The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default LA Times article on abandoned horses and the economy

Did you notice that it's only the KB's and auction owners who sell to slaughter that are acting as if the only other option to having a horse/horses that you don't want is "to turn them out in the desert". And of course, it's someone with 13 broodmares that probably has been utilizing slaughter to get rid of their extra horses, yet kept breeding more.

I guess stopping breeding never occured to them, training the broodmares to make them sellable never occured to them, euthanasia hasn't occured to them, or shooting them, hasn't occured to them.

As a side note, David Misner is always sending horses from CA to slaughter at our local auction, and one other in NM. So much for enforcement of not transporting from CA for slaughter.

Good artcle....

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Did you notice that it's only the KB's and auction owners who sell to slaughter that are acting as if the only other option to having a horse/horses that you don't want is "to turn them out in the desert". And of course, it's someone with 13 broodmares that probably has been utilizing slaughter to get rid of their extra horses, yet kept breeding more.

I guess stopping breeding never occured to them, training the broodmares to make them sellable never occured to them, euthanasia hasn't occured to them, or shooting them, hasn't occured to them.

As a side note, David Misner is always sending horses from CA to slaughter at our local auction, and one other in NM. So much for enforcement of not transporting from CA for slaughter.
    I don't see your point there?

If that trader is sending horses from one auction to another, he is not "sending them to slaughter", so he is not breaking any laws.

Very soon, the laws in California will say you can't sell any horse.
    Some of those voters just don't have any idea how the world around them works, not any at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Very soon, the laws in California will say you can't sell any horse.
    Some of those voters just don't have any idea how the world around them works, not any at all.
    Sounds like the California Cougar hunting fiasco.

This bespeaks a lot of ignorance about how horses are produced.

Horse breeding is a LONG TERM BUSINESS. It takes three to six YEARS from breeding to the point where a horse is economically viable for most folks. So if you bred your mares in 2006 (when things were just ducky) then today you're likely stuck with a bunch of "excess horses." Exactly how were the actions in 2006 "irresponsible"?????

Further, not every breeding is a success. If the breeder is doing their job they've breed "best to best." Still, there is an elemement of "genetic lottery" in any breeding. Sometimes it works spectacularly well and on very rare occations is fails mightily. In most cases, however, it works just fine. Again, people with experience and knowledge know this.

Horses are not puppies or kittens. They are large animals that require long gestation and long periods of time to bring them to proper size for sale...be ye talking about foals or saddle stock.

The very idea that every "unwanted horse" is the product of some sort of "human mis/mal/non-feasance" is widely held but seriously in error. Too bad so very many people want to wallow in error.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post

Horse breeding is a LONG TERM BUSINESS. It takes three to six YEARS from breeding to the point where a horse is economically viable for most folks. So if you bred your mares in 2006 (when things were just ducky) then today you're likely stuck with a bunch of "excess horses." Exactly how were the actions in 2006 "irresponsible"?????

Further, not every breeding is a success. If the breeder is doing their job they've breed "best to best." Still, there is an elemement of "genetic lottery" in any breeding. Sometimes it works spectacularly well and on very rare occations is fails mightily. In most cases, however, it works just fine. Again, people with experience and knowledge know this.

Horses are not puppies or kittens. They are large animals that require long gestation and long periods of time to bring them to proper size for sale...be ye talking about foals or saddle stock.

The very idea that every "unwanted horse" is the product of some sort of "human mis/mal/non-feasance" is widely held but seriously in error. Too bad so very many people want to wallow in error.

G.
    THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS!!!!
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Thumbs up

great article...thanx for posting

I'm with G on this one.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Forgot to add: the AQHA, APHA and ApHA all reported a 68% drop in stud reports just for 2010. I'm sure they were lower in the years preceding that and are low for 2011 as well. If that's not a SERIOUS and responsible reaction to the problem i don't know what is.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

A great post as usual. The point though will be lost on those who dont want to see the other options, because it cuts into their way of doing things. And that is fine everyone has a right to an opinion. I am against horse slaughter, I always will be, it doesn't mean I can prevent it, but I dont have to ever support it.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

G.
    When you have a local QH breeder running 35 weanlings/8 mo olds through an auction as a group, straight to kill, I'd say you are overbreeding/breeding irresponsibly. And they do this regularly at my local auction, so it isn't a one time deal, where they lost a job/etc.

And when you see large groups of pregnant broodmares at auction, going to kill, they didn't get pregnant 3-6 yrs ago. They bred them when the economy is bad.

And the breeder in the article was talking about how, without slaughter, he'll have to turn his broodmares out in the desert. That's irresponsible x two. First, he sends his broodmares to slaughter, then he would consider abandonment rather than other options.

G.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Forgot to add: the AQHA, APHA and ApHA all reported a 68% drop in stud reports just for 2010. I'm sure they were lower in the years preceding that and are low for 2011 as well. If that's not a SERIOUS and responsible reaction to the problem i don't know what is.

and this

When you have a local QH breeder running 35 weanlings/8 mo olds through an auction as a group, straight to kill, I'd say you are overbreeding/breeding irresponsibly. And they do this regularly at my local auction, so it isn't a one time deal, where they lost a job/etc.

And when you see large groups of pregnant broodmares at auction, going to kill, they didn't get pregnant 3-6 yrs ago. They bred them when the economy is bad.

And the breeder in the article was talking about how, without slaughter, he'll have to turn his broodmares out in the desert. That's irresponsible x two. First, he sends his broodmares to slaughter, then he would consider abandonment rather than other options.
    Assuming everything that you say is true, what should be done about it?

G.

Assuming everything that you say is true, what should be done about it?

G.
    Go over to the slaughter legislation thread and you'll see my suggestions. I don't know how to even start to try to get them implemented. They combined 3 threads, one of which wanted ideas for unwanted horses. I had a detailed post there.