The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HJ/Foxhunting in Athens, GA?

Hi all,

I will be moving to Athens, GA shortly and I'm now searching for a good barn there. I am really a HJ rider, but I have been meddling in fox hunting up in Virginia and I absolutely love it. Is anyone aware of any barns in Athens where Shakerag (the closest hunt club) members keep their horses? I am not comfortable trailering on my own, so sharing transport would be a plus, and I would love to have a few fox hunting buddies around the barn anyways. I'm familiar with some of the show barns in the area (Silverthorn, High Point, Four Seasons)...but totally clueless about whether any riders who keep their horses at these barns also fox hunt. Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I would recommend contacting the Secretary of Shakerag and asking them if they could give you contact info for some H/J barns that are within their territory and fit your needs (of either having other members who board there, or the barn being within hacking distance of some of their meets), or if they could put you into contact with some members who would be knowledgeable about available barns.

Also, send an inquiry out on FOL.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Try Inyazura Farms. High staff turnover, but if you can deal with that, the owners are nice and pretty much everyone there foxhunts or events. The facility itself is fabulous! No indoor, but lots of fantastic and very well kept trails, good jumping, nice dressage arena. The ceiling fans keep the horses cool in the summer. The horse I kept there was a retiree but when I was there, it seemed there were always clinics and things going on, either at Inyazura or at the BNT eventing barn next door.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Would be somewhat doubtful about an ongoing connection to Shakerag, but cannot say enough good things about Kat Mulkey at Four Seasons. She is really good people. Cannot go wrong there!
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com