The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default GP Horse Dies During Show. Show Management Sends Body to Processor. Rider Shocked!

What?? How would you like your horse to die under you while riding at a show, then find out show management sent your horse's body to the meat processor without your knowledge or permission?

http://equestrian.cyberhorse.com.au/...news&Itemid=37
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

What a clusterf.

I'd be livid beyond belief.

Crikes! No autopsy? No authorization from the owner?
    A fake groom?!
    Someone better be getting sued!

BUT I'm sorry, but in the time it takes to drink a coffee I find it HIGHLY unlikely they were able to conjure up a meat packer to haul there, load up and drive off. There's a chunk of this story missing.... big time.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I would find it hard to believe that anyone could get away with something that atrocious. If it is in fact true then the show management should be sent to the meat processors too.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I would find it hard to believe that anyone could get away with something that atrocious. If it is in fact true then the show management should be sent to the meat processors too.
    Er...while it was unfortunate, the horse was dead already. It isn't like they abused the living animal. I'd say that sending show mgmt off to the meat processors is a bit of an over-reaction.

The onlooker who supposedly "authorized" it is the one who he should be angry with.

@saddlefitter:

Go have a beer and chill out. Don't take every bit of sarcasm on here seriously

hopefully the Australian justice system will prevail somehow, even in the case of a civil suit. What a devastating loss to Australian dressage, Blas Lago, and all Hec's team. There could have been valuable scientific/veterinary information/data collected from his necropsy that may have potentially helped other horses in the future as well, which is now lost. What a mess.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

This sounds like the plot of a murder mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol O View Post
    This sounds like the plot of a murder mystery.
    My cynical, jaded self first thought 'insurance scam'. Then felt really guilty that was the first thing that popped into my head.

Very sad for the horse and the humans that loved him. Where was the FEI Vet in all of this?!

While the story is correct the show management was not to blame. Blas was taken away from the body to a place to have coffee. The person left in charge of the horse gave the authority for the horse to be picked up by the knackery.

Blas left Hector under the impression that he was going to be buried on the showgrounds but when management advised this was not possible the P.I.C gave the authority for the knackers truck.

This is a deeply distressing story but is between Blas and the person that he left in charge of the body.

The knackery was only a short drive from the showgrounds so by the time Blas learned that the horse had gone there it was too late to intervene.

Where was the FEI vet and why wasn't the horse handled under FEI protocols? Those are two questions that need to be answered.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

They sure do Mike.

The show grounds ambulance had a faulty winch and could not be used. (rumour has it that its been out of order for years but I cannot confirm that fact) Had it been available the body could have been removed to a less public area. The show grounds are huge so there is plenty of places the body could have been placed out of public eye until the correct procedures had been put in place.

It appears there was a major miscommunication and lack of knowledge of FEI protocol on the part of several people in the haste to remove Hector from the warm up area.

No doubt there will be an investigation by Equestrian Australia.

Finally an apology from the event organiser.

Rest In Peace Northern Hector

Wednesday, 14 December 2011
    On behalf of the 2011 Saddleworld Dressage Festival I would like to express our sadness and regret over the passing of Blas Lago’s lovely Northern Hector on Wednesday 7th December at Werribee Park. Unfortunately due to a misunderstanding Northern Hector’s body was not treated as Blas would have wished and I apologise whole heartedly for this. Nothing that is said or done now will bring any more honour and respect to Northern Hector or Blas Lago and he has agreed with the release of this statement. Blas and Hector had a wonderful partnership, and their achievements always showed good sportsmanship.

Everyone is sad and mourns the passing of Northern Hector. Our thoughts are with Blas at this difficult time and we hope that Blas finds another "best friend" very soon. Rest in peace.

Caroline Coleby

Angry

Alot of Questions yet to be answered though

wow.. what a mess.... i feel bad for the owner...

Quote Originally Posted by Eireamon View Post
    Alot of Questions yet to be answered though
    To me, the biggest ones are:
    -where were the FEI personnel if this was an FEI-level show?
    -will the FEI do a review / audit of procedures and rules and perhaps re-train show staff on what to do in situations like this?

I totally get how emotions can overwhelm rational thought at times like this. That is one of the reasons why drilling show mgmt personnel on the rules is so important ... your brain can then just follow the ingrained rules while your heart is running around in circles.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Sounds like show management went into a blind panic because the horse was in the warm-up arena. The horse had already passed so felt nothing, but the poor rider! Talk about adding insult to injury!! What a mess.

So sorry this happened, condolences to all.

I had my horse die at a show: broken leg(eventing), needed to be immediately put down. Management wanted to move him so others wouldn't be upset first. I had to really fight to have it done immediately and right there. They wanted to load him and move him with a swinging leg, ah NO! Took me 10 minutes of fighting and me ordering the vet (reminding them it was MY horse) to do it NOW. My horse, my responsibility, my choice; go hang the other exhibitors at that point. I don't understand the need to quickly hide or protect others at a show from the reality of living with horses...

Anyway, I think that if something this horrible happens to anyone - YOU are your horses only advocate, YOU need to make sure what happens is your choice. If you hand that choice to someone else, you need to let it be. Basically, you suck it up get through it and have your breakdown later.

If this was a GP level horse I would assume it was insured. So will the insurance company pay for a body on which they can NOT do an autopsy?

What a crappy experience.
    Sandy in Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyot View Post
    So sorry this happened, condolences to all.

Anyway, I think that if something this horrible happens to anyone - YOU are your horses only advocate, YOU need to make sure what happens is your choice. If you hand that choice to someone else, you need to let it be. Basically, you suck it up get through it and have your breakdown later.
    good advise. you never know if this kind of thing would be a reality. but, if it ever does happen to me (it never will, of course ) I will have learned something here with this post today, thanks

I will put up quite the fight... im small, but, im wirey....