The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default It's Time for: The Best of COTH 2011

As we've done each December, let's sum up and enjoy the memories, especially the funny ones:

1. Your Favorite Thread of the Year.

2. Thread that has impacted you the most.

3. Thread that just would NOT die but you really wished it would!

4. Thread that you wish had never died.

5. Most Eye-Catching thread title.

6. Topic that has given you recurring nightmares.

7. Person who posts for no reason but to see their name in lights.

8. Best username.

9. Most annoying username.

10. Most inspirational poster

11. Poster in most need of visiting a sanitarium.

12. Poster whose threads you look most forward to reading.

13. Poster who you want to come back as in your next life.

14. Poster who you most want to meet in person but haven't yet.

15. Poster whose horse you would jump in front of a train for.

16. Poster that always puts you in a good mood.

17. Most Valuable Friend(s) that you have gained as a result of this BB.

18. Most memorable event from the BB this year.

19. Poster who you want to "vote off the island."

20. Thing(s) you would change most about the BB.

21. What you like best about the BB?

22. Has anyone/thing/topic changed the way you live?

23. In general - how was 2011 for you?

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Oh geez, that's a long list! Favorite thread was probably the one on the eventing board about the horse statue at Rebecca Farms... That was a good one. I can think of a few posters I'd vote off the island and into a sanitarium, but good grace doesn't permit me to say, lol.

At the time, I really wished the skittlespony/PE1 saga would die. That got old after a while. As far as inspirational things go, the "update on me" thread that's been going for a while on the equestrians with disabilities board has been hugely inspirational to me.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

HA! You got voted off the island when I got my hay net. The "ladies" are not happy at all (especially the fat palomino) and she wants your address!

ETA: "I" love the net!
    Last edited by Shine; Dec. 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

What I like best about COTH.

I have made many good, kind, helpful friends. Some I have not met-yet-, others, I have met, such as you, Watery Glen.

LOL when I traveld to WG's place to rub shoulders with those at the HP weekend, I was asked on more than one occasion: You are going up to...stay with someone...you met online...: Is that...a good...idea...?????
    Sounds quite sinister, doesn't it? Also met JSwan, Hinderella, Whicker, and many more-I am sorry I can't remember your COTH names.

However, WG had plenty of coffee and I got to meet Calais. Coffee, food-lots o' food, hounds, crazy horse people-thank you for corrupting little old me.
    I AM planning to do a HP weekend-as in hunting, in March.

Hunting and basseting. Is there anything else in the world?

I don't think I can answer all of them, but as for #17, I met Lucassb through this board and she's a very close friend now. Love when that happens

Some of those questions better be left unanswered.
    We debate, so I am sure there are those that would want to put those they debate on a raft and push them off the island.
    Then there are a few that seem to just troll for kicks, seem to be annoying on purpose, no matter what they say.

I will answer this one:

When I see some names I want to go see what they are saying, even in threads I didn't previously took the time to read.
    Those include:
    JSwan, always interesting to hear what she has to say and how she puts it.
    Misty Blue (I think that is the name) is on the dot and very funny.
    Deltawave, always instructional.
    Zu-Zu, AO, always optimistic, she makes everyone's day better.

I opened this thread because it was posted by Chocomare, one of the interesting posters.

Too bad I forget names of good posters when I try to give due, as here.

The best threads were the TBs in dressage threads. I have one of those so they were special.

The most interesting thing to me was that through my growing irritation with one poster, and her comparison by others with a banned poster who is a personal friend of mine, I learned the depths of the meanness of some people on COTH, and learned to check my own snark. Most of the time. And made friends with the OP.

But what impresses me most is the great generosity of COTHers, who give so freely of their time and experience. I learn something on here every day.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I am too new here to really be able to answer most of the questions but I too opened this thread because it was posted by Chocomare!

SO much good advice here and some really nice, caring people, for the most part. And funny, funny stuff.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I will answer this one:

When I see some names I want to go see what they are saying, even in threads I didn't previously took the time to read.
    Those include:
    JSwan, always interesting to hear what she has to say and how she puts it.
    Misty Blue (I think that is the name) is on the dot and very funny.
    Deltawave, always instructional.
    Zu-Zu, AO, always optimistic, she makes everyone's day better.

I opened this thread because it was posted by Chocomare, one of the interesting posters.

Too bad I forget names of good posters when I try to give due, as here.
    I concur, and add Chocomare, Bluey, CowgirlJenn, Munchkins Mom, LoriO, Hundred Acres, Aventura Two (always interesting), Ghazzu, Grateaan, DressageGeek, CloudyandCallie, Mike Matson, Medical Mike, Frank, His Greyness, and the wonderful folks who have shared their Christmas videos to the list!

As for CotH generosity, I have an incident of my own to share. Several years ago we ran into a rough stretch with our horses. The old mare had to be put down in 2002; after a battle with colic surgery and lameness, my horse died suddenly from something else in 2004; fourteen months later, MrChief2's horse died of colic surgery complications and we were then out of horses. After reading of our woes Chocomare offered to send me her beloved mare Tankie, all the way from home to Connecticut. I could never have accepted such a nice gift as Tankie, but that gesture alone went a long way towards healing my heart! Thank you, Chocomare! Please give Tankie a kiss from me.
    Last edited by Chief2; Dec. 17, 2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Name correction
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    I concur, and add Chocomare, Bluey, CowboyJenn, Munchkins Mom, LoriO, Hundred Acres, Aventura Two (always interesting), Ghazzu, Grateaan, DressageGeek, CloudyandCallie, Mike Matson, Medical Mike, Frank, His Greyness, and the wonderful folks who have shared their Christmas videos to the list!

As for CotH generosity, I have an incident of my own to share. Several years ago we ran into a rough stretch with our horses. The old mare had to be put down in 2002; after a battle with colic surgery and lameness, my horse died suddenly from something else in 2004; fourteen months later, MrChief2's horse died of colic surgery complications and we were then out of horses. After reading of our woes Chocomare offered to send me her beloved mare Tankie, all the way from home to Connecticut. I could never have accepted such a nice gift as Tankie, but that gesture alone went a long way towards healing my heart! Thank you, Chocomare! Please give Tankie a kiss from me.
    Oh, yes, those and many others, I was/am having a senior moment on names.
    Really, too many to name. Thank you for adding those.

That was a neat story, just what this thread is about, I think.

(now all verklempt. sniff sniff )

Consider kisses given. Tank loffs kisses.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I cannot answer all of the catagories but I do think of all the great people who have donated their help and items to others. To name a few:
    Zakkandtoto who gave her horse's expensive soft rides to appychik. Oops that may have been last Fall, but she deserves credit anyway.
    Whoever gave the blanket to shiloh this week for her horse's girlfriend who was abandonned at her barn.
    There are so many people who have stepped up and helped others with blankets and advice.

And a special thanks and award to wanderluster and lauraky. They are on my favorite thread. I am forever in your debt.

I would vote Thomson off the island. He counts, since he came onto one thread as a cother to complain about the people he.......well never mind.

And Leena gets the courage award. She has all taught us to live in the moment and cherish life with our horses.

As for my year, pretty good. Cloudy got lavaliered and then married to a nice little domestic ATA. Everyone stayed pretty healthy altho I lost my old 15 yoa rescued dog, and an almost to 19 yoa rescued kitty. But they lived long lives so I cannot complain.
    Lots of my friends have had big financial problems, so I'm hoping that they will be able to hang in there and keep their homes next year.

Folks are already doing a good job of it, but let's avoid specifically nailing anyone to the wall on the less complimentary categories...

Thanks!
    Mod 1

I have a cool COTH story too, now that I think about it. A few years ago, my mare had colic surgery and I posted here at about 11:30 p.m. (eastern). I ended up with more than 300 heartfelt messages and good wishes for her, tons of sympathy, and a lot of congratulations when she came back from it better than ever. I wrote about the support from COTH in my college apps and scholarship application essays and received a lot of positive feedback.

COTHers helped me put together my resume, which has gotten some amazing compliments from people in high places.

I could go on and on - COTH is the best.

One of my all time favorite threads was the "Greasy Balls" from Around the Farm. Hilarious Can't remember if that was this year tho.

There are alot of people here that I enjoy "debating" with.

I think the one person that stands out to me for her knowledge is VineyRidge. Her knowledge of pedigrees is astounding.
    I would love to pick her brain.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I have a cool COTH story too, now that I think about it. A few years ago, my mare had colic surgery and I posted here at about 11:30 p.m. (eastern). I ended up with more than 300 heartfelt messages and good wishes for her, tons of sympathy, and a lot of congratulations when she came back from it better than ever. I wrote about the support from COTH in my college apps and scholarship application essays and received a lot of positive feedback.

COTHers helped me put together my resume, which has gotten some amazing compliments from people in high places.

I could go on and on - COTH is the best.

Originally, I tried to answer the whole thing, then deleted it because I didn't want to name names. But Supershorty, you were my answer to #16.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

My favorite CoTH thread was hearing about how we contributed to FlashGordon becoming a horse owner again. She has been so kind and supportive to me and many other folks, it only seems right that she has a new pony of her own to have fun with. :-)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

#20 NEED LIKE BUTTON

The end I haven't really been active enough long enough to answer the rest Except

#11: probably myself
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

1. Your Favorite Thread of the Year.
    Oh, good grief - Chronicle Forums was certainly one of the highlights.
    Why is the horse world so filled with flaming nut balls? - Chronicle Forums
    was pretty good as well.
    2. Thread that has impacted you the most.
    There is always something that hits close to home. Nothing specific, but it's good to see now and then that decency and kindness still exists. And we generally have a great bunch around here.

On a sad note, the stories from drought stricken areas hurt, or from the aftermath of natural disasters. Sadly we have had plenty of both this year.

3. Thread that just would NOT die but you really wished it would!
    Slaughter threads
    4. Thread that you wish had never died.
    Every good things has to come to an end some time.

5. Most Eye-Catching thread title.
    Greasy balls and TITS, of course.

6. Topic that has given you recurring nightmares.

7. Person who posts for no reason but to see their name in lights.

I wonder who this Alagirl person is. I bet you a dollar she has no life!

8. Best username.

9. Most annoying username.

10. Most inspirational poster

11. Poster in most need of visiting a sanitarium.
    Visiting or being admitted to one?

Misty Blue, JSwan, Cowgirljen, Dressage Geek, Whoofandwhinnie made the list this year, but I am a sucker for spots!

13. Poster who you want to come back as in your next life.
    See above

14. Poster who you most want to meet in person but haven't yet.
    See above, Add Chocomare...

15. Poster whose horse you would jump in front of a train for.
    I only jump behind trains, sorry.
    16. Poster that always puts you in a good mood.
    Misty Blue and JSwan.
    17. Most Valuable Friend(s) that you have gained as a result of this BB.

18. Most memorable event from the BB this year.

19. Poster who you want to "vote off the island."

This Alagirl person...she is nuts I tell ya.

20. Thing(s) you would change most about the BB.
    I think a 'like', 'give thanks' feature would streamline some threads and cut down on the '^^THIS' posts
    21. What you like best about the BB?

A wealth of knowledge and the majority of people are sane.

22. Has anyone/thing/topic changed the way you live?

23. In general - how was 2011 for you?

Don't ask/don't tell!
    2012 can only get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Great thread!

Is there a category for 'Love It All, But Don't Have Time For All Of It.'

That would be a category for me! I've learned a lot and hope to have given a few but in the end we are one global nation/ world equine. Happy Holidays and keep up the good work.