The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CWD Saddles - love it but sore thigh muscles

Has anyone else loved riding in a CWD saddle but at first it made your leg muscles sore? That is the issue I'm facing but have an opportunity to buy a lovely used one that puts me in a perfect balanced position. My thinking is I'm using different muscles due to saddle shape and they will be fine once I am used to it. On the other hand I am concerned about spending the $$$ and my thigh muscles never getting used to it. Actually hoping I get positive reinforcement on this since I jumped better than ever in that saddle!

It's putting you in a different (correct no doubt) position so you are using different muscles.

If you rode better in it, it's a good thing and the soreness is temporary. Not that ususual.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Agreed with findeight. Sounds like you weren't using the correct muscles before .

That said, haven't had that problem with a CWD, and I think they are great saddles!

I hope your thigh muscles will get used to be in a good position because that is what you should be aiming for!

I'm sure you are going to get used to feel good, riding better and jumping well pretty fast.

love my cwd

I love my CWD! When I first got my new one it made me a bit sore but after it broke in it was great! Wouldn't trade it for any other saddle.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Yes. my new saddle put me in a much farther back position than my older saddle, which definitely caused some muscle soreness as I got used to it! So don't worry...if you feel secure and balanced in the saddle, I think its a good investment!

I never had any discomfort from my CWD, even when brand new it was very comfy, I love it.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My thinking is I'm using different muscles due to saddle shape and they will be fine once I am used to it.
    Bingo. If it fits you and fits your horse, congrats on your new saddle.

It may not even be that you are used to riding in an improper position; my sister has a CWD and I have a Devoucoux. I notice some soreness after riding in her saddle because of the different shape and twist width. And also from her horse bucking, but that's another story.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Does it have the wide twist? If you have a narrow pelvis, you might not like the wider front panel. Sorry, but I don't remember the correct terms for it. Some of the CWDs are built "wide" for the thigh adductors, and some have a more narrow twist. I have wide(r) hips and, thus, prefer the wide twist (not necessarily a wide tree). Does that make any sense?

Nonetheless, I LOVE my CWD.

Hope this helps and good luck with the saddle search!
    Ride on!

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful input - I really appreciate it!

@veritas -- I was told it has a narrow twist but I can tell it is putting my positoin back further in the saddle (which actually makes me feel more balanced and secure) than other saddle I normally ride in.

As others have noted, perhaps you are actually using more of your leg than you used to?

I just wanted to let you know that there are 2 options in the CWDs regarding the wideness of the twist/adductor panel. If it otherwise fits your horse and puts you in a secure position, then that is wonderful!
    Ride on!

Stretch before you ride in your CWD and be thankful you found a saddle helps you ride better. Don't forget the Absorbine Jr. on those sore muscles!
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875