The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'd be checking the horse for EPM. Its not normal for horses to stand like that and one of the EPM tests is to cross the legs and see if the horse realizes its not "normal" and fixes it.

I had to measure a junior hunter that, unless it was being ridden, would stand with its front legs crossed - of course, making it smaller. It was a dilemma I had never seen in all my years, and with some planning and trickery with the horse, I got it measured correctly. But that was a new one to me and I have never seen something like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by AQHA4me View Post
    I'd be checking the horse for EPM. Its not normal for horses to stand like that and one of the EPM tests is to cross the legs and see if the horse realizes its not "normal" and fixes it.
    Also coming from a high EPM area, this strikes me as something you want to rule out. Perhaps he is just kind of goofy or being cute, but detection of early signs and subsequent treatment of EPM may leave you with your athlete for years to come.

It's possible it's habit, but it's more likely *something* else if this is new behavior. Relieving pressure or trying to stretch somewhere in his back, EPM, whatnot.

Your comment about injuring his face is what prompted me to post. EPM horses often will show the signs in the face before other areas (think long term strength) are affected. IMHO, having a neuro workup (in the field) done on him by a good vet experienced with neuro horses or EPM would be my first thing.

He's very, very cute, by the way!
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com