The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cross Country Horseback Trip Finishes Tomorrow In Virginia Beach

I saw this on Facebook. Looks like they passed about 10 miles from where I live and never even heard of these folks. What an amazing feat considering they did it mostly unsupported and packing all their food and gear.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/12/virg...trip-across-us

I just realized that they are using hoof boots on those horses too. Makes great sense on the pavement.

Wouldn't it be great if folks could help these people get all the horses, the dog and themselves back to Wyoming somehow. I wish I had the time and money to haul them back myself but I don't. Dang...what an amazing story!

I saw them earlier this week - they were crossing the bridge at Deep Creek. I stopped for what I thought was going to be a bridge lift, but then I saw a police cruiser with its blue lights flashing behind a group of horses. One of the saddle horses balked at crossing over the metal deck and the rider dismounted and walked across. I saw the "Coast to Coast" sign on the pack mule (big, handsome and sorrel) and wondered what the story was.

They finished their journey today in Virginia Beach. They are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Here's a link to a few photos from today.

The McGraths - Hearts Up Ranch

Very cool! Thanks Debbie!

What a great story! I love how the dog started following them and never stopped. I bet she's a sweetie!

What a fantastic story!!! I, too, love how the dog started following them and stayed with them till the end.

I also love their horses!!! I want to know more about it, I hope they write a book. LOVE the Appy, but my fave is the huge bay roan! Wonder what he is? (maybe has a drop of draft in him? Look at those HOOVES)

There's another young man also doing the same thing - and all alone. He was just north of me, recently, in Sonoma, CA:
    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...cles/111129523

Apparently his buddy who started out with him, quit after a month on the road. He's had alot of courage to do it alone and continue.

I really respect all these folks who do this....it takes ALOT of perseverance and it's nice to know how folks help them out along the way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    What a great story! I love how the dog started following them and never stopped. I bet she's a sweetie!
    She is a sweetie! Loves playing with the other dogs at the farm and follows her 'owners' everywhere. Richard and Jeannette never put a lease on her until they got into our heavily congested area. Bella also knows not to walk on the road side of them. All they have to do is say 'ditch' and she goes to the grassy side away from traffic....won't cross the street until told to either. Cute, cute, cute!

Quote Originally Posted by RNB View Post
    She is a sweetie! Loves playing with the other dogs at the farm and follows her 'owners' everywhere. Richard and Jeannette never put a lease on her until they got into our heavily congested area. Bella also knows not to walk on the road side of them. All they have to do is say 'ditch' and she goes to the grassy side away from traffic....won't cross the street until told to either. Cute, cute, cute!
    Debbie,

Do you know if they've found any help to get home to Wyoming yet? I can't help but think of them.

Bella is a lucky dog to have found such kind people to take her on.

Wow. Now there goes a couple ADV riders.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

So cool! I do believe they passed quite close to me, remember there being something in the paper...
    Quarry Rat

I saw them on 460 in Bedford, VA then on the news later that night - the lady said she had had only about 3 baths the whole trip! Too bad they got to VA Beach when the water was so cold, they probably all would have loved a swim.

Hope someone can give them a lift back home, they deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Debbie,

Do you know if they've found any help to get home to Wyoming yet? I can't help but think of them.

Bella is a lucky dog to have found such kind people to take her on.
    Last I heard someone had volunteered to take the horses back if someone(s) would pay for the gas. When they got to the farm I asked Richard if he and Jeannette planned to fly back. He said "absolutely not....we're going back with the horses...they've given us everything......." A great couple who LOVE their horses!

Debbie,

Thanks for the update! I'm so glad they are getting a ride back! I contemplated it but my truck is not in shape for such a long trip and neither is my trailer. I've been to Wyoming and back and it is a wicked long drive...3 days out and back.

Anyway, what a nice feel good story!

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy That View Post
    There's another young man also doing the same thing - and all alone. He was just north of me, recently, in Sonoma, CA:
    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...cles/111129523

Apparently his buddy who started out with him, quit after a month on the road. He's had alot of courage to do it alone and continue.

I really respect all these folks who do this....it takes ALOT of perseverance and it's nice to know how folks help them out along the way.
    Fancy - I've been following this guy, Luke, too He actually started his journey about 10 minutes from my house! I'm amazed at how brave and self-reliant these people are to travel so far with only the help of good samaritans. It's an amazing journey and one that I'm sure will stick with them forever.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!