The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A Crazy Breeding Dream - Literally

I had a crazy dream last night. Two crazy dreams, actually, but only one of them involved horses.

Scene: The family Christmas party.

I opened my present from Dad and Stepmom and discovered a syringe of semen, like the ones they use for the fresh chilled, only this was frozen. It was labeled: Nimmerdor, collected 1998.

I was thrilled to get this gift of a great but dead stallion, but I could not understand how on earth my Dad and Stepmom had wound up with this. I'm the sole horsey member of the family. Stepmom wouldn't know a good stallion from a donkey, and Dad not only wouldn't know either but would think a mix-up was a good joke once he was informed. Neither of them would have any idea how to contact a semen dealer. So I asked how they acquired this.

They were, of course, browsing an antique shop/flea market. Dad loves antique shop/flea markets and does indeed like to stop in every one he meets. They found this there, had no idea who the stallion was, but the owner said it was "a good breeding horse," so they bought it. $5.95 plus tax. They hoped I could use this in my fledgling breeding business.

I was delighted - an actual nice horsey gift from the man who has had such notorious epic fails as giving me a mechanical basketball game for my 21st birthday. I have never expressed the slightest interest in basketball. That wasn't a gag gift; that was THE gift from him. For my 21st birthday. Sigh.

But semen from great studs, now that's a horse of a different color. My only worry was that it was obviously frozen semen, the horse being dead, and I asked carefully if it had been kept frozen always. Oh, yes, absolutely. The antique shop had had it in their fridge, and Dad and Stepmom had kept it in the top of their fridge. It was frozen alright, just out of the fridge 10 minutes earlier for quick wrapping, and they'd loan me an ice pack on the way home.

We were packing it up in an Igloo for my drive home when I woke up. Rats. I would have loved to have seen what the vet made of this. On the other hand, it being a dream, maybe it would have still been good.

Oh, that was a good dream.

LOL, reminds me of my first foray into the world of shipped semen. I got my first shipment, baggie of semen, wrapped in newspaper surrounded by (mostly melted) ice cubes in a styrofoam cooler.

No it didn't work.

That was 30 some years ago and I still remember going
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

A dream only a breeder could have!