The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I also rode until I was around 6 months. Even then, the only reason I stopped was because I couldn't DISMOUNT!

My horse was 16hh, and my belly was just too darn big to slide down his side, and forget vaulting off of him....that would have just ended badly. lol

I've had two babies and with both rode until about 7 months. I agree on the dismounting part, that's what got tricky when my belly got bigger

LOL! This brings back memories! I rode well into my 8th month during both pregnancies. Stopped competing (eventing) at about 3 and 1/2 months, and stopped jumping at about 4 months.
    I agree that the worst part was dismounting! I had built a makeshift mounting block high enough so it would be easier, but at 8 months, it was getting just too uncomfortable.
    And both my babies were 2 weeks late! (NOT fun, that.)
    I was back in the saddle 2 weeks after delivery. And my mare, who had been an angel throughout my pregnancies, reverted to her old attitude at the mounting block ( your foot is in the stirrup? Then let's GO!) lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I rode for a while but had some trouble with my placenta and had to quit. I WILL say however that it depends on the horse too... I dont think I'd risk it on a spooky one because your balance is effected...

Otherwise my trainer rode (even bareback) up until the day

One of my other trainers did jumpers and even competed into her 6th month (she hid it with her jacket).

I dont think Id run that risk, but more power to her I say

Wow, I'm impressed with these stories also. My doctor only let me continue riding till 20 weeks but my friend's doctor let her ride till 7 months. I guess it's up to your doctor's recommendation.

There are many ways to enjoy your horse without riding. But it is not the same. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Eggplant_Dressing View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed with these stories also. My doctor only let me continue riding till 20 weeks but my friend's doctor let her ride till 7 months. I guess it's up to your doctor's recommendation.

There are many ways to enjoy your horse without riding. But it is not the same. Congratulations!
    Did he give you a reason?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Is be interested in hearing why some of the doctors say to stop early. Were there complications? Was it more Dr's saying just don't do it? Very interested to hear.... My first 'vet' appt. is Jan 4th. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Congrats to you! I just had my first child 3 weeks ago I rode up to 14 weeks and stopped due to pelvic pain. But I would have stopped anyway b/c of the fear of falling and having a miscarriage. I teach and train full time, have a young horse that I did not want sitting in the pasture and need to ride to stay sane but none of these reasons outweighed the fact that I had a tiny human growing inside me and it was my responsibility to protect him. This is a very personal decision and I can understand why people continue riding but to me it was not worth the risk. Good luck!

I didn't really tell my midwife I was riding, I think generally most Dr's will tell you to stop. My mw was most concerned about me getting kicked but if you were to fall off and land on your belly there could be issues.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dangerbunny View Post
    I didn't really tell my midwife I was riding, I think generally most Dr's will tell you to stop. My mw was most concerned about me getting kicked but if you were to fall off and land on your belly there could be issues.

When my OB wasn't on call on weekends he was the on site med at a local car racing track. My riding didn't bother him a bit.

I wonder if the couch potato types are more likely to be conservative than the more active ones
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I'm 9 weeks. The first OB I met with said it was fine to continue riding, and I could continue riding until it was uncomfortable. However, I switched OBs and this morning she told me that riding was out of the question..."too jostling." I'm fine with it, as I sold my sane horse last weekend and my sister's 17hh 4 year old is a little too unpredicable.

I love horse shopping and I have already started browsing for my next horse, post-baby! In the meantime I'll work on all those things I hate doing--braiding, cleaning the horse trailer, etc.

I had to stop due to Placenta Previa. Honestly though, even if the doctor hadn't told me to stop riding because of that, I probably would have anyway. I had just suffered a miscarriage with a pregnancy prior to this one and had kept riding that time, and of course battle with myself over guilt that maybe it was the riding that caused it somehow. In my mind I know it probably would have happened anyway, but it is one of those things that is so hard to deal with that you look for any explanation while trying to make sense of the loss. It was no problem, therefore, to stay safely out of the saddle and practice every precaution to protect my baby with the subsequent pregnancy, and it worked. She was born healthy and perfect, and truly the time passed much faster than I expected it would being out of the saddle and was well worth it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. My baby just turned one and let me tell you, no matter what you decide, motherhood is the most wonderful thing in the world! I just brought my baby out to the barn yesterday (for the umpteenth time, but I love seeing her eyes light up every time she sees the horses) and it is so adorable, she bounces up and down in her little stroller squealing with joy saying hello to them

Now, my horse and I are back to regular work, and all is well in the world.

I rode till I was 6+ months prego I was riding 3 horses before I found out and scaled back to the one steady eddie. I even did two shows while prego. I got to a point where my brain was able to do stuff but my body wasn't so I opted out of lessons anymore. It was a sad day but I knew it was time.

Trust your gut and you will be good!

Congrats btw! Babies are the best!
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

Congratulations! Having your first child is clearly the most fascinating experience one can go through!
    I rode well into the 7th month (less intense though than before didn't do much jumping and kept to horses I 100% trusted (as in knew well enough).
    Agree on the getting on and off part getting more tricky than the riding itself.
    Our second one I stopped at about 6 months because I felt increasingly like a watermelon and had to go for the loo all the time.
    I very much agree with those who say stay to your routine. If your routine involves horses it can only be beneficial. Statistically it would make more sense to stop participating in motorized traffic for that matter but I've never heard of someone doing just that or any doctor suggesting it
    Luckily my gyn is a rider herself and I didn't get to see my midwife very often as I was blessed with two uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries.
    The kids have definitely not taken any harm but if anything benefited from the swinging around on horsebacks and sitting on horses themselves for fun from very little on. Both have fantastic coordination and balance I often get comments on. I think it's a good way to make a baby feel happy and d'accord within his/her body. Also if riding is quality time for you you shouldn't stop it because if mom's happy your baby is getting the happy-hormone rush as well and will be happy too.
    I know several women who stopped due to either doctors advice or husbands being anti-riding and all of them turned into rather unhappy moms. Might be coincidental but they also seemed to have more difficulties with the babies after they were born. I think it is good if a baby gets exposed to enough 'benign dirt' through Mom's body early on to beef up the immune system for the more aggressive kinds of germs you find in hospitals or Kindergartens. Both our little ones (knockwood) never had any problems with ear infections, persistent coughs or skin issues I hear about left right and centre from other moms in my proximity. Again this could be coincidental but maybe mom being a vet and castrating stallions (under GA of course!) into the 7th month did have to do with them being more robust than other babies from day 1.

All the best to you and your family!

I actually DID fall off when I was about 3 months pregnant with my 1st baby...I was getting on, and due to changing balance/weight etc I grossly "overshot" and landed hands first on the other side of my mare (who, very uncharacteristically, never moved a muscle and just looked at me).
    I gave everyone at the barn a good scare, and got yelled at for scaring them, but all was fine.

Now that I think of it...I did end up on the ground with 2nd baby too, but that was a bit unusual, since we were riding in deep snow, which turned into a deep snow drift and my mare floundered in it and ended up on her side and on my leg...but the snow was deep enough that nothing bad happened, she waited for me to untangle myself and give her the "get up" signal, and all was fine. Good mare, that one. Still miss her.

My doctor was actually ok with me riding (or maybe he felt right away that I wouldn't take no for an answer? lol) He said that as long as I was used to it, had been doing it for a while (haha, how about 20 years? lol) I would be fine.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by esdressage View Post
    I had just suffered a miscarriage with a pregnancy prior to this one and had kept riding that time, and of course battle with myself over guilt that maybe it was the riding that caused it somehow. In my mind I know it probably would have happened anyway, but it is one of those things that is so hard to deal with that you look for any explanation while trying to make sense of the loss.
    So sorry for your loss! I lost my first pregnancy at 8.5 weeks. I was actually out of town for business, so hadn't been on a horse in days, but I know what you mean about feeling responsible (I felt I had been too stressed at the meetings or something). I am now 5 weeks with my second pregnancy. I am super worried all the time, but my OB is very supportive and says I can continue with my normal routine. So I am trying! The weather wasn't cooperating and now pony has an abscess, so....

OP, good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorselover View Post
    So sorry for your loss! I lost my first pregnancy at 8.5 weeks. I was actually out of town for business, so hadn't been on a horse in days, but I know what you mean about feeling responsible (I felt I had been too stressed at the meetings or something). I am now 5 weeks with my second pregnancy.
    Thank you. My husband is so OK with it, now that we have our wonderful baby girl, but as a mother I think you instantly connect with your baby when you are pregnant so the loss is still incredibly devastating. I still think about it. I'm so sorry for your loss, too.

Congrats to you on your pregnancy, and of course to the OP as well! It sounds like there will be lots of adorable little COTH babies in the leadline classes not too far down the road We'll have to eventually post pics of the little nuggets riding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorselover View Post
    So sorry for your loss! I lost my first pregnancy at 8.5 weeks. I was actually out of town for business, so hadn't been on a horse in days, but I know what you mean about feeling responsible (I felt I had been too stressed at the meetings or something). I am now 5 weeks with my second pregnancy. I am super worried all the time, but my OB is very supportive and says I can continue with my normal routine. So I am trying! The weather wasn't cooperating and now pony has an abscess, so....

OP, good luck to you!
    I lost my second at 13 weeks following a marathon week of Thanksgiving prep. Hadn't been on my horse in days either.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I lost my second at 13 weeks following a marathon week of Thanksgiving prep. Hadn't been on my horse in days either.
    So sorry for your loss too! Having a m/c is like joining a club you never wanted to join....only people who have gone through it understand. It's terrible.

I rode until about 7 months with first child and then less with the 2nd and 3rd. Initially so I was worried about the missed time in the saddle, but looking back (my youngest is 10 years old now) I think I gave it too much importance.

Do what you feel comfortable with.