year after year I have come back to this board, with different names sometimes...but there is an attraction herethat callsme and I won't categorize it.
Some posters are interesting because they are wonderful, some less so, but still interesting.
A board whose mods are not afraid to allow some snark and frank criticism- and a fair share of butterfly farting unicorns too. Where the mods will allow the asshats enough rope to hang themselves. Rare in these days of political correctness.
A board where controversy, when well backed up, can be allowed to stand.
And where courage (yes Leena, OMG, you saved my sanity more than once) is allowed to shine.
CotH, this is a unique place.
"The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF
I think that the sssssssssnake thread by 2Jakes has been a very informative and entertaining thread. Even for people who aren't fans of snakes. It has continued for a long time now. She is educating everyone. Except I can never remember the color combo for coral snakes.
Adding to my list:
People I'd like to meet - Bluey and DaydreamBeliever, though maybe not at the same time, nor over a standing rib roast.
I would like to get to meet Bluey, too. I owe Bluey a super nice dinner sometime...... if I ever make it out west.
However I think I owe a lot of you a nice dinner or something nice. There are days that COTH drives me insane and I've sworn to myself I wouldn't return (but I never tell anyone else that I am leaving.... ). But then I do remember that there are some wonderfully kind, giving, generous, funny and supportive people here on COTH. I'm still grateful to those who helped out after Hurricane Ike gave our place a beating and again when the tornado hit us two years later. Who put up with my 'I'm done' posts after the tornado and didn't think I was insane. You guys are the best.
And there are great people on here who support Bluebonnet and/or other rescues - and I am grateful for each and every one of you.
Thank you all for being here on COTH. I've learned a lot, hopefully gotten to educate a few about rescue topics, laughed and cried (I STILL can't read the menagerie board... any sad threads remind me of the cat I lost this year and I start crying again!).
1. Your Favorite Thread of the Year.
Leena's thread, hands down.
2. Thread that has impacted you the most.
sounds colicky ....Argus' passing and learning his story after the fact, was moving and happy and sad all at once.
3. Thread that just would NOT die but you really wished it would!
When the Parelli stuff comes up and just pukes all over its own shoes.
4. Thread that you wish had never died.
mmm....sometimes you get a gem in the Dressage forum where real, actual, legit advice starts popping and snapping. I've picked up some great bits and pieces...but those threads can't go on forever: there are lots of roads to Rome, but not an infinite number . The funny threads that crackle with good humor and no one's trying to get digs in, just having FUN, those are a blast
5. Most Eye-Catching thread title.
I got nothin'
6. Topic that has given you recurring nightmares.
The snakes- I just had to step away, it was giving me the heeby jeebies
7. Person who posts for no reason but to see their name in lights.
No one comes to mind. I think some prolific posters may be lonely, others may be trying hard to fit in within a new forum, others are just bored at work. The worst offender has been gone for some time now, SLC.
8. Best username.
I like the name CatOnLap and Aunt Esther is classic.
9. Most annoying username.
Anything with lots of ***!!!*** oR MiXeD cASe.
10. Most inspirational poster
11. Poster in most need of visiting a sanitarium.
Do you really think this question is a good idea LOL
12. Poster whose threads you look most forward to reading.
Meupatdoes has taught me a lot, I look for her commentary on riding and other topics. There are some very funny and witty posters whom I can't think of right now, but they crackle with wit and humor
13. Poster who you want to come back as in your next life.
Coreene- she is fabulous.
14. Poster who you most want to meet in person but haven't yet.
JSwan and the hunters...I don't jump but maybe they'll let me have a sip of what they're having
15. Poster whose horse you would jump in front of a train for.MP's Fred
16. Poster that always puts you in a good mood.Misty Blue is consistently a good egg
17. Most Valuable Friend(s) that you have gained as a result of this BB.My trainer. I found her from a recommendation by TKR on the Dressage forum.
18. Most memorable event from the BB this year.No clue on this one.
19. Poster who you want to "vote off the island." MP. We're going to the islands together, we'll braid hair and gather concho shells to make a living, and we don't need no innernet
20. Thing(s) you would change most about the BB.I'd like to see the Like button installed- that would perhaps stop folks from quoting a novel in order to write "Like" or "This". Just a little Like Button, please
21. What you like best about the BB? The variety, the scope, the humor. Excellent moderation, and I know I test their fences from time to time, I believe that Mod 1 makes a great effort to be fair and not play favorites.
22. Has anyone/thing/topic changed the way you live? I didn't like snakes before, and I don't like snakes now. No change
23. In general - how was 2011 for you? We had some personal challenges, as anyone does. We lost my FIL suddenly in the Spring, I developed a chronic illness mid summer that made me pretty angry and sulled up, I had a nasty mule wreck mid summer, and I changed jobs late Fall. Loads of change, lots of adjusting. But we also added a sweet new horse to the herd, my good horse is doing beautifullly coming up the levels in Dressage, my family is healthy and strong and we're going to be fine. I'm looking forward to 2012, and I hope everyone else is as well
Last edited by katarine; Dec. 21, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
Leena wins hands down for most heartwarming thread, and her courage in the face of her demon really has made an impression on my life!
I got to meet a super great new friend - horse-loverz - and helped her find her perfect pony Puck! And esg, my facebook friend who makes me laugh and loves my doggy photos.
I was lucky enough to get a fabulous, talented, thoughtful elf - thank you again LovelyBay for brightening my Christmas more than you know!
Zuzu, thanks for Always being Optimistic - I try to live that rule too.
ChocoMare is an angel....as are so many people here.
Merry, Blessed Christmas!
Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
The Barkalicious Bakery