The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best way to ship a saddle?

I need to ship my saddle to my house from school and was wondering what the best way to pack it would be? Thanks in advance!

Take your stirrups off and wrap those up. Helps avoid bangs & rubs. Pad the cantle well. Pipe insulation tubes work well for that. I prefer wrapping the saddle in bubble wrap at the points that may rub. Ideally if you have a saddle carrier bag, wrap/pad saddle then place it in bag. Lots of peanuts to fill around the bag on all sides. Don't forget to insure it and make sure you get tracking info.

If you are really concerned about safety, then consider taking an empty trash bag, use spray foam (like you get at hardware store for window/siding gaps). Partially fill bag with foam, close bag (no air in bag). Place in bottom of box. While its still soft, position saddle on top of bag, in box. Repeat for top. Fill gaps with peanuts. Now you have a "custom" styrofoam packing that fits your saddle. You can reuse it if you ship the same saddle again.

When the saddle fitter ships saddles to me, they've always just been covered with a saddle cover, stuck in a plastic bag, and shipped in a box, no padding except some paper if the box is bigger than the saddle.

Yep any saddle I've had shipped to me has been in the cover, no leathers/irons, and then maybe wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap. Some didn't even have either and just some paper/towels lol.

Make sure you declare a value for the saddle!
    costs extra but worth it.

Be sure to use a box that is sturdy. Computer boxes, if you can get them, are terrific. As everyone else has said, remove your leathers & irons and wrap them up, put them in the box separately. If you don't have a cover for your saddle, a couple of old sweatshirts will work very well. Since you're shipping it to yourself, you can also tuck in a couple of T-shirts if you want to keep it from shifting around too much.
    I've shipped and received lots of saddles through eBay, and USPS priority mail works great, and is less expensive than Fedex or UPS.

We have had a couple shipped over from Europe and come in a small heavy duty card board barrels with clamp on lids. They can be had locally and are not too expensive and can be used over and over again.

Default shipping

Before you go to the store, call whomever you are using to ship the saddle and ask them.

I had always shipped saddles with the cover, no stirrups and in a box with maybe some newspaper crunched up if the box was a tad big.

When I went into Fed Ex with a saddle about six months ago, they would not insure it for value (it was an Antares so it was over $2500) unless it was completely wrapped in bubble wrap and they inspected it prior to me closing up the box. I think we had to put some packing materials in there as well (peanuts etc)

I am guessing their insurance carrier changed the policy requirements for expensive items.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I do plan to take it to the FedEx and have them wrap it up, but I figured you guys would know more about it then them Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    We have had a couple shipped over from Europe and come in a small heavy duty card board barrels with clamp on lids. They can be had locally and are not too expensive and can be used over and over again.
    This is THE best way to do it. I always save them but not sure where to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    Make sure you declare a value for the saddle!
    costs extra but worth it.
    I worked at UPS in high school, put insurance on it, and don't put fragile on the box. These boxes are wedged into the back of a truck, then thrown out(if it's not stepped on first) onto a conveyor belt, then its on that belt smashing into other boxes for almost a mile, taking falls, getting smashed into sides. Then a guy(most likely on drugs) will take it and throw it onto another conveyor belt to take it into the truck/trailer. Where again it maybe used as a ladder or crammed into the very top of a trailer. Which sometimes the trailers leak.

I highly recommend insurance.

Someone else said USPS, I would say they're way better at handling packages. They're kept in a container with other priority mail, so they don't get crushed and they're the first container off the truck where it is taken to a woman who is locked securely in a cage who holds the package until its time for the package to leave on the truck.