The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It makes perfect sense to me

Facts

I have horrible teeth
    I hate dentists
    Dentists cost money

therefore

I continue to have bad teeth

DH comes in this morning and asks why I'm frantically digging through the snowdrift that is technically my filing system. Answer, "I'm looking for the dentists number"

He is strangely delighted by this, until I pointed out it was the equine dentist I was searching for, because Ace needs a float.

Well for some reason that started an argument

I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Sometimes I take better care of my animals than I do myself, but...long term...that doesn't really make sense. They're counting on me so I need to keep it together for the long haul. Can I be a mom and give advice, find a dentist (human) that will not hurt or scare you. They are out there.

My vet was teasing me about this the other day. I will pay $150 every 4 weeks for my gelding to have new shoes but I am wearing muck boots that both have holes in them.

I will spend $200 on a blanket for my horse when he has about 20 of them already but I complain about getting my hair cut once a year at $13

It all make perfect sense to me
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Not getting proper dental care can lead to gum disease, and that can kill you. The late Lewis Grizzard (columnist from the Atlanta newspaper) had an artificial heart valve, and a dental phobia. He wouldn't go until he had a very severe problem, and my understanding is that the resulting systemic infections ruined the valves repeatedly, causing another valve replacement operation and resulting in his death eventually from infections and a weakened system.

There are human dentists that use nitrous oxide or other sedation, and also dentists that treat pain phobic people, so go to the dentist before something happens that ruins your health permanently. You should take good care of your horses, and yourself.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Haffy, I was in your exact same position a couple years ago so I completely understand. Especially about the money and especially about the fear of dentists.

One day I finally sucked it up and called a dentist that had ads running on my local radio, a dentist that specialized in patients that haven't received dental care in years. I almost bailed on the appointment, I was so ashamed of the condition of my teeth but I swallowed my pride and went anyway. As the dentist conducted the initial exam I cried- yes I cried big sobbing tears- as he gently, politely explained all the problems my teeth were causing and the ill effects this could have on my health later on down the road. I was ashamed, I was embarrassed and feeling extremely vulnerable.

I cried as I apologized, I cried as I tried to rationalize my neglecting to get dental care, and cried as I told him about my irrational fear of dentists. I had several broken teeth that had abscessed from an abusive ex-boyfriend, ruptured wisdom teeth plus cavities that needed attending to.

He gave me my options, one of them being put under general anesthesia for him to do all the extractions, fillings, crowns and root canal all in one shot which was the most agreeable to me. Then the big issue was price. Insurance would cover some but not nearly the entire cost and not the anesthesia. The office gave me a very reasonable, affordable finance plan and I decided to go for it.

After a week of antibiotics while I waited for my scheduled surgery I was dreading the big day. Once again I hiked up my big girl pants and arranged transportation with a trusted friend, and hauled my butt in to get it done.

It went SO much easier than I ever imagined it would. I was on the table and down for the count before I even realized it and when I woke up (even in my drugged stupor) I just KNEW I'd made the right decision. They even made me partials that I got that day, and I literally hobbled out of the office with a new smile.

I was amazed at what getting my teeth attended to did for me. I feel better about myself, oh what an improvement to my self-esteem! No pain or sensitivity when I eat now. My breath is so much better, my mouth overall feels wonderful and in general I just FEEL healthier!

I never wear my partial as I just couldn't get used to it, and feel comfortable without it since my front teeth were in pretty good shape and are all still in place. For me it's not so much about appearance (although it is nice to be able so give a full smile again, and I do it so much more now!). It's about comfort and very much about my health.

I'm sorry if I sound preachy or am coming off as a bit of a Debbie Downer. I just wanted to share my own experience as someone who's been there. Maybe, just maybe it will help you reconsider getting dental care. It really can change your life for the better in ways you don't realize.

There are great dentists out there that specialize in this kind of treatment. Ones that won't judge, that won't chastise and will really go the extra mile to make you comfortable throughout the entire process.

I know it's a long shot that you are in my area, but the dentist I used (and have been using since my surgery) is Dr. Scott Sayer from Cincinnati, Ohio. Can't say enough good about him and everyone in his office. Professional, courteous, understanding and an all-around pleasure to visit.

It might be good to go to the dentist and get Xrays just to know what you are dealing with. The quality of dental Xrays is so much better than it was even 5 years ago.

I know I have to haul ass and go and get mine done, but that will have to wait until new year, Ace can't wait, she is my beloved older Arab who presented me with a foal in September, she needs to be able to extract every ounce of nutrition from her food.

Me however, well I could loose a few pounds quite happily.

At the top side of 50, and with the state of my teeth now I'm seriously considering just getting the top lot taken out, but can't quite bring myself to make the call, I suppose common sense says get an assessment done and price up some options.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

When you bite the bullet and get it done you'll feel like a new woman! I guarantee it!

I hate going to the dentist too, but hubby was bugging me to go while he was working for a company that had benefits, so I finally went. What helped me get through it was that they used the same sort of mouth prop the vet uses for horses so I didn't have to pay attention while they worked and could day dream without worrying about biting the dentist. Using the mouth prop I had zero jaw pain afterwards which was a first.

I had a cleaning and a root canal so far. Waiting for next year to get two crowns.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Haffy, I was in your exact same position a couple years ago so I completely understand. Especially about the money and especially about the fear of dentists.

One day I finally sucked it up and called a dentist that had ads running on my local radio, a dentist that specialized in patients that haven't received dental care in years. I almost bailed on the appointment, I was so ashamed of the condition of my teeth but I swallowed my pride and went anyway. As the dentist conducted the initial exam I cried- yes I cried big sobbing tears- as he gently, politely explained all the problems my teeth were causing and the ill effects this could have on my health later on down the road. I was ashamed, I was embarrassed and feeling extremely vulnerable.

I cried as I apologized, I cried as I tried to rationalize my neglecting to get dental care, and cried as I told him about my irrational fear of dentists. I had several broken teeth that had abscessed from an abusive ex-boyfriend, ruptured wisdom teeth plus cavities that needed attending to.

He gave me my options, one of them being put under general anesthesia for him to do all the extractions, fillings, crowns and root canal all in one shot which was the most agreeable to me. Then the big issue was price. Insurance would cover some but not nearly the entire cost and not the anesthesia. The office gave me a very reasonable, affordable finance plan and I decided to go for it.

After a week of antibiotics while I waited for my scheduled surgery I was dreading the big day. Once again I hiked up my big girl pants and arranged transportation with a trusted friend, and hauled my butt in to get it done.

It went SO much easier than I ever imagined it would. I was on the table and down for the count before I even realized it and when I woke up (even in my drugged stupor) I just KNEW I'd made the right decision. They even made me partials that I got that day, and I literally hobbled out of the office with a new smile.

I was amazed at what getting my teeth attended to did for me. I feel better about myself, oh what an improvement to my self-esteem! No pain or sensitivity when I eat now. My breath is so much better, my mouth overall feels wonderful and in general I just FEEL healthier!

I never wear my partial as I just couldn't get used to it, and feel comfortable without it since my front teeth were in pretty good shape and are all still in place. For me it's not so much about appearance (although it is nice to be able so give a full smile again, and I do it so much more now!). It's about comfort and very much about my health.

I'm sorry if I sound preachy or am coming off as a bit of a Debbie Downer. I just wanted to share my own experience as someone who's been there. Maybe, just maybe it will help you reconsider getting dental care. It really can change your life for the better in ways you don't realize.

There are great dentists out there that specialize in this kind of treatment. Ones that won't judge, that won't chastise and will really go the extra mile to make you comfortable throughout the entire process.

I know it's a long shot that you are in my area, but the dentist I used (and have been using since my surgery) is Dr. Scott Sayer from Cincinnati, Ohio. Can't say enough good about him and everyone in his office. Professional, courteous, understanding and an all-around pleasure to visit.
    I'm in your area!! Thanks for the referal