The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how do you store everything in horse trailer with no tackroom

Just wondering how you make it work? Tacktrunk bolted to the front?

I just got a trailer on Friday! It has no dressing room, but the previous owner had built a tack box inside with 2 saddle racks and a bridle rack. Took it for a spin yesterday, and it was more than enough for the local stuff we do!

thats cool, is the trunk under the hay area? Is it bolted into the trailer somehow?

I put everything in rubbermaid tubs, and throw it on the back of the truck. It does get old, so I'm looking for a 2H with a DR.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I have a large tack box tied to the frame in the front of mine. It does take up the entire front of the trailer, but with the stuff that fits in the box and the rest that I put between the box and the front of the trailer, it works fine. Anything else I need that won't fit, goes in the truck.

I assume this is one of those trailers without a feed manager, so that there is just a bar across where the horse's chest is. I've never had that sort of trailer, but I've seen what other people have done.

Storage box/container bolted on the outside over the wheel cover on each side.

Large tack box or storage tub secured inside the trailer, on the floor at the very front.

Ditto above, but secured outside the trailer, on the frame at the front.

Waterproof storage tubs in the bed of the truck/back of the car. This can be a PITA, having to put things in and out all the time.

It helps if you have bridle bags, saddle bags, and secure storage boxes for things - we have a good sized plastic tool box that has all the equipment for the big and medium clippers, and equipment for them. A much smaller one for everything needed to braid.

We have a small slant load two horse with a dressing room but we only haul one horse. My gelding is an honest 16 hands, my sister is 5'2", so we cram a three step mounting block into the DR. )

I don't. Everything on the floor of the horse compartment of the trailer gets filthy with hay dust and whatever and, given how often I really clean my trailer, stays filthy.

I once had a trailer with a tack compartment in the nose in front of the horses knees and with a 2' high door to access it from the outside, and that was useful for some things.

Now I put everything either inside the truck or in plastic totes in the back of the truck.

Trunk in the front of the trailer holds the permanent stuff-- grooming box, first aid kit, spare halter and rope, jumping bat and dressage whip, rain sheet and a cooler, stud kit, etc. The trailer jack hangs from a hook in the front of the trailer, the broom and shovel for cleanups fit behind the trunk, and my wash buckets are bungied in the front next to the trunk.

Water containers, muck bucket, and mounting block go in the back of the truck, and I have one of those bars that go across to keep stuff from sliding.

Most everything else goes in the front of the truck on the passenger side-- two saddles, two duffel bags with pads, bridles, girths and boots, and my riding clothes, helmets, xc vest, etc.

It's tight, but doable-- as long as it's just me and my horse, anyway. If anyone else comes it's a PITA!

I saw a plastic box this weekend in TSC, that was shaped to go on the tongue of a trailer.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

That sounds like a neat idea, Equibrit, but I think my spare would be in the way.

For days out and one day shows I just pack it all on the back seat of the truck. For overnighters, I'll pack a rubbermaid trunk with the extra stuff and throw it in the bed of the truck.

I know myself well enough to know that if I did have a tack room in my trailer I'd either be hauling around far more crap than was necessary or I'd assume something was in there that wasn't... This way, I think my list through, take what I need and unload it all and put it away when we get home!

We just put the tack in trunks in the truck itself or in the hay area - however, be prepared to have hay/slobber on everything if you put it in the hay area.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedapple View Post
    thats cool, is the trunk under the hay area? Is it bolted into the trailer somehow?
    Yep! It is in the front left of the trailer, and bolted to the front. It somewhat blocks the left escape door, but not so badly that you can't use it. It has been super convenient so far!!

BabyE-
    got any pics? Thanks-

My husband added large D rings in several spots in the front of my old stock trailer. I could store tack trunks, saddles, hay bales, water jugs, etc and secure them with bungee cords. Worked great and nothing was "permanently" installed, so I could change my configuration as needed.

Beau's mom - I have one that I snapped on the day I purchased it. The question is, how do I put it on COTH?? lol...

I have a Stanley trunk ratchet strapped to the front of my 2h. It is wonderful. It holds my wash and drinking buckets, brushes, first aid etc and when I'm done riding is big enough to fit my saddle and sweaty pads so I don't have to throw them in the back seat of my truck. It works great!

Quote Originally Posted by ACP View Post

We have a small slant load two horse with a dressing room but we only haul one horse. My gelding is an honest 16 hands, my sister is 5'2", so we cram a three step mounting block into the DR. )
    Get a folding stool from the hardware store. Takes up almost no space at all. My horse is 17.2 and I'm 5'7", so same ratio
    Stool is plenty tall enough....
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Reviving old topic with question for baby eventer (or anyone else that may have this type of set up). For the tack box you mentioned, can you provide rough dimensions of the box that you are able to fit 2 saddle racks? I have a v front trailer with no tack room and would love to figure out how to get in 2saddle racks that are protected so a horse can't chew on my saddle and everything isn't covered in hay.

Right now in the front I have a stanley trunk attached to rings so it won't slide over by the right escape door. Above that high up are bridle racks, then on the left side I have a blanket bar. With this arrangement I am able to fit most of my horse equipment, and I put water jugs in the bed of my truck. When I have extra people with me I am finding my truck turns into a disaster area by the end of the show with people trying to fit all their stuff into my back seat (crew cab truck).

Hey MOwen! I actually do not have a v-nose trailer - mine is flat in front. That may make a big difference, because I have a good bit of room in front of the front bumpers. Still want me to measure for you??

Thanks BE. I think you're right, the measurements wouldn't carry across. Can you just explain how your tack box is arranged inside to fit the saddles? I am having trouble picturing that. Is it basically shaped like a normal tack trunk and how does it open? like a cabinet from the front or from the top more like a normal trunk? Thanks!