The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bits and Bytes Farm

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Bits and Bytes Farm (http://www.bitsandbytesfarm.com/).

I like a couple of their "prospect horses at the track" (which at least one is on the farm). However, for these horses, if you want to purchase one, you are buying site unseen. Which makes me a little nervous. I believe it's just the horses classified as at the track that would have to bought sight unseen.

I know two people who have gotten prospect horses from them and are quite satisfied. If the horse does not vet out you get your money refunded. They are quite well connected at the track and have a variety of high quality prospects. If the sight unseen thing bothers you,, they do have horses at the farm that they sell themselves. They are also excellent at returning your phone calls. So I would give them a buzz and talk with them about your concerns. If you still don't feel comfortable you can always persue other means of purchasing your next riding companion.

We looked at horses there a few years ago. Nice place, nice people but they overstated the training level of the horses we rode. I wouldn't buy a horse they have there unseen, but a track horse, maybe, there's no training to overstate in that case.
    glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique

I don't know this farm in particular, but since you're not getting many replies I do want to point out that it isn't uncommon at all to purchase horses off the track sight unseen. I know of several reputable farms that act as middlemen and they all do it that way. Even if you go see a horse on the track it's very unlikely that you would be able to ride it or have it vetted IME...when I've done it I've only been able to watch the horse work and seen the groom trot them up and down for me to evaluate soundness. That's it, and the only reason I got to do that was that I had a friend who had a good relationship with the trainer. Most don't want to deal with Susie Pleasurerider off the street, at least in my neck of the woods.

So anyway, since I've bought TBs directly off the track before and know a few people who have similar programs to what the Bits and Bytes site describes, I thought I'd chime in that I don't really see any red flags there. In fact I looked around the site and read the FAQs and while I thought maybe her web design business is a bit questionable (seriously it seems like each page is actually 3 pages--I think I clicked on at least 2-3 links looking for the actual "horses for sale" page--and the layout is a bit odd), the track horse stuff seemed pretty accurate and honest.

Quote Originally Posted by glimmerling View Post
    We looked at horses there a few years ago. Nice place, nice people but they overstated the training level of the horses we rode. I wouldn't buy a horse they have there unseen, but a track horse, maybe, there's no training to overstate in that case.
    I have also heard this from several people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Bits and Bytes Farm (http://www.bitsandbytesfarm.com/).

I like a couple of their "prospect horses at the track" (which at least one is on the farm). However, for these horses, if you want to purchase one, you are buying site unseen. Which makes me a little nervous. I believe it's just the horses classified as at the track that would have to bought sight unseen.
    ^

And I'll PM you, too
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

Thank you for the replies!