The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a private Boarding Farm Near DC

I am looking for a private boarding farm outside of DC (within 20 miles) that is family run style barn.
    Looking for a place with big turnout and a hunter jumper facility would be a plus.
    Please message me if you have any recommendations with location and price.

Do you live out of the area by any chance? What you are looking for -- a hunter jumper facility with "big" turn-out is going to be a challenge. It's the suburbs 20 miles around DC. There are such barns around, but further out. With DC area traffic, keep in mind 20 miles can equal over an hour of driving depending on when you want to get there. I make a 21 mile commute every day.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Your best bet would be a barn in the Upper Marlboro area, Maryland. There are farms/stables in that area and then a bit further out towards Davidsonville. Also, just north of the metro beltway you start getting into areas of stables and farms. Most do not have truly large turnouts but there is a pretty large number of choices between the north side beltway and I-70 to the north. Then there are the farms west of 270, towards Darnestown, MD.

Have you moved to the area yet?

chicamuxen

Your decision is largely going to be influenced by where you live and work. We have very bad traffic here (second only to LA, I believe.) My suggestion would be to live out as far as you can in the suburbs for a tolerable work commute and then look for a barn that is a reasonable distance from home.

As someone who grew up in this area many, many years ago, I do remember when horses and barns were much closer. But that time is 30 - 40 years gone.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I have the perfect place for you! I board there now, and I live on Capitol Hill in DC and work downtown. It is exactly 17 miles from my front door, in Upper Marlboro MD. I can be there in as little as 20 mins on the weekends. After work during the week, I take the metro to my car on Capitol Hill, then drive to the barn. I can do all of that in less than one hour. Large turnouts, huge indoor, and a combo of dressage and hunter/jumper. I will email you privately.