The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chris Ruysen (clinician)?

A barn in our area is having a clinic with Chris Ruysen. Has anyone ever ridden in a clinic with him? If so, what is your feedback.

So has anyone even heard of him?

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have not. Where is he from?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

He googles a little.. He's British from what I can tell. I looked him up when I got the clinic info as well since I had never heard of him. I couldn't find a ton of info.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

" Chris is an International Level 3 trainer and rider. His attributes are limitless, he has assisted Jos Krumpf (trainer of Rodrigo Pessoa), Prince Saoud Al Shalaan, Jan Tops, and Ulrich Kirchhoff!! He has competed in numerous international level events and qualified young horses and riders for the world championships."

That's the most info I could find. I assume "level 3" is a British distinction.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

I googled him as well and did not find much. Oh well, Foxton is awfully cold in January anyway!

Trainer level 3 is the highest international trainer level , it is a EU certification
    Chris Ruysen is from Belgium and has quite a background as a trainer and a rider for many years , I have worked with him and would recommend to attend that clinic , he is extremely good with young horses and problem horses

LEVEL 3 corresponds to what we call in the US LEVEL 5

I have never met Chris Ruysen, but if he lists Jos Kumps as his first influence, he has GOT to be investigated. That is the best training pedigree in Europe (IMHO). Jos rides like a centaur and is the power behind the Pessoa throne. I think you midwesterners are in for a rare treat and I hope you come up with some interesting horses for him.

Anyone else have personal experience or knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Quartergirl View Post
    A barn in our area is having a clinic with Chris Ruysen. Has anyone ever ridden in a clinic with him? If so, what is your feedback.
    I have personally ridden with Chris a few weeks ago when he visited the US and I absolutely loved his teaching style. I felt that both myself and the horses that I rode with him all made significant improvements that I have since been able to build on in other training sessions.

He uses a lot of very interesting gymnastic exercises with poles and some with fences that will really highlight any areas of weakness in the horse's balance or attention to the rider and then help you to improve them. He also really got me thinking much further ahead and being much more accurate in my riding. I also really liked the fact that Chris isn't the type of trainer who just sets up fences for the sake of Jumping them. He emphasized the fact that when the horse is able to to the gymnastic exercises over poles whilst being relaxed an in good balance, then the jumps become easy. You do not need to jump horses all the time, in in order to improve their jumping. A fact that I have always felt strongly about.

I would recommend riding with Chris to anyone who is interested in improving their riding and their horse's way of going both on the flat and/or over fences.

I will not ramble any longer but for anyone who may be interested, we are working on a date for Chris to come back for a clinic at our farm, in the not too distant future so I will keep you posted on dates.

2 members found this post helpful.

Smile Clinic @Fairland Farms

for all riders who really want to learn something new : mark your calendars for June 30-July 1 - Chris Ruysen clinic at Fairland Farms

chris will be back in the area last week of october , mark your calendars

Default Chris Ruysen fabulous clinicia

I have had the privilege of knowing Chris since I was 14 years old. I road with him for many years in Europe and now that he is coming to the states I ride with him any chance I get. He strengthens your fundamentals in so many ways. He really looks at horse and rider as a team to find the way to make you successful. He is very kind but tough and makes you work the entire time. He incorporates the importance of flat work into your jumping excerzises. I can go on forever. He also has a gift with young and problem horses and can turn them around in just a few sessions. I say anyone who gets a chance should either take lesson or audit a clinic he is giving it is well worth it!

Oh ya he will be in Florida in Febuary and again in March so call 941-359-8245 if you are interested in having a clinic or joining in lessons.
    March Clinic will be in Tampa during TEF for the Just World International week, I believe the 2nd and 3rd!

Chris is from belgium

the JustWorld clinic will be in April , 2 and 3 during the second week of TEF , look for sign up and come to join the fun

and visit chris ruysen showjumping on facebook for more clinic information in Florida and other states ( he will be in Chicago , Indiana , Texas , Virginia and Pennsylvania first half of 2013

Daughter did a clinic with him, he is good. Easy to understand and works a lot with young horses. We had another clinic scheduled with him but it was cancelled. I am still awaiting the barn to return my moola! Not Chris' fault though! We would do it again.