The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The kindness of horsepeople...

We all tend to bang on a bit about how completely effing nuts horse people are, but they've proved to me this week that they really do know how to come to the rescue when the chips are down.

I had a horrific accident earlier in the week, and ended up in the hospital (the long and short of it is I was attacked by a buck and ended up with an antler through and through my inner thigh. Significant rather horrible surgery later, I'm thankfully back home on very good painkillers, but out for the count for some time. However, I could so easily be dead.)

Any time I've ever had to be down for any length of time before, I've had a chance to plan things and set things up so everyone gets looked after.

I'm just amazed and thankful at the outpouring of help and support I have had with the horses and life in general. It makes it much easier to actually focus on healing when you don't have to worry about the critters.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Oh my, I hope you heal up quickly!

That is wonderful that you have some good friends able to help you and your horses.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Jingling for a speedy recovery for you.

I couldn't agree more about horse people. The love and support even complete strangers give you is amazing.

Glad you have a great group around you.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

I wish I were closer to you . I would be there to help you.
    All I can suggest is to take time to heal and do not try to do too much until the Dr. says you can.
    Yes usually when the chips are down and a friend is in dire need these horsey people are there and willing to do all they can.
    That is what makes it worthwhile to endure the nit wits and the wanna bees.
    The real horse people are loyal and there when you really need them.
    I am so sorry to hear of this bad incident. Take care of yourself and my prayers are with you.
    Kind regards, sadlmakr

I think the majority of horsepeople are terrific, and I am sure glad you're finding that out now that you are on the receiving end of needing help!

When you're feeling up to it, inquiring minds want to know: WHAT in heaven's name happened?

I agree about the kindness of our fellow horse people, but I'm interested in hearing more about the attacking buck. We have a small acreage and numerous deer, including "Bucky", "Nubby" and "Spike". Are you feeling well enough to post details?

Massive jingles for you and a quick recovery. Great that you have a great group of friends to look after your critters.

Ditto what Jean M.

P.

Jingles!

I have never seen people work together so quickly or efficiently in an emergency as horse people. I'm glad you're getting help on the road to recovery.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Jingles!

And yes, horse people (and many people in general) are seriously amazing. I am surrounded by some wonderful people at my barn and I am truly grateful for their presence, help, and support. It's always nice to be around good people!!

I was also in a bad accident a few years ago and I was stunned by the number of caring people, (that I hardly knew) that drove two hours to the hospital (one-way, in the snow) just to see me.

Good luck with your recovery!

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

Holy Smokes! How in the world did that happen? And did you get pics? 'cause we crazy effing horse peeps are really gonna want to see that!

I just had a visual of a mad reindeer going nuts on you. Were you on the Naughty list?
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Wow.

Texas-sized jingles for a swift recovery coming your way. I can completely understand how you might have been injured; we're just in the end of rut season, and I have upwards of 100 deer per day coming through my property. Many's the time I've gotten out of my car, only to lock eyes with an eight point buck with love on his mind, and me between him and his lady. Scary, scary business.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Honestly this is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to me, and I'm old enough to have seen a lot.

Deer was stuck in my Horseguard fence. I made a very, very wide berth around him to go down to the bottom of the field to release the fence line an help him get away. He charged me, the fence stretched out far further than I would have thought possible and I'm looking down at an antler going through my leg. If he'd knocked me over or been a few inches higher, I'd be dead. I was home alone, he missed my femoral artery by about an inch.

There will be no pictures.

DNR came and extracted the deer from the fence later that day.

I think it's going to be months before I'm riding again, as I'm missing a large deep chunk of my inner thigh. And this really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Honestly this is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to me, and I'm old enough to have seen a lot.

Deer was stuck in my Horseguard fence. I made a very, very wide berth around him to go down to the bottom of the field to release the fence line an help him get away. He charged me, the fence stretched out far further than I would have thought possible and I'm looking down at an antler going through my leg. If he'd knocked me over or been a few inches higher, I'd be dead. I was home alone, he missed my femoral artery by about an inch.

I think it's going to be months before I'm riding again, as I'm missing a large deep chunk of my inner thigh. And this really sucks.
    Wow Glad you lived to tell the tale. Must have been terrifying. Jingles for a quick recovery!

I hope you heal quickly!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Jingles from Louisiana for a full and speedy recovery. I have heard horror tales from friends who deer hunt about how dangerous a trapped or wounded buck can be, especially during rutting season.

I have a friend who got an antler to his inner thigh - much the same injury as you have described and within an inch of his femoral artery, too. He had wounded a buck and was tracking him when the deer charged him from a thicket as he passed his hiding place. Another friend got an antler through the hand, when he went up to check on what he thought had been a clean kill.

I plant winter grass, and I know the deer jump the fence to get to the grass. I see their prints and sometimes they don't clear the top electric wire and they tear off a couple insolators and take the wire down whe they hit it. They are much stronger than they look.

Gosh! Jingles for a speedy and uneventful recovery. And yea, horse people do shine when the chips are down.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

New England Jingles coming your way. What a traumatic experience for you. Wishing you a smooth and swift recovery.

Holy cow! Wishing you a very speedy recovery...but if not as speedy as you'd like (I am aware that we horse people can be impatient), then a complete recovery. That sounded scary beyond words.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post

That was a close call!

A friend had a very tame buck stay around the house and one day she was walking to the barn when he attacked her and was trampling and hooking her.
    Her rottie was in the dog pen and climbed the 6' fence and came to get the deer off her, she finally could roll under the fence to get away and there they found her, almost dead.
    She had surgery and spent ten days in ICU, but made it.

Adult deer can be really dangerous, their hooves cut like scalpels, the horns are lethal weapons.

People are very helpful.
    When I had a heart attack, everyone took care of all here, the cattle and horses.
    One neighbor told me he likes to feed my horses because they nicker to him.

I hope your leg heals well and you can get back on with your life soon.