The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Electric Fence Charger not working correctly

We have had our current charger for 8 years and now it is not functioning quite right but before I replace it I wanted to check for suggestions. We have to turn it off every other day to check stuff in the woods at the back of our property. When we turn it back on it takes a few minutes to get going again. The indicator lights show that the fuses are good. I unhooked it from the fence to check to make sure it would function properly with no 'load' on it and it only went to medium power (it usually goes to high power when diconnected). It currently only will show low power when connected but we kept thinking it was because the hog keeps plowing dirt into it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one?

take a sledge hammer and whack the grounding rods... your location says land of sugar cane... if you are in a sandy area and a close by lightening strike has occurred the sand around the grounding rod will turn almost into a glass which will insulate the grounding rod

Default electric box

Call customer service at the company that made it------they usually help with troubleshooting over the phone.

Actually our soil is mostly clay and the grounding rods seem okay. I will try the manufacturer on Monday.

Thanks.

Get yourself a fence tester, and wander along the fence-line, testing every so often as you go; there may be a break, or it's grounding itself somewhere. You stick the end of the tester wire into the ground, and put the little metal part beside the "reader" on the live fence. Leave the fence on while you do this!

And ditto call the supplier, or the manufacturer, for help, or check their websites for service. Chargers can often by fixed.

I had trouble with mine about 5 years ago. Ended up shipping back to manufacturer. They fixed it for $35.

I'm assuming if it's a solar powered unit that you've already tested the battery.

Check with the manufacturer. Moisture will sometimes work its way into the high voltage pulse transformer and weaken the output. Most are easily replaced.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Just curious what brand/model you have -- if it's been working fine for eight years I want to put it on my list to consider!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

lol, sorry I got distracted wondering what you have to check on in the woods in the back of your property every other day?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**