The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Call him "Cadeaux", or "Cad" for short. He's a cadeaux de Noel, isn't he?

I REALLY like him. He's got GREAT bone, and I think will be quite a looker with some groceries. And don't worry about the cow hocks; some of the best movers with the most powerful hind ends are noticeably cow hocked.

Oh, and my sympathies on the kitty. I'm watching my soon-to-be-21-year-old like a hawk. She's started the weight loss thing and I've put her on A/D, the weight gain food. We'll see what happens. She's still eating all right, so maybe I'll have her around a little while longer.

Congrats on the new boy!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Well, Sunday morning it was apparent kitty wasn’t feeling as well as he had while the vet was here. He picked at breakfast and then had his first dizzy spell/TIA/whatever a while afterwards. He started listing on the way to the cat box, and then couldn’t stand straight to do his business even if I held him up by the chest. It passed within a couple minutes and he jumped up normal, but it’s been a slow slide for the last 40 hours or so. Had another ‘can’t balance’ spell Sunday evening. He’s only picked at his very favorite foods ever since. If he can’t eat the vet’s suggested new food, he can’t recover.

We have thought he might have feline diabetes but haven’t been able to get test strips to confirm it, and the hospital insulin is strictly for the humans. Sunday and today are the first days he’s really struggled with basic needs and he’s now beyond management by diet alone. So though he’s still giving me a perky meow when I go check on him, it’s time. Dr. Keith will be in our area on Thursday and we’ll put him to sleep. Sweet cat, he hung on just long enough to hand me off to the new pony for safekeeping.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

All I can say is bless you and the care that you give your animals in what seems to be a difficult situation.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Sweet Kitty.

Many hugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

aww big hugs.

P.

So sorry about your kitty. Take care!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

It's been a bad year for you with your horse and now the kitty. I hope your new horse will have a long and happy life. Just hang in there as 2011 is almost over. Next year has got to be better for everyone.

Remember you gave both your horse and your kitty good lives while they were with you. other animals are not so fortunate to have caring owners.

Thanks, all. Dr. Keith jackhammered a half-day out of his schedule to get here and put Sneezer to rest this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TS Sneezer snoozing.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	34452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00033.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	34453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sneezer watching ponies.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	34454  
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.

Lots of (((((HUGS))))))
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

So sorry about your kitty...they are definitely more than "animals" they are a part of our family. I went through this a few months ago and it's so hard but at least we can help them out of their pain/sickness.

So sorry about your kitteh. Hugs to you. New horse is one very lucky guy and I am sure will reward your wonderful care.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Last night I brought the new horse into the pen and dumped a sack of cut forage for him. He promptly stood all 4 feet in the pile while he ate, as the sheep looked on! He’s not food aggressive toward me, but certainly wants to protect his dinner from competition. We are for that reason keeping him tied (with the neck rope he’s used to) to make sure he doesn’t try beating up on the ram until Mano can split the pen into two.

Per vet’s directions, Mano and I got a tube of ivermectin paste into the pony this morning. When the meds hit his tongue he shot back and left the last 250 pounds worth dangling in midair! Can’t say I blame him, can say he got a full dose for his weight. So when I got these pix at mid-morning, he wanted me front and center where he could see what nefarious plan I had going. I couldn’t get towards his rear for a fully ‘correct’ shot, but it shows his other side well. It’s clear from the front shot how much weight he needs to gain.

I cleaned up the sore, since he got hay bits on it when he laid down last night. I’ll leave triple antibiotic and probably my SWAT with Mano, and the vet tech can help with any further signs of infection. He’s now getting little bumps like the start of rainrot all over his shoulders, so I’m betting we’re clearing out some threadworm larva as well as gut worms.

This is the first pony I’ve ever seen respond to molasses on a saltine being bumped against his lips by rubbing said lips on the ground to get rid of that sticky stuff! I DOONN’TT think he’s standing out there sulking that he just missed out on the horse treat secret santa exchange. I’m not yet the Treat Lady, just the lady who brings icky tasting stuff and who messes with his sore. It’ll take a while to win his confidence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15dec2011 newguy front.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	34456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15dec2011 newguy confo.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	34457