn 10 minutes away so I can sneak a ride in between my 2 hour break if I want to.

Here's a list of other Auburn barns that I can think off the top of my head:
    Silver Lining: www.silverliningequestrian.sports.officelive.com
    H&G: http://www.hghorsequarters.com/
    Southern Springs: http://www.southernspringsequine.com/
    Shiloh: http://www.stablesofshilohfarms.com/new/index.php
    High Point: http://www.highpointfarmsauburn.com/
    Rockwood: http://www.rockwoodequestrian.com/

In addition, there are also several self-care places and a couple awesome private farms that I can try get information for you.

If you need training on-site thats a little closer in, try SuCaro Ridge. I've only been to the facility once, but its drop dead gorgeous. I don't know a thing about Judy's program, but I believe KBG Eventer used to train with her. Its about 30 minutes away, plus or minus 5, in Tuskegee.

Wow, thank you so much for all the great info Tres Grey!
    An hour would definitely be too much if I boarded him there, but I was thinking it would be a great place to trailer into once a week or so.

Thats very helpful of you to list those barns, I have found a couple of them from searching online but not Shiloh, High Point or Rockwood so Ill have to check those out.

I did see Sucaro Ridge's website the other day...WOW. That's a nice facility. Curious as to what the boarding costs though?

Btw- where did you board when you were there, or are you still there?

Thank you so much again, I know that took a lot of your time.

I'm still here! But I graduate in May so we'll just miss each other. My horse is back home in GA, but I half-lease a wonderful guy at Silver Lining. Its a great place to be. Super laid back, nice group of people, and Steph definitely knows her stuff.

I found this rate sheet on Sucaro's website. Its a little old, but should be good enough to give you a guideline. I do believe that boarders have to be in their lesson program. http://www.sucaroridge.com/2010%20Fe...%20Int-Adv.pdf

No problem! If you have any questions about Auburn, horsey or otherwise, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. I'm happy to help!

I'd love for you to come out sometime Maggie! Thanks for the vote, Tres

Foxwood is a really great place and Susan is absolutely top notch. We go to shows at her place regularly. Annie is really good with the horses as well. It's a very nice facility with some wonderful people. It is a HAUL from Auburn though, if you're looking for somewhere to board and be able to ride between classes regularly.
    Actually, the girl that owns the horse that tres grey half leases is going to be trailering out to Foxwood at least a couple of times a week to train starting this Spring Semester. We also have friends that travel regularly to Imtiaz Anees for lessons. Allina Bell is a *wonderful* trainer for both jumping and dressage and she has come to my place for lessons occasionally and I trailer to her as well. So there are plenty of opportunities to get in front of high quality upper level Eventing trainers while in Auburn. It's all about being in the right place at the right time.

Of course, I'm partial to my place and we have a *great* group of people. But there are several other options in town that have their pluses and minuses. H&G is the nicest facility in town, but it is a Hunter/Jumper barn with very little to no eventing influence. They do have a pretty barn and nice rings though. Shiloh is a very nice barn with a good arena, but it is a solid 25 min or so out of town and there aren't many people there. Southern Springs is really close to campus and has a big barn with some nice options. The footing in the ring and pastures isn't great, but functional. I think Rockwood is the one that the local Pony Club runs out of. I've never seen it, but if you're in pony club you might like being with other PCers.

I'm looking forward to meeting you! I have a girl feeding for me Thurs afternoon through Saturday morning while I'm away for a few days of Christmas festivities. But I'll be in town during the rest of the break, so please do come by!

I actually did have my horse at Rockwood for a month when I first moved down here- it is a beautiful piece of property and the owner is very nice, but the arena isn't the best (smallish, not that great of footing), and the jumps are in a pasture where other horses are turned out. Pasture also has barbed wire around the back 1/2, which I didn't find out until I walked the fenceline!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Okay, thank you. Rockwood does look like a beautiful place with gorgeous land. Thank you for letting me know about some of the disadvantages. and thank you FoxyGrl for giving me info on all of those barns around auburn-extremely helpful!
    Hopefully I'll get to meet you next week

Does anyone know anything about high point farm?

I rode at SuCaro Ridge a few years ago (2004-2007). I got my start in riding/eventing there and have a lot of good memories! I can't really speak for their current program since it's been a few years, but tres grey is right that it is beautiful farm. If you're interested, you should definitely call!
    T3DE Pact

Quote Originally Posted by KBG Eventer View Post
    I rode at SuCaro Ridge a few years ago (2004-2007). I got my start in riding/eventing there and have a lot of good memories! I can't really speak for their current program since it's been a few years, but tres grey is right that it is beautiful farm. If you're interested, you should definitely call!
    Thanks for the info! I was looking at their rate sheet and have a question about the board. It says that it is 450 and it includes a stall only in very inclement weather. Does this mean that your horse is pretty much on pasture board (out 24/7) and they only bring them in if the weather is bad?