The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion for a Connemara/TB mare? Escudo II experiences?

I have a Connemara/TB mare who was sired by Skyview's Orion. She's a very talented mare and has some great qualities, but she's also starting to develop multiple melanomas (not uncommon for a grey but it worries me). My vet was pointing out that she's gotten many of the best qualities of both breeds and was wondering if I had thought of breeding her, preferably to a stallion that is not grey. I hadn't really thought of breeding her before, but my mother has a boarding farm with acreage now and is breeding another mare. My mare is 15'2 and solidly built, and has a very big jump and gallop stride. I've been competing her at training level eventing and will probably move her up to Prelim this season, and she's also been doing well at the 3'6 jumpers and could probably easily do the 4 foot jumpers. She's always been barefoot and honestly has the best feet I've ever seen on a horse or pony. Her one conformational flaw is that she has one slightly crooked hind foot. It would be nice to breed her to a stallion that is a little more uphill and obviously throws a correct hind end, and my goal would be to get a baby that would be a good all around horse and could do lower level eventing (up to Prelim) and is a bit more talented at dressage than she is. She has decent suspension, but she can be hot and tense, so a stallion with a good brain is essential. We have four riders in our family, so we would be breeding for us, not for sale. Ideally we'd get a baby in the 15'2-16'2 range.

I've been looking at the stallions at Rainbow Equus, and we may go up and visit and see the stallions in the flesh. I really liked Escudo II, and I know many people here have gotten nice babies from him. Any thoughts, or other recommendations?

I have been very pleased with the foal I got out of my Conn/TB mare Lotty Go Bragh by Bridon Belfry RID.
    http://www.benmarfarm.com/
    My other broodmare Beeza is supposedly Conn/Trak (Falke) and has also produced very nice foals by RID stallions including my riding mare Sophie by Touch of the Blues RID.
    Here she is at her breed inspection
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...full-exif=true She is a hair under 16 hands. https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...52132904429762
    Foals by an RID stallion can be inspected as sport horses. The mare does not have to be inspected.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

LOVE my E II filly! She is super athletic and very easy. She makes me look smart - LOL. Loves to jump and looks to have everything I need for dressage. My mare is 15h and this filly should be around 15.2 when she's done. E II added more freedom through the shoulder, great uphill neck and movement and a wonderful uphill canter. He improved my mare where she needed it, I couldn't ask for anything more. I'm planning on repeating this breeding this coming year.

Here's my filly on Facebook, she's 2 coming 3.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

I have a 2010 filly by his full brother Escudo I out of my TB event mare that was bred to be an event horse.

He shortened up the top line of the mare and put a great hind end on the filly. Her dam's hind end is good too but I think the filly is even better.

Not a great photo...she's at that age...but her she is as a yearling and the trot photo is from her inspection at 4 months.

He did add substance so if you are breeding for an eventer, I'd not want the mare to have too much chunk I also do not think he added any height. My dam is 16.3 and the filly looks like she will finish around 16.1-16.2 ish.

Not sure what the differences are between the brothers. I'm sure they both have their pros and cons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edanatrot.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	34447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edanayear1.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	34448  
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

The E II babies I've seen are a very modern type with lovely movement. I hear they also have great temperaments.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Another one to consider is Pablito---I know several of these personally and all are very good jumpers/movers--on top of being very beautiful with super good brains.

I'd probably pick A Fine Romance for her personally, I have not heard of him throwing anything but good brains and decent movers. Or find a WB with more TB blood. Like above, some of his foals/young horses I have seen are definitely a bit chunky. I have also seen him in person. Knowing your mare he wouldn't be my choice to add what I think you want.

I have two EIIs and they are the sweetest smartest babies ever. I have a 3 yr old Elena that for fun jumps out and back in her pasture. Premium baby at her Oldenburg inspection and the baby Estrella was site champion at the Pioneer Valley inspection. Both are truly lovely girls. The 3 year old is 15.2 or maybe a bit taller Estrella will probably be a bit taller as her Mom is a Pablo model 16.3.

Elena
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

Estrella

The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart