The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Portland, OR hunter/jumper trainer and sales for young WB with dressage foundation?

If you were going to put a young wb with a dressage foundation with a hunter jumper trainer in Portland, OR to be sold, with whom would you put it? And why?

Oz, Inc. in Canby has a lot of sale horse traffic. Very capable trainers as well.

Darcy Bayney at Zona Farms in Hillsboro is brilliant with young horses.

Both places have BEAUTIFUL facilities, so they would be fun to visit =)

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Oz--I have mixed emotions on this program with young horses. PM if you'd like.

Phillipa Fraser of Flipside has a good program/support in place to turn out a quality horse. The BO has a complete training staff from foal to finished horse.

Megan Jordan Gass at Venture farm has had fabulous success in the jumper ring, but is also beginning to make a real presence for her barn in the hunter rings, as well. Her clients/horses are winning at the big shows, in the big ring.

I don't know Darcy well, but her clients seem to be very competitive.

For a very small program, with an AMAZING trainer, I'd hand my horse over to Lee Jorgensen in a flash. She's a sympathetic, kind, educated rider who is interested in creating a finished, quality horse. She's very well connected, so while not a "big name" she certainly can get a horse sold. I'd buy a horse trained/ridden by Lee over many other trainers.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Thank you both very much for the information. Good to know and exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Happy Holidays!

Vicki Zacharias in OC has several young/ greenie sale horses. She's really good with them.

One is getting ready for thermal at the end of Jan, a couple are in training for sale.

The advantage there is that she has several for sale, which people like so they can see more than one for making the trip. She's also connected to eventers as well as the h/j scene.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

I'm from Oregon as well, and centered in Oregon City.

But, Devonwood seems to be the mecca for dressage people around here. They hold a lot of events and have stunning facilities. I heard they were spendy though...

It's nice to see some local people. I'm always down for making new friends.
    Last edited by Jane Honda; Dec. 8, 2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Im not sure why my phone added a random word in there... edited to edit my edit...
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

I'd recommend Jim Dalhquist and Phillip Frazier or Jeff and Shelly Kampf of OZ. Had lessons and ridden with and trained by both - they are good, careful trainers who won't hurt your horse and will take good care of it and you.
    kenyagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Oz--I have mixed emotions on this program with young horses.
    Seconded. Oz seems to be a great place for sales; they have all the "pomp and circumstance" you'd want to see in a barn of show hunters. Does that mean they teach horses well? If I owned the horse, I'd give them a pretty tough interview before it shipped up there.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I will second or third Side by Side- good solid program- BO is excellent- facility is easy to reach- they also have options for starting totally unbroke horses- vets close by, excellent horse shoer- more individual options are available than from other barns-

I trained with Jim Dahlquist for awhile before he moved to Side by Side. I recommend him. He is great with young horses!

with any trainer you'll want to clarify commissions in writing and have a discussion about any bump in pricing.

All of the trainers listed here have connections across the country and into Canada.

it's not at all unheard of for a horse to be sold for more than the asking price and the original owner to have commissions deducted from the original asking price and given the balance.

I would contact all those that you're interested in doing business with and determine which agreement you're most satisfied with.

Most of them will also be going to Thermal at the end of Jan for at least part or all of the circuit.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

I am surprised no one mentioned Tile Valley Farm with Leslie and Megan! They have a great program as well, definitely a spot I would plunk a youngster. I have looked at several from their program and each was always as advertised and very well developed in my opinion.

Darcy/Zona Farms would also be a great place to send a youngster. She has a few Quailhurst horses in her program, and as you know Quailhurst mostly focuses on dressage for their personal horses.