The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Riding on property alone...how do you stay safe?

I live and keep my horses on my own and have two youngsters that are just getting started under saddle. Wondering how other people in similar situations deal with riding greenies with no one else on the property. "I've fallen and I can't get up" alert systems, web cam, babysitter (that last one is harder than it sounds)? Riding my older mare never gave me a second thought, but the youngsters, well behaved as they are, seem to be a whole different story.
    www.hawkstracefarm.com
    Home of Peggy, Doodles, Maggie, and Lexi the wonder horse!

I've done and know of others that have a call system in place. if there is someone you can let know you are riding and will call when done and if they don't hear from you in x time, call you and then emergency services if you don't answer. Secondly always have your cell phone - there was just a COTHer seriously hurt that was able to call for help
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    I've done and know of others that have a call system in place. if there is someone you can let know you are riding and will call when done and if they don't hear from you in x time, call you and then emergency services if you don't answer. Secondly always have your cell phone - there was just a COTHer seriously hurt that was able to call for help
    And keep the cell phone on your body, not in a saddle pack. I stick mine in my bra between the girls.

My arena is next to the road, hopefully if I falla nd can't call someone will notice the body and loose horse.

Also Mr P checks in a few times a day
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Don't over think it all, it's fairly crippling.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    I've done and know of others that have a call system in place. if there is someone you can let know you are riding and will call when done and if they don't hear from you in x time, call you and then emergency services if you don't answer.
    This, exactly. When I was out riding alone on my youngster, I would call my husband just before I put the bridle on, and call him as soon as I dismounted. I usually ride for 30-45minutes and if he didn't hear from me in an hour, he was to call me back and then come looking for me if he couldn't get in touch.

Especially important if you might freeze to death before someone notices you're in trouble -- which is my situation 4/5 months of the year.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I'm far from the most safety conscious person around, but even I won't ride a green horse without someone around. If I absolutely had to, I'd have my cell phone on my person and check in with somebody before and after.

If I am riding an unpredictable horse, I call my husband and let him know when I am getting on and if he doesn't hear from me within a set time, he knows I might be in trouble. Thankfully, I have never had a spill when there is no one around (I save mine for an audience).

Quote Originally Posted by Creaghgal View Post
    Don't over think it all, it's fairly crippling.
    Well yes and no.

I slipped in the GARAGE and knew instantly that I had broken my ankle. Luckily I was not alone and we packed the ankle in ice and wrapped it and drove 45 min to the nearest ER. The doctor was very impressed. He said had we not done that things would have been much worse.

So, I let Mr P know my schedule, keep my cell phone in my bra.....and ride
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I usually call a friend and let her know I'm climbing aboard. That or post on Facebook. I've also told the neighbors that if they see me working with the big brown horse to please look out their window every once in a while to make sure I'm not sprawled on the ground.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Be smart and trust your instincts: Is it windy? Icy? Neighbors shooting off fireworks? Horse acting fresh? Etc., Etc., Etc.

Just be smart about your surroundings and your plans and 99% of the time you'll be fine!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

I did the text before/after thing with an unpredictable horse. Now that SO is on shore duty for the next three years, hopefully I won't be riding alone as much.

FWIW, I hate riding alone, I hate knowing that I can be hurt and lay there for hours even though I board, because it's at the end of a road and the owners are often gone for hours, but I still ride.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

My BO laid in the round pen after a recent fall while her tenant was up in the house sipping her morning coffee, so just having someone on the property is no guarantee - you still have to take safety precautions. She also had her cell phone on her but after the fall it was jarred loose and she couldn't find it. Fortunately a friend called her about 10 minutes later and she was able to grope around her back and find the phone to answer it - luckily she wasn't knocked out!

The precaution I always took was the "if you don't hear from me in a hour, call. If I don't answer, send a neighbor to check." You can't prevent all accidents, or bubble wrap yourself; all you can do is take reasonable precautions. I rode in the woods by myself all the time before cell phones, and just let someone know where I was going and when I'd be back. I had to be rescued once when a duck flew up in my green horse's face and she dumped me, so I was glad I did that - it was a long walk home .

After my horse fell on me two years ago, my husband put in a webcam. Now my mother in another state checks in on me every day and if I am riding the greenie, I call her to be sure she is watching. Always have a cell phone as well, which I didn't the day of the accident.

BTW, the webcam is awesome. I can access it from my phone so I can see how the horse left at home is reacting when I take one out on a ride. I can also check on when my horse sitter is putting them in and out even when I am in Europe.

I make sure to always ride with my cell phone, and I make sure that somebody knows where I am going if I am riding off property.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Make sure you have contact numbers memorized.... I've smashed a cellphone (that was in my jacket pocket) in a fall before. The screen was useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdenfarm View Post
    After my horse fell on me two years ago, my husband put in a webcam. Now my mother in another state checks in on me every day and if I am riding the greenie, I call her to be sure she is watching. Always have a cell phone as well, which I didn't the day of the accident.

BTW, the webcam is awesome. I can access it from my phone so I can see how the horse left at home is reacting when I take one out on a ride. I can also check on when my horse sitter is putting them in and out even when I am in Europe.
    Really like that idea. I'm guessing you can record video as well so that you can go back and watch a ride. What camera or system did you use? Straight up web cam or a security system type of set up?
    www.hawkstracefarm.com

Lots of good advice, thanks everyone. I like the call system and think I am going to get a small key pad pay as you go phone specifically for riding. If the iPhone screen gets damaged, it will be useless. I also like the in the bra idea and a little clamshell phone would probably be a better fit.

Going to see if the web cam set up would be feasible and will probably look at setting up a riding area in my front pasture up by the road. Might have to do some fill and leveling for that but I already have the start of lights up there, so may gain some night riding ability in the process.
    www.hawkstracefarm.com

Cell phone has GPS, I can be found with Google Latitude. But I've been known to do insane things in insane places without cell service so I used one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/784892/sp...-gps-messenger

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdenfarm View Post

Wow, where is your webcam that someone can see all that?

I used to ride on trails quite frequently alone. LOVED those autumn hours just me and the big old chestnut gelding. However, once i found a few holes in the ground i became really paranoid that something horrible would happen.
    Tack of the day had armband cell phone holders for sale one day, so I bought one. As it turned out, i started riding at my trainer's home barn very shortly after, and never bought a cheapy cell phone to fit in it. At her barn, someone is almost always there, and there's only been a handful of times when I've ridden completely alone. Still, I want to buy one just to have on me and spare my beautiful, lovely, expensive phone!
    My trainer has said her worst horse accident occurred while she was on the ground... Something I think about when I'm doing barn chores by myself.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)