The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TB mare- whom to breed to for eventer baby?

I have a TB mare that I just love.- she is athletic, smart, sensitive, and a very good citizen. Considering breeding her to produce an eventer baby- I would keep the baby for me. I was thinking of a Hanoverian but what about the draft breeds? What are the best draft breeds to cross with a TB for an eventer (or is that a just silly?) Here is the pedigree of my mare. Ideally I think a 3/4 TB 1/4 draft might be ideal- but that would assume getting a filly and then breeding her to a TB. Unless there are any 1/2 TB 1/2 draft stallions out there.
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

You should probably specify what sort of potential foal you're aiming for. Upper level freak of nature? Prelim tops, but ammy friendly?

I can't imagine why you would want to go with a draft in any event, other than perhaps Irish Draught. Not saying they're bad horses by any means, and many crosses have been successful at the lower levels, but it's definitely more of a gamble as far was what you might end up with.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Probably just for lower levels. I would want a nice all around horse like my TB- she does jumping, trail rides, parades, cattle work, drill team etc. For the baby, I am interested in good feet, nice movement, sensible, athletic, and a nice wide barrel to take up my long legs. Definitely prefer a horse that wants to go vs one you have to kick along.

How big is your mare and whar size are you looking for?
    How bout breeding to a Cob? Or even Connemara? I absolutely love ArdCeltic Art!!!
    If you go Hanoverian, I'd go with any of the Pik lines ( I was on a Han breeding farm growing up and we had a Pik Bube son that bred wonderful foals. Athletic yet trainable with good minds and good confo. Very Amateur friendly.
    There's lots out there! Your Mare is going to throw in most of the genes but pick a stud with good lines on the dam side (that's what I look at anyway most of the time.)
    Potentially if you sell the foal later on you want it to be marketable as well.
    Have fun!

Angel can be excitable but she sensible and is calm enough to go on trail rides, horse camping, sort cattle, and be in parades. She does have lots of go and is fast (though not fast enough to be a successful race horse). She's 16.2. and more on the fine boned side. Her height is fine though I could go a bit taller- don't really want huge. I would like something stouter (wider barrel, as I have very long legs), bigger boned, and better feet. I guess a draft x might end up too big? And too "dull?" I really love the TB mind, work ethic, sensitivity, and speed. When I made the post, I had the opportunity to ride a Shire for the first time which made me wonder what a Shire (or other draft) TB cross would be like. But on the second thought it might not be what I really want.

Unless an Irish I would pass on Drafts...JMO
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

I would look to a pure Irish Draught (RID), especially if you are looking at low-mid level. They are often athletic with a great mind and a good sense to get you out of bad spots. They are also known for good feet and constitution. There are some nice RIDSH if you want to keep to 3/4 TB.

I've done a couple of breedings with Bridon Belfrey and if you want a sweet, super willing disposition, he sure throws that plus gives you movement for good dressage scores.

He throws a little on the heavier side, but Dandelion Diamond Rebel also gives good movement with great dispositions - mine that I bred is 3 and has won multiple FEH classes at 2 & 3, USDF classes (against WB too) and has started dressage with great placings at Intro. DDR is a Masters horse and events in the summer.

Bridon Beale Street RID is doing 1* and his youngsters are also doing well in the FEH and starting U/S. His sire has produced some great event horses like Free and Clear. Also, Jaunty Star RID is doing 1*

Braveheart events and hunts in TX and has never been shod- great feet and temperament.

All the RID and RIDSH stallions are listed at www.irishdraught.com
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

In the Sporthorse Breeding Forum FAQs, #19, there is a collection of multiple threads regarding eventing breeding and eventing stallions. Many of those are more geared towards upper-level breeding, but you might find some useful information in those threads, and just about every possible "event" stallion is mentioned at least once. To echo what others have said here, however, for what you are looking for a good RID sire would probably fit your bill.
    Last edited by Peregrine Farm; Dec. 13, 2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Fixed cross reference

You would need to compare the pedigrees but the first horse that comes to mind is A Fine Romance. You couldn't get a better mind.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Percheron x TB is a very, very popular cross in foxhunting. There are heavy and lighter Percherons, so the product is often times a lovely weight.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Looking for many of the things that you were, I ended up breeding to a Hanoverian named Welfenkonig II. I cannot say much about how his progeny will end up, because the oldest is 3 or so. Mine is about 6 months....so all I can say is she's cute as a button, lovely mover (as described by people that see her, not me), very well mannered (farrier says she's the nicest weanling he works with) and so far nice and stout.

I went to see Welfenkonig II and this is why I bred to him:

-did the state stud stallion test and got excellent marks, before being imported to the US (yes, his new owner got him into the state stud test, she knew people and state stud people were upset when they found out he was leaving the country).

-When I went to see him it was breeding season and with mares next to the arena he was still very attentive to his owner/handler (something my filly is also).

-he's bigger boned than my mare and seems to have passed that on. Unlike a draft, there is less risk here of big body on tiny feet or little body on fat legs.

-There were some yearlings there I got to see (with my trainer and another friend) and they all looked lovely).

-He jumped at least 3'6" (we stopped putting the rails up becasue they were getting near the height of the arena and we didn't want him getting the idea that he can jump out of the arena), and loved it.

-He is in a dressage home and his movement was lovely.

He is young, so he doesn't have much stock on the ground, nor does he have much of a record - so in a sense, you are taking a risk there, but it was a calculated risk for me since I am breeding for myself and while I have Olympic dreams, if the horse can only do Novice, it won't be the end of the world for me.

I don't have any pictures online of my filly and cannot speak for height since my mare is about 15.2HH. Welfenkonig II is about 16.2HH.

Here is his website:
    http://triadfarminc.com/id7.html

Here is a video I found on youtube of another colt of his:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4tyV5uT9_E

My sister had a perch/xx cross-he was gorgeous but massive-ultimately did not stay sound--and could push down solid board fences so you would want no more than 1/4 heavy blood I suspect. I have seen Black Fox farm stallion get at local shows and they seem lovely and sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Farm View Post
    In the Sporthorse Breeding Forum FAQs, #18, there is a collection of multiple threads regarding eventing breeding and eventing stallions. Many of those are more geared towards upper-level breeding, but you might find some useful information in those threads, and just about every possible "event" stallion is mentioned at least once. To echo what others have said here, however, for what you are looking for a good RID sire would probably fit your bill.
    Peregrine Farm, It's actually post #19 and thank you so much for putting these eventing breeding faqs together!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=324671

Bravo's first foals will start their eventing careers as well this year. Here's a couple babies out of full TB mares. Bravo is probably too light for what your looking for though. He's not a heavy stallion. More of a medium build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Giaky_Ej0tU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqg7rfZf3u4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrY_O...eature=related
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

While there are many successful, wonderful TB x draft crosses eventing out there, it's not a cross I recommend. If you get a good one - AWESOME. If not ........ and I know that's true for all breeding, but I'm betting the odds based on what I see at 30 or so events every year.

I'm also not a fan of generic WB x TB crosses (we're doing the cross actively, selectively, but as in paragraph 1 it needs to be done with care and a grain of salt). Many of the registries do not throw the courage or "forward" needed to event. If they won't go in front of your leg - walk away; hard to do when you've just put 5 years into a breeding. Specific stallions in all registries can be OK, but the only registry I'd recommend for eventing as a blanket statement are Trakehners. And a bit of fire and brimstone usually comes with your fries.

For lower level, amateur rider owner (but applies to UL also), go for proven intelligence and good minds over everything else. For my personal horse, I want my baby to see me as his favorite creature. Lots of UL sires are throwing professional rides. Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    I have a TB mare that I just love.- she is athletic, smart, sensitive, and a very good citizen. Considering breeding her to produce an eventer baby- I would keep the baby for me. I was thinking of a Hanoverian but what about the draft breeds? What are the best draft breeds to cross with a TB for an eventer (or is that a just silly?) Here is the pedigree of my mare. Ideally I think a 3/4 TB 1/4 draft might be ideal- but that would assume getting a filly and then breeding her to a TB. Unless there are any 1/2 TB 1/2 draft stallions out there.
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y
    Isn't an ISH a 1/2 ISD + 1/2 TB?
    I'm not an irish fan myself but Flagmount's Freedom one seems to have a good reputation and lots of kids eventing and doing well.
    (links below)

So a cross with an Irish Sport Horse would give you 3/4 TB and 1/4 Irish.

http://leaningoaksfarm.com/leaning_oaks_farm_003.htm

Ya can't deny this list of kids. Just type in Flagmount in the search box to see them all.
    http://useventing.com/competitions.p...n=search&id=82
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

this is the horse I think I might use for my broody's next hubby.

He's an all arounder. Mostly used for hunters but has an all arounder pedigree.
    He's pretty, his kids are said to be VERY ammy friendly.

In the free jumping video...there is lots of liberty trot that shows off his great movement.

He's got Voltaire on the top.
    Galoubet and Turn-to (TB that makes nice hunters) on the bottom.

I like this horse a lot. He's my kind of ride.

http://rocusa.net/
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Having bred quite a few different types, if you want a competitive horse at the low levels even, you need something that has the movement. Hard to get that from a draft, i would go to a quiet warm blood, there are so many out there that have alot of tb in them get one that is not too heavy. Just make sure you use one that has a high rating on their rideablity, and has proven progeny that are competing at the level you want to ride at.

I bred my TB mare to ArdCeltic Art, a 15hh Connemara. Baby is 7.5 months old and looking good! Art is ISR/OldNA approved, so you can do registration that way. My filly was inspected and registered Premium, so Art does a good job with movement and conformation.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Isn't an ISH a 1/2 ISD + 1/2 TB?
    I'm not an irish fan myself but Flagmount's Freedom one seems to have a good reputation and lots of kids eventing and doing well.
    FF does look nice

An ISH is a horse bred in Ireland and may or may Not have Irish draught blood

An IDSH is a North America term for a horse with Irish Draught blood - the other portion is often TB but does not have to be. I have WB IDSH and TB IDSH, there are also several quarter horse, ASB, draft, Tennessee Walker and hackney crosses I've seen
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook