The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have seen that too!

The strangest one I've seen, no pic of course (it was over 20 years ago), was a gelding we had, who, are you ready??, would cross his front legs when the shoer was trimming his back hoofies! Not once or twice but about every time he was trimmed. One leg over the other. He wasn't overbalanced or anything, just stood there.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Dec. 14, 2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

My Norton didn't pick up a virus thingy alert.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by jengersnap View Post
    Seen it on a rare occassion, its cute! I also like the ones who lift that back leg waaaay up and scratch their ears. Makes me very glad they all have breakaway halters on lol
    Rico does this... he's also very 'speshul', LOL. I don't think I've ever seen him stand on all 4 legs, even when being shoed. He's always sound as a tree trunk, but one of those back heels is always off the ground.

My goofy OTTB crossed his hind legs fairly routinely. The trick that alarmed more folks (especially BMs/BOs, til they got the explanation that 'it's just what he does) was how he would dunk his face into a water trough, up to the eyeballs, and blow bubbles (One BO frantically called and said omg, he's trying to drown himself!).

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    I clicked on the photo and my Norton advised me that it stopped some kind of virus.

Some odd "virus scan" ran and I stopped it. It was a fake virus scan that disguised some kind of worm.

Anyone that opened the Webshots photo may want to run a computer check.
    I just had this happen too! I tried it twice and had same results both times. I highly advise anyone on this thread that clicked on it to run a check.

ETA - I don't have Norton installed. I'm using McAffee (sp).
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

horsepoor is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    I just had this happen too! I tried it twice and had same results both times. I highly advise anyone on this thread that clicked on it to run a check.

ETA - I don't have Norton installed. I'm using McAffee (sp).
    Well, heck, I guess it wouldn't surprise me that this doofus horse would somehow pick up a virus/worm on his photo...but I kind of wonder if it has something to do with the webshots site, or settings within a particular antivirus program. Odd that only a couple of folks have ran into a message like that. Just in case, I'll go back and edit the OP to take off the link as I don't want to contribute to the spread of anything.

I've been thinking about moving over to Photobucket anyway, so maybe this is a good time to do so.

My TB does this with his front legs. He is dufus but sweet, I always tell him step up, or careful when I am leading him over rough ground or a step. He listens to me with a humored patience. He is a very mental horse, often stares off into the distance when chewing his meal. He just isn't "in his body"
    all the time, what is the word , it starts with a "p" - awareness of your body and where it is in space.
    He does have osselets and ringbone.

I had a big WB gelding that used to do this! He was somewhat toed out behind and a bit "speshul" so I just chalked it up to that.
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com
    www.xhaltsalute.com

Default How about as a parking brake?

This pony was standing on a somewhat steep creek bank as we hiked up to investigate a spring. While its little boy was doing laundry in the creek, the pony was dozing. It learned a way to reinforce the 'auto lock' equines have for their legs while they sleep. Heck, if you're built cowhocked, might as well use it to your advantage!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cowhocked parking brake.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	34449  
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

One of my horses will stand with his back legs crossed, he had me a bit worried the first time I saw it though! The other will stand with one hind foot resting ON TOP OF the other one!

Mr G caused much hilarity by standing with his backs fully crossed while waiting to go into the ring at a schooling show

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/DSC00775.jpg
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

I have a teenaged Appendix QH gelding who does the crossed legs when he stretches, with his front ones. He stretches out, puts one front foot over the other, and sometimes when he straightens back up, slides the hooked foot up as high as his knee before unhooking. I've noticed he tends to do that more when he is contented and happy.

Another vote for special. Here's my weirdo: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21327...43029495zWcscm
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Well my trainer's mare stands with her front legs crossed....freaked my out the first time I saw it!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

I had a horse that would also stand with his front legs crossed when just hanging out or on the cross ties.

He was definitely "speshul"
    Dreaming in Color

The mare I ride not only stands with her front legs crossed (only on crossties) but will also stretch into a full "downward dog" position, especially when she's in heat (for whatever reason). I call it her morning yoga. The "speshul" ones are the best ones...

Not back legs, but to cute not to share, Stewie the Moose is 2 weeks old here

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...thMarch4-1.jpg
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

horsepoor is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Not back legs, but to cute not to share, Stewie the Moose is 2 weeks old here

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...thMarch4-1.jpg
    Very cute! You being from Canada and all, I expected to see a real moose!

I used to have a big, goofy, 18.1 hand WB gelding in training that did all kinds of interesting things with his feet. If there was a bucket or box nearby, he would back up and put one or both feet in it, or cock his foot up on it. I thought it was an "accident" the first time, but after 50 or so times, I figured out it was deliberate. He would back up into or on things and hitch his legs up until he got somewhere.

This is the horse that I had in a paddock one day and I kept hearing this "twang, twang" sound. I finally went over to see what he was doing. He had stolen the pitch fork from the side of the paddock, was standing on the handle with two feet, and picking the tines with his teeth to make pretty sounds.