The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is one group more concerned for their horses' health vs. other groups?

I am asking this question based on the following statement by another poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Because an entire WEEK is passing in between your "addresses." In that week's time the horse could be exposed and infected.

Maybe I find this behavior rather disturbing because in the discipline I am involved with, riders are really really really cautious about their horses. You're drinking from shared water tanks, horses often share food with other horses. They're standing nose to tail in vet lines, shared stethescopes and heart monitors, sometimes shared blankets and rump rugs. But then I find endurance people to be about the most conscientious group out there when it comes to horse health. Very down to earth, sensible, kind, and fun people, but they don't generally screw around with matters of horse health.
    Do you think one discipline is more conscientious about their horses' health compared to all others? As a dressage rider and mom of an eventer, I have my own opinion.

This should get interesting! Around here, barrel racers are always made fun of because they don't take care of their horses.

Don't all groups, within reason of course, we'll leave out horse-trippers and the like...as a general rule...do the best they can for the horses they own/use? I watched a video of the young lady who set an arena record at the NFR this year: her mom is an equine massage therapist who travels with her, and manages her Dakota's care: everything he needs, he gets. And that's 'just a barrel horse' in someone else's eyes. I know Foxhunter's hate too much rain, you're getting into their ability to keep a horse legged up and strong and ready as the season goes on, etc etc etc ad nauseum. Even though I don't hypothetically agree with never turning a horse like Toto out, I understand he has a tendency to play too hard, and could hurt himself...so he gets walked multiple times a day and they do their best. Sometimes, that's the best the horse can get.

I don't understand a need to climb to the top of every molehill and declare a victory over others. I just don't. Not to pull a Rodney King, but why does one group have to prevail as The Best Blanketers, or what have you? Is something gained when that uncontested, nonexistent title is claimed?

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post

I don't understand a need to climb to the top of every molehill and declare a victory over others. I just don't. Not to pull a Rodney King, but why does one group have to prevail as The Best Blanketers, or what have you? Is something gained when that uncontested, nonexistent title is claimed?
    Hmmmmm, someone must have taken over her keyboard!

I think it is quite ignorant to claim that one group (in the above quote, endurance riders) is more conscientious about their horse's health than other disciplines.

You see good and bad in all disciplines and could make assinine and rather ridiculous arguments like auventuratwo's.

Davis, I must say you are persistent as foot fungus, and almost as pleasant.

Davis, I must say you are persistent as foot fungus, and almost as pleasant.
    See, that's the ....... that we all know. OK, things are back to normal!
    Last edited by davistina67; Dec. 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    I think it is quite ignorant to claim that one group (in the above quote, endurance riders) is more conscientious about their horse's health than other disciplines.

You see good and bad in all disciplines and could make assinine and rather ridiculous arguments like auventuratwo's.
    Therefore, you found it necessary to start an assanine and rather ridiculous thread about another poster?

Oh yes, now you are your old self! Love you

have you added anything of value to the board today?

LOL, which one of them does your HC?

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Therefore, you found it necessary to start an assanine and rather ridiculous thread about another poster?

Well no. It's a question for the forum. Why are you here if you think it's asinine? Do you have anything of value to add? Do you have an opinion on the topic?

have you added anything of value to the board today?
    Do you call in and tell your vet that your horse has sarcoids so that he can write YOU a script for Aldara?

I think this thread is just to question the assertion that one group cares more than another group, or all other groups. You would think vet techs and vets care, yet it's easy as 123 to find tech's starving dogs to death or killing their mistress. Does that mean we can extrapolate from there that all techs are heartless monsters or all vets are killers? Of course not- but some just really want to come out on top and win at everything, including the nonexistent I Heart My Horse More Than You Do, You PoopyHead award.

GAP you could just as easily ask that other poster why she put that assertion out there. We're just here asking:
    " Is that true?"

And I'm saying no, I don't think so.

Of course! "My group", of course, being the most conscientious, well-informed, and just plain Goodest.
    Click here before you buy.

I must admit in all honesty, it is a stupid question!

Well, you would think so, but you said that from where you are, barrel racers don't take care of their horses. Auventuratwo claims that endurance riders care the most because of various reasons. So, is it such a stupid question?!

I think this question has no answer because there really is no such thing as a group in the manner you are describing. No two people are exactly alike so therefore no group of people are alike enough to realistically compare to other groups of people. Or in other words, no!

How primitive we humans are! Different = bad. Kept us alive for 20,000+ years, I guess, and old habits die hard.
    Click here before you buy.