The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What show jump fillers do you like?

I'm gearing up to make some more fillers for my show jumping courses and would like some input from everyone.

I have lots of planks (playing cards, farm name, geometric, Easter colors) multiple gates in varying sizes and a couple of panels (a Picasso like panel and another with large, varying, multi-colored drips), a Liverpool, the odd assortment of flower boxes.

I am planning on two more panels (a coral reef and a Tony-the-Tiger as I have tiger standards) and a roll top (to replace the one that sacrificed itself to green horse hits) and a stone wall with arches.

What else would you like to see? The majority of my show attendees are BN and down, though I get Novice- Prelim as well.

Other ideas I've seen (but not necessarily liked) are dice cubes, fake styrofoam pumpkins or a fence of stuffed animals (lions, tigers and bears, oh my) the stuffed animal jump had striped rails that lined up, looked like bars of a cage.

Maybe I'm prejudiced but I have to admit, I'm a fan of more simple clean jumps. I love the courses that have used colorful rails mixed with small natural bushes underneath. the prettiest course I've ever jumped, had masses of flowers and shrubs all wrapped with burlap bottoms that were sold at the end of the day (but it was also mother's day so it was easy to sell.)

I hope you get all the ideas you need and get exactly the course you desire.

Well, I mostly show in hunters, but since I'm planning on doing some shows at your place next year - I like rolltops, coops, and brush boxes!

I hate fillers that are too heavy and awkward to lift for one person. I'm a fan of 2-piece fillers, fillers with handles, and light fillers.

I like vertical/uprights with feet - like on this website. You can also just make them out of 2x4, and fit with lattice or anything else you can think of.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

On a panel, the designs that seem to cause the most trouble for LL horses --based on watching what happens at the schooling jumper shows at my barn -- are anything bright and repeated on either a white or very dark background. We have a white panel with pumpkins painted on it and a lot of horses want to give it a good hard look. UNH has a dark green panel with big orange, yellow, and red fall leaves painted on it and that gets a lot of looks, too
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

We just built some simple brush boxes, two 4-5 foot sections, and they are really great. We just made them out of scrap lumber.

Baby rolltop as an option for your below BN people.

The arch wall things seem to get a lot of horses as well.

Fake rocks, easy to use but not cheap. I was at a barn the other day that had archery targets that were square foam blocks that looked like they would make neat filler for jumps. I have some corrugated driveway pipe that was cut in half lengthwise and holes drilled in it for flowers, simple, light and weatherproof. I'm going to try indoor outdoor carpet on the pipe to see if I can make a rolltop.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

My BO and I had fun making jumps a few years ago. We now have 6 panels, painted to be as spooky as possible : a huge sunburst, a stop sign and yield and other street signs, a brick wall, a stone wall, a vine, and a 'abstract' colorful thing in squares and rectangles. We have barrels to fill in oxers. We have a tube jump that is pretty neat, 2 hollow "tubes" that are the length of a standard rail, and about 20" (?) in diameter. You can stack them up and add rails on top for height.
    Another filler that I like but haven't tried at home since we have to store the jumps away for the winter (no indoor) is old Christmas trees.
    At the event barn where I sometimes board my horse for the winter, they use the usual stuff (panels, boxes, roll tops, lattice) but also old snowboards, swimming noodles etc. They're very creative!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

The Tony the Tiger standards would go with a tiger trap look between them, help prep the horses for that visual later on xc.

I think a line of chevrons would be helpful also. I don't know if you already have that.

I've seen a lot of lifesaver rings used at water jumps and those could be used in sj also. They'd go with the coral reef idea. You'd only need one dead center on a panel and decorate around it.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers