The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Buckeye Feeds EQ- 8

Has anyone used this and what are your experiences with it?
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

My new horse came to me on it, and he was a quivering, hysterical, anxious wreck of a horse the first month I had him. I took him off ALL grain, got his teeth done, treated him for ulcers and now he's the normal, quiet horse I was pretty sure I'd bought.

He's on Tribute Kalm Ultra now, which is like Ultium. Unlike my other horsess, all easy keepers, he can't be on a "no concentrate" diet or he loses weight.

Hard to know if part, some, all, or none of it was from the grain. I'm actually not much of a "believer" in grain in general making a horse hot, other than in certain circumstances, but that was the story with this horse.

There was nothing on the ingredient tag or nutritional content that bothered me about it, but I would hesitate before using it again on at least this one horse, even though I'm well aware the original problem was almost certainly multifactiorial.
    Click here before you buy.

I tried it on a very skinny three year old last year and I was not impressed. Even on 8# per day with 4# of alfalfa pellets, 3 months later this horse still looked like a wreck. Alfalfa, senior feed (seminole brand) and rice bran is what finally did the trick for that boy.

I now use Equipride anytime I want to recondition a horse's gut. Much better product and it can be used to top dress any feed (or feed it as a stand alone vitamin/mineral supp).

I tried it for quite some time, the guy at Brother's was insistant that it was the best thing ever. Switched to Triple Crown senior, not going back to Buckeye. It didn't help put weight on hardly at all.
    Quarry Rat

Default No go.

Tried it, but had to feed so much to try to keep the weight on my horse (18.1 hand TB) that it was ridiculous. The answer for you probably depends on why you want to use it.

Sure it says that it will help with ulcer prone horses, but since most ulcer prone horses have weight problems as well I think they missed the mark. I fed Ultium for a while with some weight results although he still had an upset belly and starting refusing to eat it. Now I'm trying Buckeye Trifecta. No results on that yet since it's only been a month. My issue is that's he's too big to keep weight on without a concentrate feed. Of course he seems to dislike all concentrate feeds...

I should mention that 2 other people at my barn tried it as well without much results. We are all off that feed now. One is now on a mix of strategy and trifecta and looks great although I think he gets way too much concentrate. The other is still having issues and is currently switching from a senior feed to ultium to see if lower nsc helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I tried it for quite some time, the guy at Brother's was insistant that it was the best thing ever. Switched to Triple Crown senior, not going back to Buckeye. It didn't help put weight on hardly at all.
    Crap I got the same wonderful story from the same guy It is not a weight issue right now, as much as it is a picky ulcer prone horse that is a hard keeper - looks fabulous right now - But he is on lay up right 4 months now.

He was on Ultium and stopped eating it. He was on Strategy before that and XTN before that and Senior before that. He will not eat ANY brand of top dress weight builder and we have tried them all - every single one - really HATES the Amplify so we went to the Kent Omegatin which went over like a lead balloon to the Buckeye Ultimate finish and he STOPPED eating all together.

So Brother's sold me the EQ-8 I think because they know i will buy him anything no matter what it costs.

When he starts training/competing again(providing he recovers) his ulcers will flare. We start with powdered Aloe and work our way to Ulcer guard.

Oh well, he won't eat this either. Oh he eats a few bites then finishes his hay and picks at it until it's time for more hay or soaked beet pulp. I have yet to get more then 3 pounds a day in him.

I think I will go back to the Senior feed and add Fast Track. Until he comes back to conditioning in March I will lay off the fat supplements. He hates them any way.

I should have asked before i dropped $45 + tax on two bags.

Default Well at least I'm not alone!

Woodland that sounds like my horse exactly. Ulcer issues, I treat with Ulcergard but still he stops eating every feed I try. I've done Strategy, Purina Senior, EQ8, Ultium, and now trying Trifecta. I also used to give Ultimate Finish but he started refusing it. He refuses any supplements that aren't pelleted so that counts out most pre/probiotics. Currently trying Succeed paste, but not seeing much. Loves hay though at all times, especially into alfalfa pellets. I wish there was an easy answer to helping them feel better!

Try Buckeye's Cadence Ultra for your hard keepers. It's a 14-14-14 and is extruded, so it's very digestible. I feed it to my hard keeping broodmares and it keeps weight on them nicely.

You shoulda called me and asked about that guy, lol. He sure is a slick salesman! I went through about 15 bags before I gave up, and he tried to make me feel like I was being a bad/ignorant owner. I'm doing the TC Senior, rice bran pellets, and a really good probiotic and he looks much better. I'd go back to what you had with the Fast Track, honestly. The EQ8 was a good idea, but just didn't work out practically. I was feeding more than ten pounds of it a day, to boot!
    Quarry Rat

Why not put the horse on a low/maintenance dose of generic omeprazole if he's still fussy? One pack of the blue pop rocks every other day will cost a lot less than almost all of the (nearly useless) ulcer "supplements" out there and may just keep the horse's tummy happier. That's what I do.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Has anyone used this and what are your experiences with it?
    You're much better off trying Progressive Nutrition's Pro Elite HF...its an extruded feed...high fat/fiber ,and low starch/sugar

http://prognutrition.com/proelitehf.html

Pennfield's Fibergized seems to be extra tasty to some of my fussy eater's too!

You could try Emerald Valley's Speedi or Fiberbeet which is shredded beetpulp flakes w/ alfalfa that soaks in 10 minutes or less...the horses love it! they also have an extra delicious mash called Spooky mash which has papaya,pumpkin,chia seeds etc for soothing the tummy w/ fibre beet-the horses go crazy for it...something else you could try!!

Mosey - trust me I know that guy....the selection for shopping in this area makes me shop where I can not where i want to Do they have what you feed there?

Availability is essential. Some suggestions are just not available in my area. But thank you all for your suggestions.

We should start a picky eater bad gut wonderful horse support group.

He WILL get you Triple Crown Senior if you call to make sure there's an order coming. Now, getting him to let you buy it... <rolling eyes> Because, you know, obviously you have no idea what you REALLY need to be feeding, and he's just sooooo knowledgeable <gag>. I'm sorry, can ya tell he really started irritating me? LOL I've been lucky and found a small feed store really close to me that will order it in, but if you're firm or talk to one of the other people there it's available.
    Quarry Rat

We should really go in and shop there together sometime

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    We should really go in and shop there together sometime
    Oh dear Lord, can you imagine?!?!?!
    Quarry Rat