The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Spinoff: Looking for Winter Apparel for the Petite Rider!!

I have seen lots of threads on the best winter jackets for riding- those that keep you warm but aren't super bulky. And I know there are tons of threads on dressing warmly for lessons and clinics. However, most of these give suggestions for items that are just too big for me. I am a young adult, but very petite. This is much more frustrating then it seems! (not trying to start any drama here, so please no rude comments for either side of the weight spectrum)
    I currently have a North Face vest, ladies size XS (too big around), Ralph Lauren cable knit sweaters, size XS (have to shrink them in the dryer so they don't make me look like a box), and some North Face jackets in a child's size L (these fit better than anything else).
    Looking for suggestions for items that might run small in adult sizes or have child's sizes (that don't look really "kiddy") and work for the petite rider.
    It would be great if I could stay away from the Michelin Man look! TIA
    Last edited by huntereq1991; Dec. 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

I feel your pain--I'm 4'10 1/2" and 85 lbs, and regularly mistaken for a child when I'm in layers. Depending on how short you are, the Kerrits kids tights are the perfect length and fit for me. I think I wear the kids L. I just wish they came in more colours. The winter fleece-y tights are super warm and comfortable. When it gets really cold, I usually wear the TuffRider winter tights (kids' size 14 is probably okay; I have the kids' 12 but they're pretty tight--thank god for elastic). I have a pair of adult small ones, but have to roll the cuffs. Or I can wear the Kerrits tights over the Kerrits tattoo longjohn set--even in an adult small, those are a perfect fit, because the bottoms are cut to mid-calf.

On top, the Ariat Lexi (I think that's it) jacket is a really nice slim fit, and I love mine. It's a wee tiny bit big for me, but really not much, and it's totally fine over other layers. When it's really cold I wear my Mountain Horse kids coat (the Grace one, I think), which is exactly the same as the adult one, but smaller and about $50 cheaper. (The one advantage to being kid-sized.) It's not exactly pretty, but it is darn warm.

Also, thrift shops are great for sweaters... I can always find nice warm wool turtlenecks and tight-fitting wool sweaters, because people throw them in the dryer and shrink them. (;

I'm a petite adult also. I bought a lovely winter jacket from Eddie Bauer. It's down so it is very warm without all the bulk.

This is the one I have in XS. It is sized to fit over just a light layer, but I wear it comfortably over a turtleneck and sweater.
    http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/pr...viewAll=y&pg=1

I live in California, so I can't help too much with heavy jackets (I don't think my ski jacket has ever seen a horse!), but I know Nike & Athleta both carry XS fleece-type jackets. They're designed for runners so they won't get as gross if you're sweaty.

ETA: Also try Patagonia. They usually carry XS & their sizes run small as well. Good luck!

I can't find nylon overpants that are short enough. Anyone?
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Kinnip, try the Mountain Horse kid-sized barn pants? I think they're the ones that match the Grace coat...

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I really appreciate them.

Trip-- I just remembered that I used to have a down jacket from Eddie Bauer and it fit pretty well! My only problem was that after several washings (which you can't really avoid with barn clothes), lots of the feathers were starting to come out. It was a black jacket, so this was not a good look! Have you noticed any of the down feathers leaking out of your jacket? Maybe they have fixed this problem since I bought mine several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kinnip View Post
    I can't find nylon overpants that are short enough. Anyone?
    For riding or just to put on over your breeches for barn work? If the latter, look at boys track pants.

I have a pair of size boys' 12 track pants from Target - $10, wide "boys'" legs (vs tapering legs seen in most girls'/women's clothes) make them easy to pull on over things, and a 27" inseam which is actually too short for me.

Tropcial Rider has winter breeches in a petite length. Maybe check LLBean for jackets as they usually have a section for kids winter clothes.

LLBean, Eddie Bauer, and Lands End all carry women's outerwear in petite sizes. Most of them are on same now.

Target has AWESOME snow pants - the brand is Champion. I don't find them too slick to ride in. I don't need petite sizes at 5'5" 120lbs, but it is hard to get stuff that fits right - I'm most comfortable in the men's small snow pants (they apparently don't make them for women...), but I could get the kids XL on. They were a little snug to sit in, but would have worked if they had been longer. They came like half way up my calf when I sat down. The kids ones are about $20 and the adult ones were $34.99. I'd look into those. The girls section had some really cute ones. There were pink and white plaid ones that were completely awesome. I was very sad when they were too short.

I also really like Cabelas. I got an inexpensive down vest in their Bargain Cave. Their stuff tends to run on the small side.