The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

With my first pregnancy I rode until the week before my son was born (okay, we didn't do much at that point, but I enjoyed the idea of riding). With my second pregnancy I had a more unpredictable horse and I felt more unbalanced. I stopped riding at 7 months.

I had two miscarriages in between my two kids. My husband specifically asked my OB whether riding was causing a problem and he said no, it was completely unrelated. Both my OBs were fine with me riding -- they just warned me not to push myself and to listen to my body.

My first OB was a hoot. He said that when he practiced in Canada, women would ask how long they could ski. He told them until they couldn't see the tips of their skis. With me he told me I could ride until i couldn't lace up my paddock boots.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I am 31 weeks pregnant now and I fully intended to ride throughout my pregnancy. Unfortunately, at about 10 weeks along, I started feeling some discomfort and pressure "down there," which was causing me to tighten up my thighs. This pissed off my 4th level dressage horse and he started getting really tense in his collection because of it. Sitting trot was out of the question at that point too. So, I decided to just take it easy and trail ride. At around 14 weeks, the pressure became much worse and I felt really uncomfortable in my abdomen. After a wonderful collected canter down a freshly plowed field, I went to the bathroom and noticed some pinkish/red discharge and panicked. Luckily, everything was fine, the doctor said I just had a really sensitive cervix due to blood engorgement, but I should take it easy and stop riding. So I did. My horse is enjoying his extended time off, which I think is really good for him anyway. I still longe him at least once a week to keep him supple. He has a stall run and gets turned out everyday, so he's happy.

I thought I would be much more upset at not being able to ride for so many months (This is the longest I have gone without riding since I was 8 years old!) but I'm at peace with it now. I am not a pro rider so I don't HAVE to ride for a living. I'm content to just gestate for now and look forward to starting back in the spring with a mentally and physically fresh horse!
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

I just found out I'm pregnant too. I rode my Morgan two days ago, walk only. He's a saint and unflappable (and 14 hands).
    I won't lie-I'm a little terrified of riding my Oldenburg. She's spooky and very lofty-gaited. I'm trying to find a local rider to excersize her for me, but no luck so far. She needs a job badly.
    I was told over a year and a half ago that DH and I would never have kids without fertility treatment. I'm against it. So we accepted we would just have the horse-kids.

...and now I'm pregnant.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

Congrats Kerri!
    Sometimes, all it takes to get pregnant, is to stop stressing about it...my SIL was like that, too. I wish you were closer...I'd come exercise your mare for you (you have an indoor, right?)
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Yes Sophie, please come ride her! I have an indoor with no barn hours. And no one else rides at night but me. I have yet to ride with another boarder at the same time. She's like a 3rd level horse just sitting there waiting for a job!
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I just had my first "colt" 10 weeks ago, and only got back in the saddle this weekend. I found pregnancy and postpartum recovery very uncomfortable, especially "on top". I am still nursing, which limits the time I can do much of anything, let alone get to the barn!

During pregnancy, trotting was the first activity that had to go. But I did manage to ride, show, and jump throughout my first trimester. Postpartum, I can still do all the flatwork I used to, but my 2 point is crap and feels very weak.

The best advice anyone can give you is to listen to your body-- and then listen to your baby! I love reading about everyone's experiences because they ate so varied; there is no wrong way to do what's right for you!
    Leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

I did until it was too uncomfortable, which was quite near the end. I showed at 7 months. I had to use a belt to cinch my breeches together on my right side. I was riding a broke-to-death mare.

My first i was in the saddle till two weeks before i had him, which was actually my due date as he was two weeks late... I did perfectly fine and was back on two weeks later!

My second one, at 6 weeks i was bed ridden. At 6 months i attempted to get on and just walk for a few minutes. I slid off a few seconds later and didnt try again. I was back on a week after i had him. But MAN OH MAN that pregnancy was TERRIBLE, dizzy, weak, heartburn over drinking water, morning sickness that lasted till 6 months and they finally put me on drugs to stop it... It was bad. If people had to go through all that to have kids, i think it would make a lot of women rethink it! I was expecting it to be a breeze like the first, HA! Second one changed my body quite a bit and it's been hard to get back to riding right again, matter of fact, i'm still not there and he turned 3 in Oct... I doubt i'll ever get it back again, i started driving instead! lol

But i still love dressage, or the idea of it at least. I miss it some. Just some...

Stealing this thread just a little....got married about five months ago, trying to start the pregnancy journey now. And, started riding and leasing a schoolmaster about 2 months ago.

Glad to hear y'all were able to keep horses in your life in one way or another, even with a mini on the way.

Thanks for being so inspiring!
    recovering hunter rider turned eventer

Congratulations on the marriage and good luck on the journey towards a larger family. One good thing is practice makes perfect and that practice sure is fun!
    I'm still trying to stay fit and keep my 2nd level mare going. I went about 2 weeks feeling crummy but am perking back up now so heading out to ride in a few minutes actually. So far this week I've had no issues with sitting the trot or feeling uncomfortable so going to continue till Dr. says no. All check ups have been fine and little bub is growing right on schedule. I wish I knew how to post a photo so I could show the ultrasound pics! I'm 12 weeks along now and still amazed at what is happening!