The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tall Boots - Go Custom or No?

Hey Y'all

I am starting that awful search of finding new tall boots when the ones you own are still much loved. My current boots are ariat challengers (the old style) size 10, tall, slim. They fit wonderfully in the foot and calf but are simply too short to show in. Here they are so you can see how short they are: http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/t.../TallBoots.jpg They're not wayway too short but still not as tall as need be. Btw I was just walking out of the ring there so they look even shorter when my heel is down

I want to get boots that will be for shows only that fit well and will last. I would prefer not to go custom since it takes so long to get the boots and the $$ but will go that way if necessary. What non-custom tall boots do you all think would fit what I need? Maybe treadsteps? or another style of ariat?

If I need to go custom to get the correct height and fit, what company should I go with? La mundials, sergio grassos, der duas, vogels? So many decisions!! Help!

Thanks in advance!

If you're not a hard fit, I would go with a quality pair off the shelf or semi customs. I have started the search for tall boots for my tween daughter and there are a lot of good choices with excellent size charts in the Dover catalogue.

Having said that, my boots are semi custom Sergio Grassos and I love them.

I think your choice depends on your build, your budget and your time frame.

Good luck!

As a tall, slim rider? You should not have much of a problem going non-custom. I didn't think your boots were that short, and it looked like the fit you are going to get with any flat topped boot.

I think you want the longer look of the spanish cut top, so I would check out the Ariat Crowne Pros. I have the older ones (not the Quantum) and they are nice boots. I know a lot of people have had problems with Ariat zippers, I did with my Challengers, but my Crowne Pros have held up for going on three years now. And they are no longer my show boots, so that's about a year of being worn almost everyday.

Ditto what Rel6 said.

I have the Challenges in size 10 tall for my every day boots and I feel like they are too short for me, but whatever...since I just school in them and they fit everywhere else.

I bought a pair of the Ariat Quantum Pros in the same exact size - they are MUCH taller looking on the side and in the front with the Spanish cut top.

I absolutely love my semi custom Sergio Grassos. One of the best purchases I have ever made!

Ariat makes a tall version of most of their boots. I am short to normal height, but ordered the cobalt version (forget name- around $4-500 version) in talls. They dropped to a perfect height. (I had to put in heel pads for the first few rides so they wouldnt rub the back of my knee as they dropped).

I'm assuming most brands will have tall options available- possibly not in store stock, but can be ordered. I also agree, go with the spanish cut that is higher on the outside.

(I've had mine for about 4 years, and the zipper just went. I'd still get zippers again)
    Rule 1- Keep the horse between you and the ground.

I'll share my deep dark secret. Get a nice pair off the rack that are tall enough and then take them to a Non-horsey cobbler. You will have to explain what you want in detail, but usually you can have a custom calf for under $40. I've had zippers put in, gullets, etc. My cobbler back home was amazing. He patched the ankle on my beloved super comfy boots for $20. You just have to go outside of the industry

1 members found this post helpful.

I just bought a pair of Ariats to use in winter since my Vogel's are too tight to wear thick socks. I was amazed at the quality/fit/price of off the shelf boots. They have come a long way. I doubt I will ever go custom again as long as I can find something that fits me (and I did pretty easily) and I am slim, short, have very narrow feet and ankles.

Ariat makes a tall calf of almost all their boots, I believe. I had to get a rather odd combination (6 tall slims) and I found those used (once or twice, if that, they weren't even broken in!) off the rack. They're on the flatter side on top (kinda in between spanish and flat I guess) and they do come up further than the ones in the picture of your boots, so I see what you're saying about them being a little short.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

sorry OP. I understand your pain.
    especially when no one seems to get the details of your post!!

to all: the pic ARE of Ariat Talls.

Ariat Talls are the tallest I have found.
    There are some companies out there that make semi customs. That's a great way to go!

I have a huge foot--followed by chicken legs. : )

I went with custom Willson & Davidsons.
    http://www.willsondavidson.com/theBoots.html

fully custom with spanish top and little silver tab cost me 1K Jan 2011. It was like $1000.88 or semething like that.

The rep measured me.

the boots are really purdy...
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...oom/boots3.jpg
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...oom/boots1.jpg

they may not look that tall cause I'm a freakazoid tree but they are 23.5 inches high. lol.

Ariat talls are 19" for comparison.
    I'm wearing my small/tall 1/2 chaps here:
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...oom/harry3.jpg
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I suggest you try on every type of tall boot readily available to you at your local tackstorebefore you decide to go custom. Maybe you could save yourself the money. I was about to go custom because my ankles are small but my calf isn't too small because it's muscular, I tired on a pair of Ariat Monacos and they fit like a glove. If the calf is too big in a regular go slim. But seriously try on everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING before you go custom. If it's really necessary there is a spanish brand "el mundial" or something like that, they make really nice custom boots for a fraction of the cost. The next step up from that would be to have some custom Der Dau's made!
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears George Morris pajamas.
    This pretty much sums up everything!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

on the other hand, if you do end up going custom, and you take good care of them and only use them at shows/clinics, they can last forever. My dehners are going on 20 years and still look like new. I also lucked into maybe the best measurements ever, so I am doing my level best to not grow out of them or ruin them in any way!

They live in a padded boot bag, get wiped off after every use, polished regularly and a couple years ago I found some of the boot black spray (spray die for black boots) and re-blacked them, getting rid of all the toe scuffs and some minor surface scratches.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

As long as the boots "look the part" and are comfortable, it doesn't matter if they are custom or not.

I've seen plenty of off-the-rack that look as good as my custom Vogels.

You will get a better fit with boots that have a full zipper - try to skip the silver bling on some boots.

Then, just need to be kept super clean and well polished for the ring.

Try a local consignment shop. They may have a pair of custom made boots, made for someone else, that will fit your leg.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Hmmm....there aren't too many off the rack that are over 20" tall, even with a size 10 foot and "tall" option.

If you need something like Purple does, over 23", for example - you may have to go custom.

Do you know what height you need? The Ariat Challengers in TALL in your size is 20".

My guess is you want something closer to 22"? With a Spanish Cut topline to appear even taller?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

I have off-the-rack Parlanti's and I love them. They are beautiful boots, comfortable, and affordable. I had custom Der Dau's from the ages of 13-16. They were really nice, however they wore quick (I was riding 5-6 times a week in them). I love my Parlanti's they look custom but for half the price. They are worth it.

I haven't heard great things about Sergio Grasso's but that was only from a few people. A friend had a pair and a hole wore in the calf after 6-8 months or so. She was also told by the people at the tack shop they would drop a significant amount, they didn't drop at all.

What brands off-the-shelf are good for slim, short, with very narrow feet and ankles? I wear about size 4.5 or 5 street shoes, and have longish legs for that foot size, but still feel like your description is closest to my legs/build.

I am 5'11" and have super skinny calfs and size 10 feet. I tried EVERY boot at multiple tack shops and none worked. To get the height there was a sacrifice on ankle width. I ended up going with semi custom Der Daus (just a plain 10 foot and custom leg part). I LOVE them!!! They were expensive ($900!), but super well made and beautiful. I know of another company, La Mundial, which has full customs for more like $600 but they were difficult to contact. I would go custom. Mine make my leg look amazing at the shows simply because they fit well and are tall to compliment my leg!

Yeah, the Ariat talls in size 10 are 20"...there are few, if any, off the shelf boots that come any taller than that. I'm not familiar with the old style Challenges, but you might be able to find some off the shelf boots with a 19" plus up the back measurement with the currently fashionable high Spanish tops that won't look too short.

In addition to checking out the Treadsteps, have a look at DeNiros too, they come pretty tall and slim, though the large foot/slim calf/tall seem to not be stocked in most store and require a special order.

Otherwise, it's custom or haunting eBay for someone else's custom boots. Here's a pair of Der Daus that are size 10, very slim and 20.5" up the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Der-Dau-Fiel...item4ac33b91fc

This thread is definitely 2 years old. I'm sure OP has found some boots by now.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים